Sonic Electronix

I want to add a little bass to my 2020 Acura RDX. It comes with a ELS 3D sound system which sounds really good but is missing the depth in bass. So im thinking of adding a 8w7 in a sealed box running off a JL XD600/1 which will give the sub 400 to 500rms at 3ohms.

My question is what kind of LOC will I need? I have 4 in mind bur not sure if I need a regular one or one with bass restoration. I watched steves video and got some info from there. THe LOC im looking at are the following below.

SMD HLC-2

Kicker LOC with remote wire

Kicker KeyLoc Smart

Audio Control LC2i Pro

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

54 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I'd be willing to bet money, that stereo has bass roll off. I'd go with the audio Control. 

Does the Kicker SmartLock do the same thing?

https://www.kicker.com/keyloc-smart-line-out-converter

Might be worth seeing if the signal before the factory amp is processed. I have a Bose setup in my CX-5 and the signal ahead of the amp is full bandwidth with no equalization, time alignment or otherwise. When I add my sub I'll be tapping of those lines which will let me maintain all the factory functions and have amazing bass too. Worth reading up on it because that would be the way to go over using a factory processed signal.

1 hour ago, Daddy_ said:

Does the Kicker SmartLock do the same thing?

https://www.kicker.com/keyloc-smart-line-out-converter

That kicker looks mighty interesting. I will say that! It seems to have quite a few features that will help with making sure you can get the best sound possible. 

I have used the Audio Control myself and can tell you, seeing up and using the Accu-bass is easy, and it works well. 

It sounds like the Kicker will level match all frequencies to get the flatest response possible. What signals are boosted, and which are cut, I can't tell you. Talking with some SQ guys about the Kicker Key Amplifiers though, they say, obviously, you get better sound and control our of a DSP, but for a quick, budget setup, the key amplifiers do a decent job with correction and level matching. 

So the Kicker LOC might be worth a try, but I know for sure that the audio Control works well

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I’ve done multiple installs on Honda/Acura vehicles and they all do the bass roll off as you increase the volume. If your factory system has a subwoofer/s , that channel is crossed over at the amp to only put out the lowest frequency that sub/s can reproduce. You will definitely need a bass restoration loc like the Audiocontrol Lc2i. The output of whatever amp/sub you use will be unsatisfactory if you don’t.

10 hours ago, Bluetegjoe said:

I’ve done multiple installs on Honda/Acura vehicles and they all do the bass roll off as you increase the volume. If your factory system has a subwoofer/s , that channel is crossed over at the amp to only put out the lowest frequency that sub/s can reproduce. You will definitely need a bass restoration loc like the Audiocontrol Lc2i. The output of whatever amp/sub you use will be unsatisfactory if you don’t.

So the Audio control you have experience with and will do the job? What about the kicker KeyLoc will it so the same thing? Only reason I ask is I have a friend who works in a electronic store and can get me a better price than retail.

Also on a side note say I the 8w7 and get the kicker smart 500.1. Would I need a LOC still or does this have it built in. And my sub would be under powered at 225 at 3ohms.

https://www.kicker.com/key-5001-1-channel-smart-amplifier

2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Are the 8" w7's dual or single voice coil? 

There 3ohm. Also will the JL Audio fix82 also work?

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-subwoofers-w7ae/products/8w7ae-3-car-audio-w7ae-subwoofers-92117

My quotation is if the 8" W7 is a dual 3 ohm or a single 3 ohm choice coil. 

The fix 86 will do the job. But from what I've gathered is you set the fix 86 to a certain volume on the head unit, then it fixes that volume. Then to turn the volume up and down, you have to use the volume knob of the fix 86. Not a huge deal, but if you change the volume in the head unit, you lose the "fix"

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived