Second Skin Audio

CHUCHERO Box for parades

shane35fowler

I'm in South West Louisiana and realized yesterday at our Mardi Gras parade that my little ION speaker isn't going to cut it....

So I had an idea to build a Chuchero style system but using properly ported/sealed enclosures for the drivers and a DSP to tune. 

I've got some ideas for the mids and highs to stay budget friendly (I already have half of it) but getting some lows out of a system like this is my concern.... Obviously it's not going to be hair trick bass....but some authority would be nice. 

Currently already have a marine gauge hole receiver with 4V preouts and Bluetooth/Aux input and  pairs of 4ohm Crescendo PWX 6.5 and FT1s to cover mids/highs with a JBL BR-A 400.4 and Banda Black 400.4. 

May add a Stevens MB8 or similar pa 8" with some midbass. 

Was thinking something like a pair of JBL madador max 15" for lows. Decent sensitivity 90db and a fairly low FS at 30hz for a pro audio speaker under 160$.  On a (250-300$) Banda Beat 3001 2300w at 2ohm at 12.6V and 2900w at 2ohm at 14.4V. 

Using the available specs recommend by JBL it looks like a 2.3CuFt(65L) something like 20x20x15" enclosure with a dual  3" Port(7.5CM)  at 7.6" long(19.5CM) should yield a tunning frequency of 40.5hz?  That sound about right??

I would definitely be open to other suggestions but please keep in mind the budget as I would be donating this to the Non profit for thier parade float. 

May try the Dayton DSP or pick up another JBL DSP4086 as I'm already familiar with it's interface and it being an amp also would free up some power for the mids. 

Other questions:

PWX6.5 TS parameters to get a box size likely ported. 

My goal is to have a easily mountable 40x20x15"  Chuchero box for the left and right side of the parade float and a small box for the HU and Processor and amps. I'm thinking a couple of motorcycle Lipo batteries wired in parallel should do the trick for a couple of hours of play time.  What do y'all think?

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

If this is dedicated to a parade float, couple questions on logistics:
For power:
- Is the float self-powered, or on an automotive chassis? i.e. could you tap into an electrical system there?
- Would it make more sense to use a DJ amp and a small generator? Not sure what sort of run-time you're targeting
- If weight isn't a concern, just use whatever batteries are the cheapest per watt-hour. I think lead-acid still wins out here
- If you go the lithium route, be mindful not to over-discharge them

For the box:
- Would it make more sense to use a folded horn for this application? Open question. I've never done this stuff before, but I know that folded horns are great for outdoor/open space use

It's a gooseneck trailer pulled by a truck so short of running 30' of cables to the battery that's not really feasible......  Yea I'm familiar with Lipo batteries and thier health (for the most part....I haven't ventured into the yinglong packs yet) my reasoning for using two lipo motorcycle batteries was I could use them in my own bike with audio the rest of the year. 

Runtime is only about 1.5 -2 hours max. 

Problem with the generator is noise floor(most are in the high 80db level) and carbon monoxide of the slow moving parade.... The DJ equipment would be much easier (as I already have everything) but it's much larger and cumbersome (at least what I already have) and I'd still have to power it. 

A folded horn my work they can just be so dadgum shrill..... Having the FT1s was really the only reason I was going to use them.  

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

battery/cables: yeah fair. If you want to recycle the battery for later use on a bicycle, you'll probably want something that gives the highest specific energy (Wh/Kg). That would be either NMC or LCO. That would push you to ~200wh/kg. So if you want to run ~3kw of audio for 2 hours on music, you'd want 1.5-2kwh of battery as music is generally regarded as a 50% duty cycle. Amplifier effeciency not withstanding. So the whole pack would come in around 10kg.

The yinglong batteries are LTO chemistry. Great for TONS of charge/discharge cycles. They're pushing capacitor lifetime. But they have a relatively low specific energy, and energy density. Fine if you want a battery that'll last 10 years or what something you can toss a 400 amp charger on and have the pack topped off in 6 minutes. Or in an automotive application where weight and size isn't at a premium. But that might be difficult to work if you want double-duty on a bike.

Horn: honestly I was talking about that for the subwoofer. Won't be shrill if you have the LPF at 100hz :P 

Other thoughts on power:
- Lithium "generators" are a thing. Might be worth investigating
- If you aren't afraid of DIY stuff and ripping apart a battery pack, this place has very cheap packs. Note that they're factory rejects or recycled units. So it might have a bad BMS, bad cell or 2 in the pack, etc. So you'll want to test stuff thoroughly as you get it. But if you just want something cheap to beat around with, might fit the bill.

Archived