Second Skin Audio

Painting an enclosure

Dafaseles

Let's say you're building a big, 6th order blow through. On the inside, you want a light blue roof, and all the rest white. 

Are you going all gloss? All matte? Gloss blue and matte white? Or gloss white and matte blue? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

satin / matte is also much easier on the eyes on a sunny day. I'd lay down some vinyl. And put some trim pieces along any corners / seams to make sure it doesn't lift up from the wubbadub action

2 hours ago, bsdonovan91 said:

matte finish shows every damn fingerprint and not ideal to clean.

gloss or satin

I didn't think about satin actually. That's a good idea

1 hour ago, BumpedCX5 said:

I agree on the fingerprints with satin it can be a pain. Gloss far easier to clean but it shows every imperfection so depending on how the inside of the enclosure looks that might be a consideration.

I wasn't taking into consideration cleaning because I don't ever see my fat ass squeezing in through the port to clean it lol. I'm worried about the imperfections part the most. The blue roof wouldn't be too hard to wet sand, but the white rest of the inside would take me a month to wet sand, there's so damn much lol

36 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

satin / matte is also much easier on the eyes on a sunny day. I'd lay down some vinyl. Put and put some trim pieces along any corners / seams to make sure it doesn't lift up from the wubbadub action

I'm not worried about the sun because it'll all be inside the enclosure. Won't ever see the sun. But that makes me think about the LED's though. The glare on the gloss paint might make it look like shit. I don't know if my vinyl game is strong enough though lol. 

Here's a picture of the rendering of the inside of the enclosure of it helps any or changes anyone opinion. Front to back, it's about 60". Inside the baffle to the edge is 31¾'s. Just imagine there's an enclosed top on it. He designed it to have a plexiglass top, but I'm not going to do that. 

Screenshot_20220322-181332.jpg

Screenshot_20220323-095824.jpg

I've seen a few lit enclosures that were gloss inside and it wasn't bad. If the LED's are shining directly on a close surface you'll see the dots of light though. If they're in a frosted acrylic tube they act more like a neon bulb with a softer glow. If your plan is to have the LED on the port side firing to the rear of the enclosure I think you'd be ok with gloss. Satin will reduce glare for sure though so, for your application, it might work better depending on where the light source is coming from.

1 hour ago, BumpedCX5 said:

I've seen a few lit enclosures that were gloss inside and it wasn't bad. If the LED's are shining directly on a close surface you'll see the dots of light though. If they're in a frosted acrylic tube they act more like a neon bulb with a softer glow. If your plan is to have the LED on the port side firing to the rear of the enclosure I think you'd be ok with gloss. Satin will reduce glare for sure though so, for your application, it might work better depending on where the light source is coming from.

I was planning on putting the LED's above the front port, facing in. The frosted tube is a good idea. I don't need it super bright. Just enough to see in there if I need to. Nothing fancy. I think I'm leaning hard towards at least the white being satin. 

Looking at the rustolium satin white852690591_Screenshot_20220323-150256_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a10adbb1717a1d33aa693cdca09ac273.jpg

I was looking for some Montana paint, but satin white is hard to find from Montana

6 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I was planning on putting the LED's above the front port, facing in. The frosted tube is a good idea. I don't need it super bright. Just enough to see in there if I need to. Nothing fancy. I think I'm leaning hard towards at least the white being satin. 

Looking at the rustolium satin white. I was looking for some Montana paint, but satin white is hard to find from Montana

White will definitely reflect the best and it should take a crazy amount of LED's to light it up. Looking forward to seeing the end result 👍

5 minutes ago, BumpedCX5 said:

White will definitely reflect the best and it should take a crazy amount of LED's to light it up. Looking forward to seeing the end result 👍

So am I 🤣 this build has been taking too damn long! 

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I used rustoleum years ago - it had a serious issue with drying. Anything I painted took weeks to fully cure such that it wouldn't indent from a finger nail. And it was *only* with rustoleum.

Archived