Second Skin Audio

A single 18", windy build. Hopefully.

Okay, so I think I'm going to run a evl 18" this year. in a no wall, ported box. Skar is generous enough to just give away, recommended box specs! 

*Recommended Ported Volume: 3.75 ~ 4.50 ft³
*Recommended Port Area: 55.5 in²
*Recommended Tuning Frequency: 31 Hz

Cool beans right? wrong, I want to change up the tuning of the box a little. to like uhm, 25hz or something( I listen to mostly rap ). So my question is, does the port area/box volume change at all if I where to change the "recommended tuning frequency"? or can I just change the tuning hz to what I'd like, and leave everything else the same

The box will get a little bigger because you have to compensate for the loss in air space due to more port needed to tune so low. Port displacement. Your net volume for your sub would stay the same, but your gross volume for the enclosure would go up. 

It's your sub, and your build, but tuning to 25 hz is really low. Most rap doesn't even play that low. Maybe download winsld or ask someone to model that sub at different tuning. I fear you might be leaving a lot on the table tuning that low. But, like I said, it's your build, that's just my 2 cents. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

The box will get a little bigger because you have to compensate for the loss in air space due to more port needed to tune so low. Port displacement. Your net volume for your sub would stay the same, but your gross volume for the enclosure would go up. 

It's your sub, and your build, but tuning to 25 hz is really low. Most rap doesn't even play that low. Maybe download winsld or ask someone to model that sub at different tuning. I fear you might be leaving a lot on the table tuning that low. But, like I said, it's your build, that's just my 2 cents. 

rite, rite. thanks for the input!
I just built this box for my room, sounds incredible. even with the sharp turns and tiny 6" displacement.
Actually gets down, and sounds SO powerful in my room. thought what the heck, lets see what is sounds like in my suv. Like crap it sounded!
wounder why? But I'm almost betting that it's tuned around there(25ish hz)

270630272_983246258956033_1319504431550987528_n.jpg

IMG_20220112_074911.jpg

IMG_20220112_074859.jpg

59 minutes ago, BassHeadBlakeYo said:

I just built this box for my room, sounds incredible. even with the sharp turns and tiny 6" displacement.
Actually gets down, and sounds SO powerful in my room. thought what the heck, lets see what is sounds like in my suv. Like crap it sounded!

270630272_983246258956033_1319504431550987528_n.jpg

IMG_20220112_074911.jpg

IMG_20220112_074859.jpg

Usually, it's just room acoustics. It's very hard to get great sound in a car because there's so many other obstacles you have to overcome. That's why 300 watts in a home sub shakes the room and 300 watts in a car barely blends with the mids and highs. It's really just environment. 

Well, if all else fails, you've got a really nice home sub application and you can justify upgrading your sound in your truck lol. 

If you want to know for sure the approximate tuning, you can play test tones through it, and when you reach the tuning of the box, the sub will move the least. It's not exact, but it'll put you really close to the tuning. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, BassHeadBlakeYo said:

What amplifier are you using to power the sub in your home?

Archived