Sonic Electronix

Thanks for the replies. I was just thinking hypothetically, i have a 300w rms sub being fed 250wrms sealed 1cuft box, its a pioneer tsw-304c.

Was just wondering theoretically if 2 of those subs each getting half the power a single sub would get would result in same loudness , less or more loudness

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, slybu said:

Thanks for the replies. I was just thinking hypothetically, i have a 300w rms sub being fed 250wrms sealed 1cuft box, its a pioneer tsw-304c.

Was just wondering theoretically if 2 of those subs each getting half the power a single sub would get would result in same loudness , less or more loudness

Ok. I get it. 

I would say it all depends on the subwoofer model in question, and the enclosure. But, all things being equal, optimum box for optimum box, the 2 12's in your question would be a bit louder than the single 12. Like @Joe X said, everything being the perfect scenario, double the cone area, not the power, around 3 db increase. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, slybu said:

What amp is it? You're running a single 4-ohm sub, if the amp can run 2-ohm, it may be worth adding another if it's inexpensive enough. 

The tsw-304c are 300WRMS, 4 ohm SVC so if you add a second sub your amp would need to meet 600WRMS @ 2 ohm, if it does you would theoretically win 6 dB from the upgrade, if your amp is less, not even that.  if the amp is 300W I don't think that is a worthwhile upgrade (3 db) if you ask me BUT may be the less expensive and easy one.

I definitely wouldn't spend much, if willing to spend a little $ I'd grab a budget amp. Something like a Skar RP-800.1 is inexpensive and people say Skar does rated. I'm not suggesting that specific amp, I have no experience with it. That'll open up a lot more subwoofer options though.

I got an alpine mrv-t707 hooked up to the sub. I was just wondering if i changed the amp and sub to 600w rms amp and sub would it be as loud as 2 x 12s ruining 300w each. People been telling me that 2x12s with 300w each would be louder than a single 12 running 800w since they said cone are makes more difference than power.

Iv added a pic of my sub in the back of the car. Currently the sub is perfect for the amount of space it uses up I don't want to give up any more space otherwise cant get shopping in etc. 

People say doubling power would get 3db more louder but from what i read to my ears 3db will not sound twice as loud?

IMG_20200617_111126.thumb.jpg.331be77beb54943cce0ba9c0ebfa39a3.jpg

2 hours ago, slybu said:

I got an alpine mrv-t707 hooked up to the sub. I was just wondering if i changed the amp and sub to 600w rms amp and sub would it be as loud as 2 x 12s ruining 300w each. People been telling me that 2x12s with 300w each would be louder than a single 12 running 800w since they said cone are makes more difference than power.

Iv added a pic of my sub in the back of the car. Currently the sub is perfect for the amount of space it uses up I don't want to give up any more space otherwise cant get shopping in etc. 

People say doubling power would get 3db more louder but from what i read to my ears 3db will not sound twice as loud?

IMG_20200617_111126.thumb.jpg.331be77beb54943cce0ba9c0ebfa39a3.jpg

If you want more than 3 dB on a single sub just double the power (or more) as you plan but do a ported box, it will only be a few inches wider than your current box but you could gain 7 dB above what you have now.

It looks like he has some width to spare & about 12" height. I can help design a box that'll have an angled back & side port that'd be more recessed/not take up much more/if any usable space. That'd make that amp/sub combo more efficient with materials/work being the only sacrifice.

Archived