Sonic Electronix

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, slybu said:

Hey all, was wondering, would 2 x 12 inch sealed subs getting 300w each be same loudness as a single 12inch sealed sub getting 600w?

It really depends on the enclosure and install. But generally speaking, all things equal, 2 12's 300 watts each is usually louder than 1 12 on 600 watts. Though, like I said, there are a lot more factors involved than just cone area. And really, the diffrence in volume still wouldn't be a huge difference either. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 minute ago, slybu said:

Ahh does that still apply then if say the single 12inch is in a 1cuft box and the 2x12inch are again in 1cuft each box, sub brand and model being the same for all?

Well, that depends on the sub. If your single, 600 watt RMS sub needs a cube and a half to perform optimally, and your putting it in an enclosure that's a little too small, it will effect output and sound quality. How much? That depends on the sub. Same with the 2 300 watt RMS subs. That's why I stated it depends a lot on the install. 

Let's just say you go off specifically manufacturer recommended enclosure volume. Same brand subs. You're single sub option recommends 1 cubic foot. You get this much output from it. Then, let's say the 300 watt subs recommend say .75 cubes per sub. Usually, and I say usually, not always, the 2 subs are going to generally be louder than the single. 

If you're putting the 2 subs in an enclosure that might be a tad too small, that can effect the outcome. If you're putting the single sub in an enclosure that might be a tad too big, that can effect it as well. Also, those 2 scenarios can effect what frequencies the volume is amplified more than others. 

Unfortunately, it's not all cut and dry, this will be louder than that. Modeling specific subs in a specific enclosures with Modeling software can give you a pretty good idea on what's going to happen. But even that isn't 100%.

The best way to go about planning your system is measure the space in which you're willing to give up, and choose the sub(s) that best fit the space. If you can download a program that can model subs and enclosures, or maybe you can ask someone that would be willing to do so for you, that will help a lot as well. 

The human ear generally hears a 10 to 11 db increase to be "twice as loud". All things being equal, generally adding a sub on the same amount of wattage can gain you 3 to 5 decibels. Still an increase, but not a huge increase. A single sub in the right box can be louder than 2 subs in the wrong box. Moving from a single sub in the wrong box to 2 subs in the correct box on the same power can gain you 5 to 8 decibels (generally speaking). 

I know that isn't the answer you're looking for. But I'm not going to bull crap you either and tell you yeah, 2 subs are louder than one. I want to give you all the information I can, so you can make the right decision the first time, and be happy with your system. 

If same sub/brand like you said, assuming they're 600w subs. Personally, I'd choose 1 in the recommended enclosure over 2 in the recommended enclosure while giving them half their RMS rating. My opinion is subjective, but I don't think sacrificing the extra space is worth the chance that it might be a little louder. What sub(s) are you looking at, is the 600w amp something you already own?

12 minutes ago, CorNut said:

If same sub/brand like you said, assuming they're 600w subs. Personally, I'd choose 1 in the recommended enclosure over 2 in the recommended enclosure while giving them half their RMS rating. My opinion is subjective, but I don't think sacrificing the extra space is worth the chance that it might be a little louder. What sub(s) are you looking at, is the 600w amp something you already own?

I was assuming the 600 watt single 12 was different than the two 300 watt RMS 12's. But that is a good point. I would rather give a 600 watt RMS sub "600 watts" over giving 2 600 watt RMS subs 300 watts each

I was just thinking about what someone had said to me. They said that 2 subs even with 100w each would sound louder than one of those same subs given 600w due to the 2 subs having double the surface area and more power not making that much of a difference when using 1 sub in 1cuft vs 2 subs sharing a 2cuft box.

29 minutes ago, slybu said:

I was just thinking about what someone had said to me. They said that 2 subs even with 100w each would sound louder than one of those same subs given 600w due to the 2 subs having double the surface area and more power not making that much of a difference when using 1 sub in 1cuft vs 2 subs sharing a 2cuft box.

Once you start giving a sub over the recommended RMS, or under the RMS, the enclosure becomes the key to it all. They say if you're going to give a sub over the recommended RMS, you want a smaller box to add to the stiffness of the suspension, in order to handle the added power. But, as in all things, you reach a point where you'll start to lose your return so to speak. Same thing with under powering a sub. Usually they say to use a larger box so that there less pressure adding to the suspending in order for the sub to fully extend. But at a certain point, it'll almost be like using an infinite baffle, and the sub free air because the box is just too big. 

So, unless you do a ton of homework and modeling of the different enclosures, and different powers, really, I would feed the sub the RMS over trying to figure out optimum enclosure volumes to the power given. Could your 2 12's be louder than the one 12 on RMS, yes, if you have the perfect enclosure for the subs and the power you're giving them. But if it's not done correctly, you're going to end up having to redo everything because you won't be happy with the output. 

Would you have the space to give your 2 subs the airspace they need for 1200 watts? There are 1200-1700 watt amps that are very inexpensive nowadays. And, depending on the vehicle, if you do the big 3 upgrade along with a decent AGM under the hood, you'd be able to power it as well. 

Just a thought

31 minutes ago, slybu said:

Everything else being equal, each time you double power you gain 3dB, every time you double cone area you also gain 3dB, if you double both you gain 6 dB. 

Since 3dB can be such a slight gain this may cause confusion due to setup dependent factors, the clear gain is when you double cone area and power.

If going sealed, assuming you're amping your mids I'd typically suggest going 2x12's and a larger sub amp. What sort of power wire are you running, ofc/gauge? What amp is on your mids? Is there a distribution block you'll be sharing between the 2 amps? Are you only looking to run 600w because you already have the amp or it's all the amperage you can supply due to your power wire, I can try to give you an opinion on what I'd look at doing. What is it going in, is it going in a trunk? If you were just using 600w as an example, if you're not dead set on anything specific I'll try to give my opinions on gear.

Archived