Sonic Electronix

2 Subs and amp for under $1,000. Would you go with these or something else?

I'm new to the game and have done a fair bit of research but still a little lost.

I'm looking to get 2 10" subs and an amp for under $1,000. I'm not including the cost of anything other than the subs and amp here.

I'm going to construct my own enclosure but I'll either have a 2.8 cu ft enclosure to fit both subs or two 1.2 cu ft enclosures. 

Subs I've been considering are:

• Incriminator Lethal Injections
  • Dayton HO's
  • Sundown SAv2

Amps, I'm even more clueless but a few that I've saved are:

• Sundown SIA 2500D (or 3500D)
  • Hifonics Brutus BRX3016.1D
  • Taramps HD 3000 watt
  • XDX XAD14 3000w

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of the HD 3000, if I were to go Taramps I'd grab the Smart 3 Bass and run a pair of D2 subs down to .5-ohm. That amp runs more efficient the lower ohm you run. Is that 2.8cu ft gross you have for the subs? I'm partial to the Sundowns but they may like a larger enclosure than that. It's more than enough if that's the net volume. Are you planning on going sealed? If so, I'd advise against them. Let us know the specifics on the enclosure and we'll be able to answer better on sub selection. I've done a single SA-10 tuned to 32 in 1.25 with great results. What are your max dimensions? I can mock something up for criticism. There's people better at designing than me but I can get you close.

7 hours ago, YachtMaster said:

I'm new to the game and have done a fair bit of research but still a little lost.

I'm looking to get 2 10" subs and an amp for under $1,000. I'm not including the cost of anything other than the subs and amp here.

I'm going to construct my own enclosure but I'll either have a 2.8 cu ft enclosure to fit both subs or two 1.2 cu ft enclosures. 

Subs I've been considering are:

• Incriminator Lethal Injections
  • Dayton HO's
  • Sundown SAv2

Amps, I'm even more clueless but a few that I've saved are:

• Sundown SIA 2500D (or 3500D)
  • Hifonics Brutus BRX3016.1D
  • Taramps HD 3000 watt
  • XDX XAD14 3000w

any input would be greatly appreciated.

How's your electrical?, the full bridge amps need very good electrical, specially the taramps.

From your amp list leave the taramps out, not even made for subs, the hifonics don't do rated.

From your subs list, the IAs need a lot of space and HOs forget it for such powerful amps.

8 hours ago, Joe X said:

How's your electrical?, the full bridge amps need very good electrical, specially the taramps.

From your amp list leave the taramps out, not even made for subs, the hifonics don't do rated.

From your subs list, the IAs need a lot of space and HOs forget it for such powerful amps.

@Joe X Right now, everything is factory. I'm not partial to anything, just trying to make something good with the money I have. This is my first build, so I don't have much knowledge in it, despite having done a lot of research. lol. 

If you have any recommendations, I'd be more than willing to hear them.

14 hours ago, CorNut said:

Instead of the HD 3000, if I were to go Taramps I'd grab the Smart 3 Bass and run a pair of D2 subs down to .5-ohm. That amp runs more efficient the lower ohm you run. Is that 2.8cu ft gross you have for the subs? I'm partial to the Sundowns but they may like a larger enclosure than that. It's more than enough if that's the net volume. Are you planning on going sealed? If so, I'd advise against them. Let us know the specifics on the enclosure and we'll be able to answer better on sub selection. I've done a single SA-10 tuned to 32 in 1.25 with great results. What are your max dimensions? I can mock something up for criticism. There's people better at designing than me but I can get you close.

@CorNut This would be a gross volume. Looking at it again, I believe I under allotted for it. I'll include a rough picture of where the enclosure will be, to give you a better idea. But, also had an assumption that I would at least need to give up 3.5" of height to essentially have the enclosure be lifted off floorboard and flush with the middle hump. Ideally, I'd have it in the cargo area, but I need to use all of that area frequently. So, I was hoping to make something work in the floor area there. I'm seeing now, 4.83' if I did a long enclosure for both (with the assumption I need to remove 3.5" of height to leave space under and for the floor hump) or 1.76' if I did separate enclosures. Also, the back seats will be down 24/7 and not in use, fyi.

