Second Skin Audio

Painting an enclosure

Dafaseles

9 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I used rustoleum years ago - it had a serious issue with drying. Anything I painted took weeks to fully cure such that it wouldn't indent from a finger nail. And it was *only* with rustoleum.

I don't think it's changed that much. I've had issues like that too. When I did my home theater subs I used a quart of Tremclad oil based paint with some Valspar hardener and a touch of acetone mixed in. I sprayed the enclosures but I'm guessing it could be rolled if mixed like that. The fumes are toxic so proper mask is strongly recommended. 

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

I don't know if this is still the case, but when I used rustoleum years ago - it had a serious issue with drying. Anything I painted took weeks to fully cure such that it wouldn't indent from a finger nail. And it was *only* with rustoleum.

I've been painting pieces of my door baffle with rustolium. I read this when I got home, went into the garage, and you're right. I last painted a light 3rd coat on Wednesday night, and while it's not necessarily "wet", it is still tacky and, I guess, soft. 

1 hour ago, BumpedCX5 said:

I don't think it's changed that much. I've had issues like that too. When I did my home theater subs I used a quart of Tremclad oil based paint with some Valspar hardener and a touch of acetone mixed in. I sprayed the enclosures but I'm guessing it could be rolled if mixed like that. The fumes are toxic so proper mask is strongly recommended. 

So, here's what I'm thinking...

1196830903_Screenshot_20220325-165042_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ad9d06c7f73ad9a8c6aa66419e67c530.jpg

Montana 94 matte white (damn that turned out to be a huge ass picture). The only satin I found was that rusto. I had a can of this in my garage left over from my graffiti days. I sprayed it on a piece of MDF, and it turned out not to be a dull, matte finish, but I one could describe it as a shinier matte finish, if that makes sense. I don't think I'd call it a matte to be honest. 

And this1045256386_Screenshot_20220325-165229_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.38f14164633dbecb101dd2ed04b04f71.jpg

Montana Gold Blue Magic semi- gloss for the top.

In my head, the contrast between the matte and the semi- gloss might be pleasing to the eye when adding the LED's? I've been wrong before 🤣

With the blue, I'm basically trying to match my speaker terminal, without trying to clash too much. It's hard when you don't have the actual paint to look at though and compare20220310_164315.thumb.jpg.820b737a701617db45075304c984ebe8.jpg

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I never used Montana for graffiti but I did use up quite a few cans of Sabotaz lol. Most art stores here have Montana displays and the caps pretty much match identically to the paint. Might be worth checking one out and comparing. as far as the matte and semi gloss I don't know how that will turn out but it could be an interesting contrast. 

39 minutes ago, BumpedCX5 said:

I never used Montana for graffiti but I did use up quite a few cans of Sabotaz lol. Most art stores here have Montana displays and the caps pretty much match identically to the paint. Might be worth checking one out and comparing. as far as the matte and semi gloss I don't know how that will turn out but it could be an interesting contrast. 

Sabotaz? I've never heard of them. I'll check them out. 

I used montana cans when doing big pieces because of the versatility they offer and all the colors. The 94 series is cool because the cans are low pressure. It takes a little getting used to, but it help keep from getting drips and helps getting nice, crisp fades. The black and white series is nice because they dry so damn quick! You can layer colors all day. They're also over pressurized, so painting on a windy day isn't so messy. But, the majority of the time....I just went out with whatever the hardware store had in stock lol. 

We'll see how it turns out. Unless someone comes in here and says "believe me, it'll look like shit" I think that's the plan moving forward. If I don't like it, I'll just do the whole inside white and get it over with. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Sabotaz? I've never heard of them. I'll check them out. 

I used montana cans when doing big pieces because of the versatility they offer and all the colors. The 94 series is cool because the cans are low pressure. It takes a little getting used to, but it help keep from getting drips and helps getting nice, crisp fades. The black and white series is nice because they dry so damn quick! You can layer colors all day. They're also over pressurized, so painting on a windy day isn't so messy. But, the majority of the time....I just went out with whatever the hardware store had in stock lol. 

We'll see how it turns out. Unless someone comes in here and says "believe me, it'll look like shit" I think that's the plan moving forward. If I don't like it, I'll just do the whole inside white and get it over with. 

The Sabo cans are low pressure and pretty thick too. Nice and crisp lines with no drips and great fades even with rusto tips.

Yep that sounds like a good plan. Do it and if you don't like it it's just a quick respray to fix it.

Archived