Charging voltage

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, killerc998 said:

Hmmm $600...  I got less then $400 in my 64ah headway battery including a 400 amp isolator.

unless you're buying used cells , Headway 38120HP cells cost around $14 each x 32 = $448 , some busbars cost around $180-$200, plus misc. bolts , lugs ,cable, plus a $20-$25 balancer . you are actually over $600. plus then there is cost of an enclosure for the bank . most of the times people have stuff laying around that they could use (extra couple feet of OFC wire, cable lugs , ring terminals , heat shrink , etc..) but if you don't , these things add up . if you were to make some busbars out of aluminum , you looking at 25-30 bucks instead of $200 for pre-made bars . also an extra cost ,if you don't have one is a power source to charge Lifepo4 batteries.    so if you can get costs down around $400 , you are buying used cells and fabbing up some busbars . for most though , look to spend at least $600.            by the way, ditch the isolator and let the Headway's run your whole vehicle , you'll get better voltage..             

14 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

This was super informative! Thank you! So I do all that and I’ll be able to power my car, run 5k amp and multichannel amp just fine then?

absolutely.. i really doubt you'd pull over 400 amps from that Taramps and don't know how many amps you pulling from the 4ch. but , depending on your busbars, you should be able to pull 750 amps from that bank.

15 hours ago, killerc998 said:

Hmmm $600...  I got less then $400 in my 64ah headway battery including a 400 amp isolator.

i hope your bank holds up , in your build log you said you built for it for under $300. did you buy used cells from someone ??  

2 hours ago, 02Blazer said:

absolutely.. i really doubt you'd pull over 400 amps from that Taramps and don't know how many amps you pulling from the 4ch. but , depending on your busbars, you should be able to pull 750 amps from that bank.

Taramps said it would pull 230max on music I think if I remember right. I’m sure the bank will power the 4ch just fine too. Excited to build it! 

2 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

Taramps said it would pull 230max on music I think if I remember right. I’m sure the bank will power the 4ch just fine too. Excited to build it! 

just be careful and DO NOT OVERCHARGE the bank of Headways beyond 14.6 volts!!!

i would also not advise using an alt with a 14.8 volt set like a CES , you're better off with a high output alt with factory voltage set (Mechman or others that don't have a higher than stock voltage )unless the alt manufacture can set voltage to 14.6 , cause 14.8 charging will degrade your cells over time .

4 minutes ago, 02Blazer said:

just be careful and DO NOT OVERCHARGE the bank of Headways beyond 14.6 volts!!!

i would also not advise using an alt with a 14.8 volt set like a CES , you're better off with a high output alt with factory voltage set (Mechman or others that don't have a higher than stock voltage )unless the alt manufacture can set voltage to 14.6 , cause 14.8 charging will degrade your cells over time .

Ah damn well I just checked dc power's website for the alternator I am getting which has an output voltage of 14.8v. Now the stock charging for the 4runner is only 14 volts max, will this prevent my new alternator from charging at 14.8? i saw a video of a guy with my same 4runner with that same dc power alternator and he still had to boost the charging voltage because he needed over 14 volts to charge his agm (aftermarket northstar he had installed, was not for car audio). If i have to go with a different cell type then that's ok too. Maybe I could get yinlongs (heard they are very safe too) but I know they will be a lot more pricey

6 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Ah damn well I just checked dc power's website for the alternator I am getting which has an output voltage of 14.8v. Now the stock charging for the 4runner is only 14 volts max, will this prevent my new alternator from charging at 14.8? i saw a video of a guy with my same 4runner with that same dc power alternator and he still had to boost the charging voltage because he needed over 14 volts to charge his agm (aftermarket northstar he had installed, was not for car audio). If i have to go with a different cell type then that's ok too. Maybe I could get yinlongs (heard they are very safe too) but I know they will be a lot more pricey

with LTO (Ying Long , lishen, Planno, etc..)unless your running dual alts (stock alt for

vehicle and higher charging alt for LTO bank ) you are then wanting to charge about 15.5 volts . the thing with Lifepo4 (Headway) you can use your stock voltage alt , not all vehicles can be run on 15+ volts , hence why i choose Lifepo4 . my blazer's charging is around 14.2-14.3 on a 240 amp Mechman , was gonna get a 400amp alt but i really don't need it , maybe if i get another AAK4000 !

14 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

what is your stock alt rated at ? 

On 2/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Mattc43 said:

I like the jy battery because it seems very plug and play and for some reason I feel like it’s safer than a bank but yeah you’re right I may just build my own. Although jy claims with just a 225a alternator that the battery has an output of a little over 8000w so that seems promising. I’ll have to keep researching and make up my mind. Lithium is 100% the way to go with how much smaller and lighter it is, plus the rapid charging. Agms plus my all 3/4mdf 8.5cube box would weigh a shit ton. Thanks! 

i hear you about weight ! my 7cu.ft. box 1in. baltic birch with 3/4 added to baffle  and two 55lb. subs  and i'm hating the full weight of it ! 

Archived