Second Skin Audio

Recommendation for Subwoofers, Amplifier, Wiring - $550 Max

chrispy

I'm looking for subwoofers and an amp to put in the trunk of my 2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe.

12 years ago in high school (this is my first time logging in since then) I had two 12" Diamond D3 subwoofers on a Kenwood 500w Class D Mono Amp. That's all I ever had and I didn't know much about car audio back then. All I know is that setup banged much more than I need now. Also, I had issues with the amp cutting off at some points when I turned my volume up really loud. So I don't want that happening again.

One question I can't seem to find an answer to is, do I need 2 12's? Will 1 15 do the job? Will 1 12 do the job?What RMS does each sub need to be minimum to make me happy? All I want is some good sound, with good lows, that I can turn up on the highway and still hear. I don't necessarily need to be able to shake my rearview mirror to where it won't stay in place and have it so loud I get pulled over like I did with my last system. Though, it would be fun every now and then. With the Diamond D3 subs and the Kenwood amp I was using back then, it looks like I wasn't even providing close to enough power to match the RMS of the subwoofers. Which has me thinking, are 2 12's even necessary and what is best?

Could anyone please recommend me a subwoofer, box, and amp setup? If need be, I can find a way to build the box myself. I'd love for a setup around $550 max including sub(s), amp, and wiring.

Thanks!

my system

2 12" diamond d3 subs

Kenwood 500 watt class d mono amp

On 4/14/2010 at 5:40 PM, Boon said:

Waaaaaa my system has a minor issue that I can't figure out so I'm gonna quit audio.

Fucking weak man.

You can get a package like this: https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/sdr-series-loaded-bass-packages/products/sdr-1x15d2-rp-800-1d-skar4anl-cca

but if you're willing to spend $500 & build your own enclosure, I'd look at something like this sub: https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/15-inch-subwoofers/products/strato-15

(sign up for the CT Sounds email list for a coupon, you'll get it for $222.50)

this amp: https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/rp-car-audio-amplifiers/products/rp-1200-1d-car-amplifier

($144.50)

You can run this wiring kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQH1CBJ

($44.50)

That leaves ~$90 to build an enclosure keeping you at $500. I don't tend to use CCA but that amp won't require a whole lot of current so you can get by with it on your budget. If you want to run OFC, it'll run you another ~$50 taking you to your $550 limit.

There's other less expensive subs as well, CT has the Tropo 15" for example. It'd require a smaller amp, something that'd only require 4awg OFC. You'd save $ all around going with the Tropo, the Strato has higher xmax and lower Fs, it will do better with the lows.

It really comes down to how much space you're willing to sacrifice though, a single 12 may be all you need anyway.

You can probably spend a lot less and still be happy while taking up less space if you don't want to spend your full limit. You can grab something like a 12" SA Classic ($150) from the Sundown Yard Sale, throw it in ~1.9 net tuned to 32hz on 800-1000w

amp: https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/ct-series-amplifiers/products/ct-1000-1d

($143 after newsletter signup coupon)

alternate amp: https://www.skaraudio.com/collections/rp-car-audio-amplifiers/products/rp-800-1d-car-amplifier

($127.50)

sub: https://sundownyardsale.com/sa-classic/

($150 for a 12" D2)

amp install kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CIJBKK

($73)

For parts minus enclosure materials it'd be around $350 if you go with the Skar amp. That 4awg kit is adequate to add a distribution block & small mids amp down the road if you decide to. You can save a bit on a cheaper 4awg kit if you don't plan on adding a mids amp. If it were me, I'd get the CT amp and knukonceptz 4awg kit, their wire is decent for the price and it gives you a good 25-30A of headroom in case you need it down the road.

Edit*- If you're trying to bang on a budget, there's a lot of amps that'll put out around 1000w RMS for less $. Check out dynos online, here's an example that's currently $110 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V8L14V7

@CorNut I appreciate the response. I've been reading about some options and it seems that Skar is just a chinese cheap option. That's not disrespect to what you've recommended, it's just what I've been reading and want to make sure I have a quality set up. I don't know much about this.. My budget might be cheap but what I really want to make sure is that I at least have a clean set up. From what I've read, they're not the best option and could produce a dirty signal from an amp by them. Is that something you would say is accurate? Do I need to up my budget to avoid something like that or do you think it's fine? Just really looking for direction here since I don't know anything. If I wanted something respectable, reputable, and quality, what do you think my budget would need to be at minimum?

