Sonic Electronix

2 Subs and amp for under $1,000. Would you go with these or something else?

3 hours ago, YachtMaster said:

@Joe X Yea, and ideally I would get that or something similar; however, I do deliveries in this vehicle and have the backseats laid down 99% of the time to make use of the cargo space. That's why I'm limited to the area I've spoke of. I know it's not ideal and I truly do appreciate your suggestions. I'm just hoping I can make something work for the area I do have to use. 

I assume that worst case scenario, I can do something similar to what @CorNut spoke of, and have some kind of enclosure to fit shallow subs. Do you guys think that would be a better idea, given the variables at play?

Depending on what you transport you could do a down firing design, you can place heavy stuff on the top of it and nothing will happen:

DOWNF.png

@Joe X That's exactly what I was envisioning going in that floor board area. I was thinking I would have 3.5 inch legs. I'm assuming those legs are 2" there. Only difference is the box would also rest on the middle hump. So, I was thinking as long as there were a few inches of play between the sub and legs/hump, it might could fly. If resting on the hump is a deal breaker, I could always build it taller. I just liked the idea of it being flush with the top of the folded down backseat. The dimensions look fairly close to what I'm needing, only I would be giving up a few inches in width but having extra in height. 

With that being said, what subs would work best in a downfiring enclosure (under $300 per, presumably 10")? 

Are you opposed to removing your back seat since you aren't using it/won't be able to use it anyway? There's lots of good 10's in that price range, you can get a pair for that. You could build the enclosure to make your cargo area larger than it is, using the enclosure as part of it. There's nothing wrong with setting your enclosure on the hump, you'll just do some legs of some sort on the sides for support. I think removing the seat will get you a better enclosure.

@CorNut No, I probably could. I just figured I could make it work without having to. But, this a what removal of the backseat would look like, to give you an idea. I could build up a platform and put the enclosure on it, as long as I have the room indicated in the image for storage. At which point, I may go with the 12s as you guys have suggested. 

With that being said, which sub & amp would you suggest I now go with, now that I wouldn't be so limited? I'm assuming I will need to do the big 3 upgrade and upgrade the alternator as well. I have a super old Alpine CDA-9886 head unit which I plan to upgrade to a Boss BE10ACP. I'm going to upgrade the front speakers/tweeters to either the Morel Maximo 6's or Crescendo Mezzo SQ2's, but there again I don't know much about either aside from general recommendations. 

Untitled.png

I'm not saying you should remove it, but it sounds like you'd want something louder than just the floor will give you. They didn't waste any space with that design did they? For subs on your stock alternator, you wouldn't be able to run a huge amp. A pair of 10" or 12" Incriminator i-series would call for around 1000w but they like fairly large boxes. Not being able to use the cargo area makes it difficult in that vehicle.

No reason why you couldn't make that work I did that in my old Xb. Back seat was out so I didn't have to raise the platform but it could have been done with the seat in. Word of warning the roof on the Xb likes to flex a lot so you may want to consider a layer of deadening. Personally I'd wait until you have your system in to see how it is for you. I had a pair of 18's in mine so 10's or 12's may not cause you issues. 

44 minutes ago, YachtMaster said:

@CorNut If I built a platform to level the cargo space with what would be the back seat floor board, I should be able to do something like this, right?

bac001.jpg

You can do that, sounds like hard work but you can, if you can do 12s it will be much louder for the watt, the ideal location for the box is close to the rear gate but many SUVs are setup like tou show and results are pretty decent.

Is your spare tire under the floor in that cargo area, if so what size is it? By the looks of their no wasted space design, I'm guessing there might not be enough room/height for a JBL Basspro Hub. Have you seen those? Not having a trunk to middle it, it might give you some bass.  

You won't be floating towels, but your limitations don't leave many options that aren't a lot of work. You don't lose your spare tire with that sort of thing, it sits inside the rim of your spare. I've never seen/heard one, but it should help fill out the sound. 

Are you willing to build a side firing enclosure to put against the wall of your cargo area? Is it just the depth you need or can you not sacrifice a little width either?

Archived