Charging voltage

It's not too difficult to build. Charge each cell prior.  After building mine I charged it for like a week off and on. Just to get it topped off together. Also use a charger that can do lithium. Get about 3.2 k rms to sub amp and about  600 rms  for mids and highs. I can run it for hours with bank and 270 alt full tilt with no voltage drop.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, killerc998 said:

It's not too difficult to build. Charge each cell prior.  After building mine I charged it for like a week off and on. Just to get it topped off together. Also use a charger that can do lithium. Get about 3.2 k rms to sub amp and about  600 rms  for mids and highs. I can run it for hours with bank and 270 alt full tilt with no voltage drop.  

I’ve seen videos on it and yeah it doesn’t look difficult at all. I have heard about having a certain kind of charger for lithium. You get 3.2k to your sub amp? What’re you metering? Sounds like a solid setup. That’s my goal! Be able to go all out for awhile and not have to worry about it. 

3 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

After further review I’m definitely gonna go with the 64ah of headway cells!! I’m gonna get 16 cells and it will save me a ton of money. My only concern is just making sure I get that 14.4v volts so I can make rated power with the Taramps smart bass 5 (rated 5000w at 0.5-2ohms at 14.4v). In the future once I decided to upgrade (have 2 15s now but will probably go 2 more 15s and tuned lower) it’ll be real easy to just add cells

for a 64ah Headway bank you need 32 cells, you'll be fine with your stock charging voltage , don't be concerned with tenths of a volt (14.4) if you charge at 13.6-14.6 you'll be fine . to build your own Headway bank you'll be around $600.00 , people will tell you cheaper but factoring all the stuff you need , 600 will be about there . 

s-l1600 (20).jpg

2 hours ago, killerc998 said:

you don't need to charge each cell individually , you line all cells up connecting all the positive together and then connect all negative together( NOT connecting the positive to negative !!) and let them sit to balance out (usually a day or two ) once you get them balanced , connect them in your pack(bussbars ,etc.)  put an active 5amp balancer (NOT a BMS)wired correctly to the bank , charge with a lifepo4 charger to 14.4 , then connect to your vehicle . best way is to delete front battery and run everything off the Headway bank...

8 minutes ago, 02Blazer said:

A 64ah Headway bank (Headway 38120HP) will be good for 6400-8000 watts ...

by the way , DO NOT USE THIN BUSBAR PLATES like Parker on youtube , get some Coventry or Project DB bars , i got some off Ebay that are 4mm thick ( the plates in the picture i posted) the ones on Parkers you tube video are 1.143 mm thick , yeah not enough pulling 400-600 amp through it ! i'll be pulling about 450 max amps (Deaf Bonce AAK4000 & D'amore 400.4 ) using the plates(busbar) i got allows me to mount in a group 31 battery box

5 hours ago, 02Blazer said:

for a 64ah Headway bank you need 32 cells, you'll be fine with your stock charging voltage , don't be concerned with tenths of a volt (14.4) if you charge at 13.6-14.6 you'll be fine . to build your own Headway bank you'll be around $600.00 , people will tell you cheaper but factoring all the stuff you need , 600 will be about there . 

s-l1600 (20).jpg

4 hours ago, 02Blazer said:

you don't need to charge each cell individually , you line all cells up connecting all the positive together and then connect all negative together( NOT connecting the positive to negative !!) and let them sit to balance out (usually a day or two ) once you get them balanced , connect them in your pack(bussbars ,etc.)  put an active 5amp balancer (NOT a BMS)wired correctly to the bank , charge with a lifepo4 charger to 14.4 , then connect to your vehicle . best way is to delete front battery and run everything off the Headway bank...

This was super informative! Thank you! So I do all that and I’ll be able to power my car, run 5k amp and multichannel amp just fine then?

14 hours ago, killerc998 said:

No clue on meter. It's a 6th order in a single cab s10 blow through. It's meant to play a wide range.  Amp is 3k but dynos show 3.2k. korean made board

I’m sure it gets loud in a single cab. Heard great things about Korean boards but to save money I am going full bridge. I think full bridge is the future of car audio once they start to really refine them. Everyone is coming out with their own full bridge lines now. What subs are you running? 

Archived