Second Skin Audio

Needing some help from box designers with my build not to sure what to do

Bubohms

I'm needing some help with my build and any of you box designers feel free to chime in, it would be greatly appreciated. So I built my box for my (4) Skar evl 12s and had some issues with baffle flex, so naturally baskets broke on two of them. The box was double baffle all the way around with zero bracing because I didn't think I needed it, lol, oops. I have since pulled out the box and added 3/4" steel pipe with flanges and fully braced it up. I went ahead and got rid of the other 2 evls and wanting to pick up some new subs, but I'm concerned if since the box was designed for the evls am I going to have any issues like my new subs not being able to perform to their fullest capabilities? Just not wanting to rebuild because this box is made out of birch and wood is so high right now. The box is 8.15cu ft After displacements tuned to 32hz with a port area of 119 in/2. Electrical consist of 320a alt, 40ah yinlong bank, taramp smart5. Was looking at Resilient sounds gold 12, Savard audio HI-Q 12, American bass xfl 12, sundown SA v2 12. Build is mainly for solid demos, don't really compete, so don't care too much on making numbers. Just want to be loud, low, musical and windy. Chose the RS Golds because they seem to be the one for the job, but I'm just not 100 percent confident in all this. Any help from you more experienced guys is greatly appreciated, thank you. 👍

Here are the Skar EVL (Yellow) and the Resilient Gold (orange) on your box specs.

evl-vs-res.png

The Resilient Gold it looks they can work in a larger net volume than the skar, in fact their spec tops at 2.5 net per driver, they even have larger Xmax to back it up. Conclusion: these subs will work just fine in your current box but you may gain some extra performance going with a larger box.

4 hours ago, Joe X said:

Here are the Skar EVL (Yellow) and the Resilient Gold (orange) on your box specs.

evl-vs-res.png

The Resilient Gold it looks they can work in a larger net volume than the skar, in fact their spec tops at 2.5 net per driver, they even have larger Xmax to back it up. Conclusion: these subs will work just fine in your current box but you may gain some extra performance going with a larger box.

Thank you for this, I’ve just not been 100% sure if I made the right decision or not picking the golds over the other choices I had for my box. I talked to the guys at RS and they said the golds will do great in 1.75-2.5 enclosure so figured with mine being 2cu ft per, the subs could better handle a tad of clean over powering and would have some more port velocity. I’m also ignorant in subs/enclosure technical side of things so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

If you want to see the other plots here they are for your box specs:

Cone excursion, you can see the port loading at 32Hz and the sub reaching Xmax at about 21Hz, engage subsonic at 24Hz or above that frequency:

CD.png

Vent airspeed, you have close to 30 square inches per driver which is more than enough for these drivers:

VV.png

4 hours ago, Joe X said:

If you want to see the other plots here they are for your box specs:

Cone excursion, you can see the port loading at 32Hz and the sub reaching Xmax at about 21Hz, engage subsonic at 24Hz or above that frequency:

CD.png

Vent airspeed, you have close to 30 square inches per driver which is more than enough for these drivers:

VV.png

So than I think the gold is the one to go with over the savard hi-q would you agree? They also all (4) will share a common chamber. Like I said I’m mainly just wanting a nice musical setup that will get loud and low. 

The savard hi-q 12s would need a 7K amp to realize full potential, if run at full power your box would still theoretically be within tolerable limits.

Hope you realize I cannot recommend any drivers based solely on modeling plots, you will need to have some experience with them yourself to know exactly what you are getting.

Also I don't know your enclosure, with such power as 7K box need to meet requirements or you could set yourself up for further damage, remember that modeling curves normally do not account for leaks, port coupling issues or other issues.

37 minutes ago, Joe X said:

The savard hi-q 12s would need a 7K amp to realize full potential, if run at full power your box would still theoretically be within tolerable limits.

Hope you realize I cannot recommend any drivers based solely on modeling plots, you will need to have some experience with them yourself to know exactly what you are getting.

Also I don't know your enclosure, with such power as 7K box need to meet requirements or you could set yourself up for further damage, remember that modeling curves normally do not account for leaks, port coupling issues or other issues.

For sure, Just thought to ask around and get some opinions rather than what actually will happen. I do appreciate your help in this.

Archived