Charging voltage

Hey guys I’m new to all of the electrical upgrades in car audio but I’m planning on running a Taramps smart bass 5k in my 5th gen 4runner and the stock alternator only charges at 14v with engine on. I am replacing the alternator with a dc power 270a and I’ve seen some videos on a voltage booster for the 4Runner that can increase charging voltage to 15volts with engine running (with stock alternator)

I’m planning on doing a battery delete and making my own lithium bank. Now the smart bass 5k from Taramps will do 5k at 14.4v as it claims so with that voltage charging mod, a single run of 2/0 welding wire to the back, 270a alt, good size lithium bank (not sure how many ah I need yet 😅) will I see good, solid voltage that won’t drop too much below 15? I want to make sure I’m always above 14.4v so the amp can make rated power. Also will my charging voltage go up when I upgrade my alternator? Let me know if you guys think I should go with 3 group 31 batteries instead of lithium if it makes sense in this build. Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

The reality is, if you want no voltage drop, you'll need 4 alternators and a huge lithium bank (that's a little off an over exaggeration). The voltage will always fluctuate. Regardless of if your voltage meter is quick enough to record the variations, it is going up and down. Think about Steve's Tahoe. 4 400 amp alternators, 10 AGM's, 16+ volts, pushing 4 18's. I can't say for sure because I've never sat in it, but I would be willing to bet at idol, even he's seeing a little voltage drop. 

What you do have going for you going with lithium is that music is very dynamic and lithium can charge quickly on lulls in the music. So dropping too low isn't as much a worry as with AGM's. 

I get the want to stay pegged above 14.7 volts. But the reality is, unless you spend a couple thousand on a ton of electrical support, it's going to fluctuate. Just don't let it drop too low. In my opinion, of it dips below 12v, you need more. Some people don't even worry until 10v. 

If you plan on running 15v though, make sure you go LTO cells. LifePo4 cells don't like anything above 14.7v

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

24 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Guys I think I’m gonna go with the jy power hp40 lithium battery. With my new alternator that will give me way more than enough power

If you're going to use that voltage booster, you should re-read the first paragraph on the web page for JY1982216023_Screenshot_20220208-192635_PhotoEditor.thumb.jpg.bcc917936f2fe4cc872423ae7d109b7e.jpg

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

The reality is, if you want no voltage drop, you'll need 4 alternators and a huge lithium bank (that's a little off an over exaggeration). The voltage will always fluctuate. Regardless of if your voltage meter is quick enough to record the variations, it is going up and down. Think about Steve's Tahoe. 4 400 amp alternators, 10 AGM's, 16+ volts, pushing 4 18's. I can't say for sure because I've never sat in it, but I would be willing to bet at idol, even he's seeing a little voltage drop. 

What you do have going for you going with lithium is that music is very dynamic and lithium can charge quickly on lulls in the music. So dropping too low isn't as much a worry as with AGM's. 

I get the want to stay pegged above 14.7 volts. But the reality is, unless you spend a couple thousand on a ton of electrical support, it's going to fluctuate. Just don't let it drop too low. In my opinion, of it dips below 12v, you need more. Some people don't even worry until 10v. 

If you plan on running 15v though, make sure you go LTO cells. LifePo4 cells don't like anything above 14.7v

Yeah I understand it would fluctuate but I’ve seen guys on YouTube have their voltage only drop like 2/10 of a volt going full tilt on idle. I wanted something like that and yes I did see the optimal charging voltage for the jy battery. I saw that it said don’t go over 15.5 on charging voltage and this booster I want can do 14.5-14.6 on boost and 15 on super boost mode. Just wanted to get the most power I can so that 5k can make rated power at 14.4

I got ya. 

Just add the alternator and the battery. Watch your voltage. If you need to add, then you add. 

That's why I like the idea of building a lithium bank and if I want such a wuss I would have. It's not too difficult to add another set of cells to your existing bank for a little more money, than to have to buy another $1000 JY battery because it's not holding the way you'd like it. If I could do mine over again, I would figure out how to build my own. As it stands, I'm assuming I'm going to need to run 2 Cyber 12k's in my setup. Not just one. I also feel the JY battery is better built than my 12k as well. 

the  JY power battery is lifepo4 , max charging is 14.6 , LTO battery chemistry is the one that needs higher charging in the 15 volt range . my suggestion is to run the 270 amp alternator with factory charging voltage  and then run the jy power battery , that's if you don't want to build your own bank (battery) , you could if you choose to build a Headway 38120hp bank of 64ah that will easily run your 5k plus your whole vehicle (do a front battery delete) .

5 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I got ya. 

Just add the alternator and the battery. Watch your voltage. If you need to add, then you add. 

That's why I like the idea of building a lithium bank and if I want such a wuss I would have. It's not too difficult to add another set of cells to your existing bank for a little more money, than to have to buy another $1000 JY battery because it's not holding the way you'd like it. If I could do mine over again, I would figure out how to build my own. As it stands, I'm assuming I'm going to need to run 2 Cyber 12k's in my setup. Not just one. I also feel the JY battery is better built than my 12k as well. 

I like the jy battery because it seems very plug and play and for some reason I feel like it’s safer than a bank but yeah you’re right I may just build my own. Although jy claims with just a 225a alternator that the battery has an output of a little over 8000w so that seems promising. I’ll have to keep researching and make up my mind. Lithium is 100% the way to go with how much smaller and lighter it is, plus the rapid charging. Agms plus my all 3/4mdf 8.5cube box would weigh a shit ton. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, 02Blazer said:

the  JY power battery is lifepo4 , max charging is 14.6 , LTO battery chemistry is the one that needs higher charging in the 15 volt range . my suggestion is to run the 270 amp alternator with factory charging voltage  and then run the jy power battery , that's if you don't want to build your own bank (battery) , you could if you choose to build a Headway 38120hp bank of 64ah that will easily run your 5k plus your whole vehicle (do a front battery delete) .

Have you built your own bank? I would like to build one to be honest. That jy power battery is sexy but very expensive. I feel like lifepo4 would be better with my car too since the stock voltage is only 14. Thanks

3 hours ago, 02Blazer said:

After further review I’m definitely gonna go with the 64ah of headway cells!! I’m gonna get 16 cells and it will save me a ton of money. My only concern is just making sure I get that 14.4v volts so I can make rated power with the Taramps smart bass 5 (rated 5000w at 0.5-2ohms at 14.4v). In the future once I decided to upgrade (have 2 15s now but will probably go 2 more 15s and tuned lower) it’ll be real easy to just add cells

Archived