Like I said, I appreciate the response and I'm interested in what you've posted. Just trying to figure out if it's the best option or if I up my budget a couple hundred dollars, that would get me something that's not bottom of the line.

Most of what's around my area on marketplace or craigslist are Kicker, Memphis, Rockford Fosgate. I could use some direction on what brands to avoid, what brands to look for, what RMS of subs to look for, and what RMS amp to look for.

my system

2 12" diamond d3 subs

Waaaaaa my system has a minor issue that I can't figure out so I'm gonna quit audio.

Fucking weak man.

32 minutes ago, chrispy said:

@CorNut I appreciate the response. I've been reading about some options and it seems that Skar is just a chinese cheap option. That's not disrespect to what you've recommended, it's just what I've been reading and want to make sure I have a quality set up. I don't know much about this.. My budget might be cheap but what I really want to make sure is that I at least have a clean set up. From what I've read, they're not the best option and could produce a dirty signal from an amp by them. Is that something you would say is accurate? Do I need to up my budget to avoid something like that or do you think it's fine? Just really looking for direction here since I don't know anything. If I wanted something respectable, reputable, and quality, what do you think my budget would need to be at minimum?

Like I said, I appreciate the response and I'm interested in what you've posted. Just trying to figure out if it's the best option or if I up my budget a couple hundred dollars, that would get me something that's not bottom of the line.

Most of what's around my area on marketplace or craigslist are Kicker, Memphis, Rockford Fosgate. I could use some direction on what brands to avoid, what brands to look for, what RMS of subs to look for, and what RMS amp to look for.

As far as Skar being on the cheap end, you're right. They serve their purpose though. I would really consider them in the high end of the budget brands, if that makes sense. Their amps do rated power, their subs handle their RMS just fine, their quality control in the past has been a little suspect, but if there was ever a manufacturing problem with their equipment, I've never heard of anyone having any problems getting a replacement. They really are what I would suggest to someone on a budget build. If you think I'm blowing smoke, go to YouTube and check out some of the big ass Skar builds dudes are doing. They'll get down, as long as you take care of them. 

That being said, $500 for everything is tough. Quality OFC wire is expensive. A good, strong, Korean amp board can be expensive. Tough, under rated subwoofers can get expensive. And the electrical upgrades to your vehicle to power said equipment can get expensive. If you buy expensive, quality equipment, then half ass the install, you just spent all that money for nothing, because it's going to sound like crap, and 9 times out of 10, you'll end up damaging your equipment as well. 

Maybe you can find some good, used stuff in your area. Fosgate, Sundown, incriminator, and JL are my favorite amplifier brands. Expensive though. B2, Sundown, Deaf Bonce, and FI are my favorite, quality subwoofer brands. Again, expensive. 

As far as your other questions, measure how much space you're willing to give up for your system in your vehicle, and we can go from there. You could buy the best subs and amps in the world, but if you don't have the correct airspace for the correct enclosure size, it's all for not. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

12 hours ago, chrispy said:

I have no experience with Skar TBH, but people on a budget love them. That being said, my last bit talking about the Sundown 12" SA Classic (rev3), I mentioned in that setup I'd choose the CT amp, KnuKonceptz wire & Sundown sub. Of all the options, that's the route I'd personally go. That included no Skar items, but that isn't anything against Skar. Also, most brands have their stuff manufactured overseas, it isn't just Skar. I know some of the Skar stuff is sourced in the US, but most isn't. That goes for most brands out there, Kicker is one of the original US audio brands but now most of their stuff is sourced overseas too.

If you give measurements and let one of us design you a box, my guess is that single SA-12 & CT 1kw amp will shock you. You'll only have $365 into it plus a sheet of 3/4" MDF but you'll be hitting way above your weight class. If you wanted to run 2xSA-12's, that's when I'd actually recommend a Skar amp because I've seen it perform on a dyno. If you ran an RP-2000 you'd push 2 SA-12's np (assuming your electrical is up for it). Sundown isn't bottom line btw, neither is CT Sounds.

