Electric cars and car audio?

2 hours ago, Mattc43 said:

that is pretty neat. Have never seen anything like that. Looks kinda complicated tho, I love the traditional look of a bunch of 0 guage and fuse blocks in the back lol 

Very complicated. Dude has another video where he goes into depth about how he did it, but I couldn't find it. 

37 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

I work on Tesla’s and besides the price they are awesome to drive but the biggest complaint is they list 300-400 miles per charge but because they are so fast and fun to drive you average about 120-180 per charge . These things are fast , I’m not sold on electric cars till I see 1k miles per charge and between 25-35k in price for base model. For me I always pictured electric cars with a motor on each wheel like on the back of the hub so no axles needed  and no wiring all fly by wire , but I think we are pretty far from that a lot of stuff is fly by wire now but no enough still to many wires .

I've heard the same thing. My cousin used to work for Tesla as well, at the plant in Fremont CA, test driving a lot of the cars before they're shipped out. He said they're fun as hell. 

I'm not sold on the electric cars either. It takes too long to charge them, and even doesn't it say in the manual to not use the fast charge because it can prematurely damage the batteries?

The range isn't good enough for me either. I want to be able to drive all day, 16-18 hours at least. Or, 5 minute charging that doesn't ruin the batteries overtime.... I'll concede to 10 minutes if I have to. Also, I'm a truck guy. No, not often to I have a trailer or a heavy load, but I do sometimes. I need to be able to drive more than 150 miles before I need to charge. 

Also, I'm lucky to be able to own a home with a 2 car driveway, but what about the people who don't? Are they supposed to run extention chords across the sidewalk? 

On top of all that, at least in California, the law makers keep telling our utility companies they need to shut down their power plants. They're having a hell of a ti

me keeping up, even now. What happens when all these cars need electricity too? 

What happens to the batteries after they're spent? I read about a chinese company that is working on a lithium battery that, once it can't hold a charge anymore, they can actually recycle the lithium to hold a charge again. So that's a plus if they can figure it out. 

45 minutes ago, Phuzun said:

For SPL setups, tap into the high voltage for the amps would be the best way for big power.  100 amp cable goes way further at 250+ volts as well.  This would have other challenges.  Amp designs and other accessories would need to really protect from current exposure, also need to use something like a pyro-fuse instead of the traditional types.  I'm sure teams will figure this out, though it will likely not make it further unless some kind of standard is made for easily tapping into the power vs what you'd have to play with today (like in that Fiat video).

For doing high power 12v systems, you could always go heavy on Ah batteries to make up for the small DC-DC convertors in an EV.  You plug the car in anyways, run a quick connect to the 12v by the charge port and do a 12v charger as well.  Most EVs and hybrids have 100 amp DC-DC in place of an alternator, so not going to keep up with a sustained high power.

Sound quality is way easier in EVs though.  Once you've sound deadened the vehicle, the noise floor is eerily quiet at speed and many also have the insulated glass.  DSPs are going to be pretty essential with all the factory processing.  Entry level hobbyist doing their entire speaker setup is probably over if that continues into low end EVs, though the sub/amp combo will likely still be simple enough to keep people in the hobby.

I fear that the market for easy car audio integration with large systems isn't popular enough to make anyone spend that kind of money on research and development to figure out easy solutions. I really think it'll die, which sucks. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Patent came through,.... and he is just getting started. 

"

Efficiency is typically expressed as
(Power Out / Power In) * 100 = % Efficiency.
Our new amplifier technology is reaching efficiency of 533% while playing music or sine waves at maximum output levels.
At 1 watt of output the Efficiency can be anywhere from 1.3% to 90% depending on energy reserve level.
That’s how it works. Law defying efficiency when you need it most, relatively poor efficiency when it doesn’t matter.
US Patent 11,205,955 👍🏽"

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

7 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Patent came through,.... and he is just getting started. 

"

Efficiency is typically expressed as
(Power Out / Power In) * 100 = % Efficiency.
Our new amplifier technology is reaching efficiency of 533% while playing music or sine waves at maximum output levels.
At 1 watt of output the Efficiency can be anywhere from 1.3% to 90% depending on energy reserve level.
That’s how it works. Law defying efficiency when you need it most, relatively poor efficiency when it doesn’t matter.
US Patent 11,205,955 👍🏽"

I just saw this as well and was blown away! What was it, 9 amps to play 400 watts? 😳

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 1:25 PM, LoudFiat said:

Hey guys, I'm the owner of LoudFiat. I'm working on my own high voltage amplifier and releasing my own HV products. AMA

More info at http://www.LoudFiat.com

That's kick ass dude!!

On a scale of 1 to pucker, how was it tapping into the HV battery? Does the vehicle's controller throw a fit from the unaccounted power draw?

How about the other general logistics? I imagine it's difficult to find wiring/relays/meters/etc rated for that sort of voltage