Second Skin Audio

Assistance with box design for 2 15s.

Hey there, purchased a Crown Vic recently ( I know, trunk car. Backseats don't fold down, etc ).

I just ordered 2 Skar EVL 15s. Will probably be putting them on a JP23 but that's still up in the air until I make some electrical adjustments and whatnot (big3 & new batt)

Where I would like to locate the box, in the deepwell of the trunk the specs are 40w, 25h, 24d.

Slot or aeroport doesn't matter, PREFERABLY slot though because I'm starting this build from scratch so thats money towards something else like wiring.

The recs on their site were: 

• Recommended Ported Volume: 3.50 ~ 3.75 ft³
  • Recommended Port Area: 45.0 in²
  • Recommended Tuning Frequency: 31 Hz

I'd be fine with 32-33 Hz tuning though. 

Appreciate anything and everything and will process of said box being built as well if that interests you.

1 hour ago, BumpedCX5 said:

Only thing I see is that you haven't accounted for driver displacement or bracing which will chew up a little space and raise your tunning up a bit. If you wanted to lower your tune a touch you could go to a 4.5" port and still be in spec at 90".

For sure, didn't know how to add those values in I don't know the displacement on the subs. Umm, I'm gonna cut the wood thickness down to 3/4 instead of 1" anyways cause thats all thats avail near me and tweak some numbers

On Torres its right in that miscellaneous section with "woofer" and "bracing". Missed that your "common port walls" figure was empty too so that will give you a little more airspace (assuming you're running the port along the enclosure wall) as will moving to 3/4" material. I didn't see woofer displacement on the Skar website but found one site that gave it as 0.15cu/ft per woofer. You may want to confirm that number though. I don't imagine it's far off though my X15 is 0.2 and it's a fair bit bigger.

Hey, switched it up.

A different site I seen had it at .3 but I'm not sure. More cuft won't hurt me tbh I'll only be running a JP23 or at least that's the plan.

Started slapping shit together, got it test fitted and peeped what it was lookin like with the subs sitting in it.

Pretty happy with the results though, just needs some paint.

box3.png

Resized_20220318_211332.jpeg

Resized_20220320_132730.jpeg

Resized_20220320_184328.jpeg

Resized_20220320_185950.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2022 at 6:57 PM, bsdonovan91 said:

Hey, switched it up.

A different site I seen had it at .3 but I'm not sure. More cuft won't hurt me tbh I'll only be running a JP23 or at least that's the plan.

Started slapping shit together, got it test fitted and peeped what it was lookin like with the subs sitting in it.

Pretty happy with the results though, just needs some paint.

box3.png

Resized_20220318_211332.jpeg

Resized_20220320_132730.jpeg

Resized_20220320_184328.jpeg

Resized_20220320_185950.jpeg

How do you like the sound? Box looks good. For these cars, if you don't do 4th order ported through rear deck, you're at the mercy of the trunk, which as you know, sucks for sound. You have to do everything you can to allow sound to enter the cabin. I swapped out my backseat to one that has the armrest, and cut out the material behind the armrest, when it's in the up position. You can also remove the stock speakers if you haven't already, to allow more sound into the cabin. 

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

Archived