Second Skin Audio

Advice on sub upgrade

Plasma

I’m not trying to do a vs topic just trying to figure out my next step.  I’ve had systems for years (I’m 45) but they’ve generally been the box store brands.  Last year I went to what I would say was a higher end brand 15 and loved it compared to anything I have had in the past.  It was a 1500 watt 15” running on 3500 rms.  I have recently sold said sub but now want to build something bigger/more spl.   Unfortunately I do not have box room for 2 15” subs or I would go that route, I’m just wondering if the next step would be 2 12’s or possibly a higher series sub on more power, say 5 or 8k.  Any advice/thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.   

Measure the amount of air space you're willing to give up, then you can start deciding how many subs, what size, and power handling. 

You could have bad ass, 5000 watt RMS subs, but in the wrong enclosure, you won't get what you're looking for

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

6 net would be about perfect for a pair of 12s. 5k would be fairly easy. 8k would be workable from a thermal standpoint, begins to be difficult to manage mechanical movement against that much cone area.

Some subs that would handle 8k between the pair:
(this is a non-inclusive list, there are more out there. Just brands I've had experience with)

- Crossfire XT3
- Crossfire XS v1/v2 (no longer in production). I actually miss these. Had a pair of 12s I'd run on an 8k and never was able to get them to stinky. The things were little monsters. Same with the XSv2 18s. 8kw for 20 minutes at a time was never an issue for a pair.
- Sundown NS / Z series. The old team 15 could take my 8k into clipping, free air.
- Fi Team
- DC level 5 - old v1 tool 5k in bursts. 3k all day.
While I've not used them, B2 is highly spoken of

I can't speak for others, but if you ask Sundown or Crossfire realllllyyyyy nicely, they'll give you custom wound 0.25/0.35/0.5 ohm coils. It's been my experience you get a bit better heat dissipation / motor force out of ultra low resistance coils.

I think stepping to 8s or 10s would be a difficult proposition here for this power level, as once you go smaller than 12s (or even 15s depending on design), you start to make sacrifices on spider size / voice coil diameter. More subs isn't always better

I bought a Sound Integrity SQL 12 and received it today. Just installed it a couple hours ago. I have never heard a sub in this small of an enclosure sound this good.

With 6ft3, you could fit 3 of their 15’s or 6 of their 12’s in.  It would be nasty!

On 3/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, SnowDrifter said:

6 net would be about perfect for a pair of 12s. 5k would be fairly easy. 8k would be workable from a thermal standpoint, begins to be difficult to manage mechanical movement against that much cone area.

(this is a non-inclusive list, there are more out there. Just brands I've had experience with)

- Crossfire XT3
- Crossfire XS v1/v2 (no longer in production). I actually miss these. Had a pair of 12s I'd run on an 8k and never was able to get them to stinky. The things were little monsters. Same with the XSv2 18s. 8kw for 20 minutes at a time was never an issue for a pair.
- Sundown NS / Z series. The old team 15 could take my 8k into clipping, free air.
- Fi Team

I can't speak for others, but if you ask Sundown or Crossfire realllllyyyyy nicely, they'll give you custom wound 0.25/0.35/0.5 ohm coils. It's been my experience you get a bit better heat dissipation / motor force out of ultra low resistance coils.

I think stepping to 8s or 10s would be a difficult proposition here for this power level, as once you go smaller than 12s (or even 15s depending on design), you start to make sacrifices on spider size / voice coil diameter. More subs isn't always better

I loved those OG xsv2s. Won 2 world rings with those, back to back,set a few world records,  and only reconed 3 out of the 6, in 3 FULL SEASONS of competing. And competing at wicked high levels. And one, was just because we had them out (adjusting the sealed side) and chucked a new coil in. The other 2, we did melt. But, those low and loud 30 second average runs are absolutely brutal on gear. From alts, to bats, to subs, to amps, to everything. Then, we'd do 599 bass race. Hella brutal on gear, and we where thrilled with how everything held up. (those xfire 4ks where the shit too)

Man, i loved those. Its hard to find any, even on the used, and need rebuilt places. Such a shame. 

And, you know me, i fucking HATE ALL 8's and 10's. I wish those two dumb fuck sizes, didn't even fucking exist in car audio. Fuck those things. 

Theres no way in fuck the shit suspension (let alone the lame coils) on either would be happy on half the power (real power) we are talking here. Coil go boing, former go boing, suspension peaces out (i could rant on the 10" short comings, for about, eh, a year) I wont even go into 8's, not worth my time. 

(stoked for the dude to blast me with the ole "i have 15k on my single 8" whatever, and it handles if all day every day")

Meh....

On 3/18/2022 at 12:30 PM, SnowDrifter said:

- Crossfire XT3
- Fi Team

lower the ohm on the coils, the larger the diameter of the wire. Every motor will have a sweet spot. For example if a motor has a gap size of say 3.5” and you want to run a coil that is 3.46” OD in 8 layers, at a certain point you won’t be able to fit the 8 layers. You can offset this in certain ways by doing 2+2+2+2 on the layers instead of say of doing 4+4 on the layers. The lower the ohm of the coil, the more power it can “potentially” handle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Potentially "handle" or, Potentially make ????? (More resistance) how would it be able to "handle" more power, being basically the same thermal capacity coil?????

Edit- so then, power capacity numbers, should then be increased or decreased depending on coil resistance , and, you never ever, EVER see that. So, if that is legit, learn me please. Open to any and all. And TIA for your time. 

Crossfire C7s 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Archived