Sonic Electronix

How viable is an SPL build in an EV?

EVs still have a 12v side. Headlights, power outlets, windows, etc etc. 12v amplifiers will still work. I've heard that the Tesla DC-DC stepdowns are rated for somewhere in the 2-3kW range. So, for most users, not much of a difference there.

For SPL, however? I'd anticipate shifting to amplifiers that don't rely on a step-up process to shift from 12v to XYZ internal rail voltage.

Taramps comes to mind. Their larger units accept nearly 400vdc.

I think we have a number of years before this happens though. And if/when it does, I'd anticipate it would be bordering a 'professionals only' hookup on account of several hundred volts of DC power coming from a system that can supply a couple hundred kW of power under normal operation. Very, very dangerous.

A true spl only build, is more dependent on the vehicle. There is a reason, CRX's and such are used. Some vehicles, you can throw all the power at in the world, and not be competitive .... The res freq of certain vehicles play nice, it high spl/burp rigs. There is also a reason, that jeep xj's are used for low end monsters. The vehicle actually HELPS you, instead of fighting you.  (its not all about power, especially when you get up with the big boys, that have decades of experience) 

51 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

A true spl only build, is more dependent on the vehicle. There is a reason, CRX's and such are used. Some vehicles, you can throw all the power at in the world, and not be competitive .... The res freq of certain vehicles play nice, it high spl/burp rigs. There is also a reason, that jeep xj's are used for low end monsters. The vehicle actually HELPS you, instead of fighting you.  (its not all about power, especially when you get up with the big boys, that have decades of experience) 

Not trying to compete. Just wondering what things will look like down the road when I purchase an EV. I like crazy trunk builds.

There’s no way you get good SPL on an electric car and get 300 miles plus per charger, that’s the real answer, these cars are tested for years on stock electrical and daily driving so there’s no real answer but just charging your phone and driving your electric car kills the battery faster I’m sure running 3K or more will put you at 50-100 miles per charge. I work on Tesla’s and the biggest complaint is the battery life and these people are running stock , we tell them to put it nonsport mode and drive it slower , these cars are fast and they drive them like mustangs because there awesome to drive and if you add a system your battery is done . These electric cars are really nice but I’m not sold till 1 thousand miles per charge so I’ll stick to gas’s for now.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

This seems promising though.

I think @Kyblack76posted the first video of this the last time we talked about the electric car thing. This I think is a follow up video. No talking, and kind of long, but you'll get the point. Basically, an amplifier that's over 100% efficient.... well over! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived