Sundown Audio

Taramps swap issue

Pak713

Hey everyone. I have a few questions but I’ll start with a back story. 

I recently fried my taramps 1200w 2 ohm amp. It was a stupid mistake and kicked myself in the rear for it. I guess it’s part of getting older and forgetting things. Anyway I bought another taramps 1200w and installed it yesterday. I re stripped my power and ground wire to get them to go into the terminal on the amp a little further. I got it all installed and went to tune it. I tune these amps by using the clip light and a 40hz test tone. I posted awhile ago about tuning the old 1200w taramps and I keep having an issue of not getting the sound I was expecting because the clip was coming on sooner than it seemed it should. Anyway while tuning the new amp I couldn’t get the clip light to come on no matter what I did. So I set the amp and hu settings the same as the old amp, no clip light. So I hooked up the subs knowing this same tune worked on the old amp. Start the truck, turn the music on and holy smokes! Way louder than the old amp. 

So now I’m scratching my head. With the old taramps I fried I had to use low on the loudness setting to get good sound. Now on the new one, I can have all the settings on my hu off and it’s loud. 

One of three things is possible I’m thinking. One, the old taramps was faulty from the get go. I’ve heard there quality control isn’t great. 

Two, I could have been getting a bad connection from my power wire. Before I had about 3/4 of the wire stripped and put into the terminal in the amp. Now it’s a little over an inch shoved into the terminal. 

Three, the clip light on the new amp doesn’t work. The subs sound great to me and I don’t here any distortion at all. I turned the head unit to max while tuning without the subs hooked up and it still didn’t come on. On the old amp it would flash every so often depending on what I was listening too. 

Any thoughts you all have are appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Your thoughts on why its louder seem logical to me. Its possible the clip light isn't functioning. You can feel the subs and amp after playing for a while to see if they are getting warm. Clipping will cause heat and heat will cause things to blow or burn up. The only way to know for sure if the clip light is working or not is to use an oscope or dd1.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)
  • KnuKonceptz wire and RCAs
  • Slam Panda knob (RJ45 model)

Archived