Second Skin Audio

Best box tuning for lows

d-nice88

I would greatly appreciate any input on the topic. I'm in the process of walling my ext cab chevy and wanted to know what the best tunning freq for a center/slot ported enclosure would be. I want 20 hz to 35 hz to play as nice a loud as possible. I will be using 4 skar evl 15 d2's on a ampere audio 5k. Recommended 31 hz tuning but I was thinking more along the lines of 28 hz maybe ? What do you guys think ?

• d-nice88 changed the title to Best box tuning for lows
5 hours ago, d-nice88 said:

I would greatly appreciate any input on the topic. I'm in the process of walling my ext cab chevy and wanted to know what the best tunning freq for a center/slot ported enclosure would be. I want 20 hz to 35 hz to play as nice a loud as possible. I will be using 4 skar evl 15 d2's on a ampere audio 5k. Recommended 31 hz tuning but I was thinking more along the lines of 28 hz maybe ? What do you guys think ?

Comes down to what you can do with your available space, low tuning with large port area takes a lot of space. That said in small cabins deep bass is not a much of a concern.

This is my first time trying to wall my truck. Let alone any vehicle as a matter of fact. The shell is built and the dims I have is 39.5 H. 50.25 w. 20.5 D. That is the internal measurements. All I have left to build is the baffles and port. I used 2 sheets of 3/4 birch all around. Top. Bottom. Side to side and back wall. 

Adding 3 inches to every internal dimension you provide and using 1.5" as wood thickness I get a gross internal volume of 23.8 cubic feet, your 4 subs would need 15 cubic feet net so you do have space to spare. A lot.

Giving you ample port area and a 28 Hz tuning your net volume is still pretty high at 18.75 cubic feet net.

As I read more on the subject alot of forms I've read state 33 hz is the best to tune for for both spl and sq. I wonder if the fall off would be too noticeable. I really like rap hip hop rnb and dj rustical type slowed music. Nothing else I really listen to. Maybe I would be ok if I tune to 28 hz. Do you think it would sound decent Joe?  I just bought term pro. I'm justing waiting on the email to drop with the dl link. Can't wait to play around with it. 

Do you mind me asking your opinion on getting it to where it needs to be ? I know I have extra cubic ft and I I plan on bracing using possibly 3 in wooden dowles. I want to do a center port but if I have to do driver side I will if it will get closer to spec. Sad thing is that when I but the box together it has some bowing going on. Like the width changes as you get towards the top. From 50.25 W towards the bottom and 49.5 W towards the top. The height same deal. On the far left side and the far right side. I have 39.25 and as we get closer towards the middle it goes as high as 39.5. This is my first wall and I did alot of learning what NOT to do next time lol. But that is the fun part. 

The drivers can't feel the shape of the box, just the size but if you do a shared port and one side is of different volume than the other that can cause issues, if it is a single chamber then you have no problems of that kind.  Also if your box is not structurally sound, leaks or other issues may develop over time. Just a couple of things to bear in mind.

Archived