Charging voltage

22 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Ah damn well I just checked dc power's website for the alternator I am getting which has an output voltage of 14.8v. Now the stock charging for the 4runner is only 14 volts max, will this prevent my new alternator from charging at 14.8? i saw a video of a guy with my same 4runner with that same dc power alternator and he still had to boost the charging voltage because he needed over 14 volts to charge his agm (aftermarket northstar he had installed, was not for car audio). If i have to go with a different cell type then that's ok too. Maybe I could get yinlongs (heard they are very safe too) but I know they will be a lot more pricey

talk with your alt builder , pretty sure they can bring the voltage down to 14.4-14.6 , if not go with a Mechman 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 02Blazer said:

i hear you about weight ! my 7cu.ft. box 1in. baltic birch with 3/4 added to baffle  and two 55lb. subs  

Yeah man! That is why I do not want to do agms. Too heavy and not nearly efficient as lithium. Just looking at how big my new box is (going from one 12 in a 3 cube box to 8.5 cubes with two 15s (sundown x15 version 2s)) makes me nervous playing it the first time because I bet I'm gonna gain a lot of dbs! Also I swear I will never use 3/4 mdf again. That stuff is heavy and loves to split no matter how careful you are lol.

What two subs are you runnin? What sub amp? My stock alt is 130amps and puts out 14v max I think. So all in all even if dc power's website says the alternator I bought has an output voltage of 14.8 you think I'm ok with runnin a lifepo4 bank then? 

1 minute ago, Mattc43 said:

Yeah man! That is why I do not want to do agms. Too heavy and not nearly efficient as lithium. Just looking at how big my new box is (going from one 12 in a 3 cube box to 8.5 cubes with two 15s (sundown x15 version 2s)) makes me nervous playing it the first time because I bet I'm gonna gain a lot of dbs! Also I swear I will never use 3/4 mdf again. That stuff is heavy and loves to split no matter how careful you are lol.

What two subs are you runnin? What sub amp? My stock alt is 130amps and puts out 14v max I think. So all in all even if dc power's website says the alternator I bought has an output voltage of 14.8 you think I'm ok with runnin a lifepo4 bank then? 

i've got two Crossfire C7v3 15's d1 pushed by a Deaf Bonce AAK4000.1 . ( have the subs and amp already but not installed , building the box right now waiting on a 5' x 5' of 3/4 baltic birch for baffle (subs up /port up ) this is going in my two door blazer in my avatar, going to install 190mil vibraflex for the roof with some GP STFU 200mil on top of that! then get everything installed one of these days !!!

with 14.8 voltage , you are gonna shorten the life of the cells , people will tell you they run fine on that voltage but wonder why their bank degrades after awhile , i am buying new cells from BatteryHookup , so i'm gonna do it right!

26 minutes ago, 02Blazer said:

i've got two Crossfire C7v3 15's d1 pushed by a Deaf Bonce AAK4000.1 . ( have the subs and amp already but not installed , building the box right now waiting on a 5' x 5' of 3/4 baltic birch for baffle (subs up /port up ) this is going in my two door blazer in my avatar, going to install 190mil vibraflex for the roof with some GP STFU 200mil on top of that! then get everything installed one of these days !!!

with 14.8 voltage , you are gonna shorten the life of the cells , people will tell you they run fine on that voltage but wonder why their bank degrades after awhile , i am buying new cells from BatteryHookup , so i'm gonna do it right!

Crossfire and DB are both great brands. With all that sound deadener and that system in that small suv, your shit is gonna pound! I have 4 db arnold 6.5s for my mids and I can't wait to hear those things play. I will keep lookin into it and figure it out. I am gonna try to contact dc power and see if they can still fix that voltage output issue, it has not shipped yet, fingers crossed lol.