If there are other subs and amps you think I should opt for, I'm open ears. 

example.png

For electrical, the standard upgrades are the big 3 (you should do that even if you run 1000w), high output alternator & a better battery/batteries depending on your need. 

Is this going in a truck/SUV? If so, do you happen to know what factory alternator you have in your model? Some of them come with decent alternators from the factory. Is there absolutely no room behind the seat you're willing to spare, and there's no room under the seat? Here's a link with pictures of what I did in my truck:

http://www.southpad.com/silverado

It may not be ideal since you're limited on sub selection but you won't lose the use of your backseat if your needs ever change. If you are willing to lose its use though (you don't use it anyway), removing it would give you all the room you need.

If you have space under or behind your seat, are you willing to go with shallow subs? Shallow subs aren't capable of what your previously listed subs are, but they may not require electrical upgrades besides the big 3 and possibly a better battery either.

If you keep the seats, going with a single higher end 12, but taller enclosure will allow for a better suited enclosure for the sub, and depending on your factory alternator, you may be able to get by with only doing the big 3.

If you do have room under your seat, but only 3-4", you can raise the seat a few inches to get more space.

48 minutes ago, CorNut said:

For electrical, the standard upgrades are the big 3 (you should do that even if you run 1000w), high output alternator & a better battery/batteries depending on your need. 

Is this going in a truck/SUV? If so, do you happen to know what factory alternator you have in your model? Some of them come with decent alternators from the factory. Is there absolutely no room behind the seat you're willing to spare, and there's no room under the seat? Here's a link with pictures of what I did in my truck:

http://www.southpad.com/silverado

It may not be ideal since you're limited on sub selection but you won't lose the use of your backseat if your needs ever change. If you are willing to lose its use though (you don't use it anyway), removing it would give you all the room you need.

If you have space under or behind your seat, are you willing to go with shallow subs? Shallow subs aren't capable of what your previously listed subs are, but they may not require electrical upgrades besides the big 3 and possibly a better battery either.

If you keep the seats, going with a single higher end 12, but taller enclosure will allow for a better suited enclosure for the sub, and depending on your factory alternator, you may be able to get by with only doing the big 3.

If you do have room under your seat, but only 3-4", you can raise the seat a few inches to get more space.

@CorNut It's a 2005 Scion xB. You aren't able to do anything under the backseat unfortunately, the space doesn't exist. Under the front seats, there looks to be 7" of clearance. I'm thinking the alternator should be 80amps. 

2 hours ago, YachtMaster said:

@CorNut It's a 2005 Scion xB. You aren't able to do anything under the backseat unfortunately, the space doesn't exist. Under the front seats, there looks to be 7" of clearance. I'm thinking the alternator should be 80amps. 

Scion xB boxes are like this:

img-1723.jpg

@Joe X Yea, and ideally I would get that or something similar; however, I do deliveries in this vehicle and have the backseats laid down 99% of the time to make use of the cargo space. That's why I'm limited to the area I've spoke of. I know it's not ideal and I truly do appreciate your suggestions. I'm just hoping I can make something work for the area I do have to use. 

I assume that worst case scenario, I can do something similar to what @CorNut spoke of, and have some kind of enclosure to fit shallow subs. Do you guys think that would be a better idea, given the variables at play?

Looking at what type of system you're after, I haven't found a shallow mount capable of what you're after. There is the Sundown SD4's, they claim they're shallows, but they're not very shallow. You could remove that seat though, and build the enclosure so the top of it acts as a bench so to speak, giving you the larger cargo area while front firing your subs. That wouldn't be difficult to accomplish. You'd get the added area and you could get a couple 12's in there with adequate airspace.

Archived