RMS ratings don't mean much with the lesser brands. The big names like Kicker, Rockford etc tend to hit rated RMS but so do some of the less expensive brands. The problem is, you don't know which ones do it, Skar is one that does. The Blaupunkt I linked for $110 doesn't hit rated, it claims 2800w @ 1ohm RMS but realistically it puts out 1000w RMS, which is fine if you know it's a 1000w amp and not expecting 2800w. I'm sharing the info you need, there's lots of good brands, lots of bad brands. You have a budget, I'm giving you my opinion on what to get based on your budget. I need to know how much space you're willing to sacrifice, if you're willing to sacrifice enough space to run 2x SA-12's & an RP-2000, you won't be disappointed, I assure you.

Check out this dyno & its 1-ohm certified result (<1% THD), it's not dirty power. The Sundown SA-12 I linked is rated at 750w, but they're tough. They love clean power, it's ok to run that amp on a pair of them assuming you set your gains properly. Be sure to get the D4's if you run a pair, not the D2's. If you're only going to run 1, get the D2.

3 hours ago, chrispy said:

You want two sub or one because that changes the price considerably, 2 subs and an amp for $550 need to be budget parts but one sub and one amp can be better quality parts.

If your question is not clear the answers likely won't be either.

As far as brands to avoid, what do you mean? bad reliability? Bad sound quality ? Looks cool or ugly?

23 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

As far as your other questions, measure how much space you're willing to give up for your system in your vehicle, and we can go from there. You could buy the best subs and amps in the world, but if you don't have the correct airspace for the correct enclosure size, it's all for not. 

I measured my trunk. I'd be willing to put about a 39.5" (width) x 15.5" (height) x 15.5" (depth) box, at maximum in there. As far as airspace, google tells me that my trunk is 12 cubic feet.

Here are my trunk measurements: Trunk-measurements.jpg

@CorNutI'd definitely be willing to have someone design me a box and I'll build it myself. I haven't really looked around the forum much, but who should I contact that would be willing to do that?

I think I want to go with two 12's or one 15" sub. I'm thinking that a 15 will be plenty and that I will save trunk space, but I'm not 100% sure on that because I don't know what the enclosure dimensions would be.

@Joe Xby brands to avoid I just mean bad reliability, bad sound quality, and it being a brand that I can spend just as much on a lesser known brand and have more to gain from doing so.

my system

2 12" diamond d3 subs

Fucking weak man.

I can help design a box for you, then we can leave the design on the thread for a couple days for people to look over/make changes. I have drill at the fire dept tonight but I can mock something up this weekend. Do you want the back on that upper shelf? What's the width you have up there before it has any angles that'd interfere with the rectangular width of the box sliding in? How deep is it in the upper area between the furthest aft portion of the seat/whatever's in the way first & the transition?

I'm seeing 15.5" height back there, then a 7.5" transition, is that correct? Here's a pic of one I designed & built a few weeks ago for a single 12, we can do something similar.

Whatever I design, you'll have to tape some cardboard or something together with the dimensions and make sure it fits in there before you actually build it, that's important as I'm sure you know.

Looking, there may not be much depth available. If there's not, there's probably no reason to include it since you'd lose potential width. If we do just a rectangular box, I can get that done tomorrow since it'll be straightforward.

IMG_20220213_131148_01.jpg

20220213_135123.jpg

1 hour ago, chrispy said:

I measured my trunk. I'd be willing to put about a 39.5" (width) x 15.5" (height) x 15.5" (depth) box, at maximum in there. As far as airspace, google tells me that my trunk is 12 cubic feet.

Here are my trunk measurements: Trunk-measurements.jpg

@CorNutI'd definitely be willing to have someone design me a box and I'll build it myself. I haven't really looked around the forum much, but who should I contact that would be willing to do that?

I think I want to go with two 12's or one 15" sub. I'm thinking that a 15 will be plenty and that I will save trunk space, but I'm not 100% sure on that because I don't know what the enclosure dimensions would be.

@Joe Xby brands to avoid I just mean bad reliability, bad sound quality, and it being a brand that I can spend just as much on a lesser known brand and have more to gain from doing so.

You can do 2 12 or one 15 in that trunk, no space problem, so you are limited by your electrical, if you want to avoid upgrades you want to stay below 1000W depending on your car,  so the question is will you be willing to buy electrical later on or not?

Archived