29 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Crossfire and DB are both great brands. With all that sound deadener and that system in that small suv, your shit is gonna pound! I have 4 db arnold 6.5s for my mids and I can't wait to hear those things play. I will keep lookin into it and figure it out. I am gonna try to contact dc power and see if they can still fix that voltage output issue, it has not shipped yet, fingers crossed lol.

Mechman makes a 240amp for your vehicle and i'm sure other alt companies can  accommadate you . i have Crossfire XS-M 6.5'sin factory door location  and XS -ST1 super tweeters (in A pillars) , will probably end up adding another pair of the 6.5's in the doors . been slowly getting it done !

26 minutes ago, 02Blazer said:

Mechman makes a 240amp for your vehicle and i'm sure other alt companies can  accommadate you . i have Crossfire XS-M 6.5'sin factory door location  and XS -ST1 super tweeters (in A pillars) , will probably end up adding another pair of the 6.5's in the doors . been slowly getting it done !

I did see that and well I already ordered the dc power alternator weeks ago and it is being assembled now 😅 So now I may have to buy the jypower hp40 which says max charging voltage is 14.8. Not sure how they did this since it is made of lifepo4 batteries but hey. I looked at the wattage chart and with my alternator it'll provide more than enough reserve. Nice man! Building a good system really does take forever and the more you get into this and the bigger you wanna go the more time and money it takes lol. Heard good things about those crossfire mids!

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

I did see that and well I already ordered the dc power alternator weeks ago and it is being assembled now 😅 So now I may have to buy the jypower hp40 which says max charging voltage is 14.8. Not sure how they did this since it is made of lifepo4 batteries but hey. I looked at the wattage chart and with my alternator it'll provide more than enough reserve. Nice man! Building a good system really does take forever and the more you get into this and the bigger you wanna go the more time and money it takes lol. Heard good things about those crossfire mids!

Lifepo4 is Lifepo4 , should not be charged above 14.6 whether it's a JYPower battery or a Headway bank , period . as with anything , always research things for your own knowledge . i myself , with what i've learned would never buy a pre-made battery bank from jy power, limitless, d4s, underground power, etc.. 

build a better bank out of Headways or LTO cells that will give you way more power reserve and output for a lot less money...

19 minutes ago, 02Blazer said:

Lifepo4 is Lifepo4 , should not be charged above 14.6 whether it's a JYPower battery or a Headway bank , period . as with anything , always research things for your own knowledge . i myself , with what i've learned would never buy a pre-made battery bank from jy power, limitless, d4s, underground power, etc.. 

build a better bank out of Headways or LTO cells that will give you way more power reserve and output for a lot less money...

I agree well hopefully dc power will get back to me and we can work something out to lower that charging voltage. Maybe a voltage regulator could work? Ideally I’d like to build a headway bank but we’ll see. Those pre made banks are crazy expensive, you’re right 

27 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

I agree well hopefully dc power will get back to me and we can work something out to lower that charging voltage. Maybe a voltage regulator could work? Ideally I’d like to build a headway bank but we’ll see. Those pre made banks are crazy expensive, you’re right 

hopefully , if not , run your Headways at 14.8 , but buy new cells from BatteryHookup.

https://batteryhookup.com/products/new-headway-38120-hp-3-2v-8ah-lifepo4-10-20-2020

I found, that the 5th gen, has a fused, line, to sense turn on voltage. I got a GMC fuse, with a diode, that tricks the alt to see about 1 volt less, that its actually putting out. (like we use to do to alternators back in the day, to get a higher charge voltage, i use to do the same, but opposite, when running a tick higher voltage, but my amps didnt like 15v,.. id put a inline diode, and show the turn on wire, a volt down, and it did the trick) 

I would never see over 14v even cold as balls,... now, even hot. 

1821369917_4runnercharge.thumb.jpg.a3884312a8a95adb6743b43e6e21702b.jpg

216667555_4runnerchargevdc.thumb.jpg.8d77d8256a45a02d68b30525004563a2.jpg

EDIT-

Part number - General Motors, DIODE, 12135037

Archived