Second Skin Audio

Mclaren M8-12D2 Subwoofers

I bought a used set of Mclaren M8-12D2 12’s and they hit really hard lower frequencies but high bass notes it’s nothing. No matter how I adjust the amp or the head unit still nothing. It’s as if parts of the songs are missing. I was wandering if could my subs be for a ported enclosure only or maybe I need more airspace for my sealed enclosure is too small ? I’m at wits end with these subs and it’s frustrating constantly having to tweak them and move them in and out of my Honda because these subs in a box are not exactly light weight nor are they small.  
some help would be much appreciated 

Description McLaren Sound M8-12D2 12" Car Audio Subwoofer 
Hear the Difference, Feel the Difference 

•Description

(what’s the D2 D4 meaning… is this dual 2ohm dual 4ohm)

D2 
D4 
  •FS (Hz) 
  •Re (ohm) 
  •Sensitivity (dB) 
  •Vas (L) 
  •Qes 
  •Qms 
  •Qts 
  •MMs (grams) 
  •Cms (mm/N) 
  •Bl 
  •Sd (cm2) 
  •Cutout Diameter (in) 
  •Mounting Depth (in) 

4 hours ago, Liminlime2005 said:

I bought a used set of Mclaren M8-12D2 12’s and they hit really hard lower frequencies but high bass notes it’s nothing. No matter how I adjust the amp or the head unit still nothing. It’s as if parts of the songs are missing. I was wandering if could my subs be for a ported enclosure only or maybe I need more airspace for my sealed enclosure is too small ? I’m at wits end with these subs and it’s frustrating constantly having to tweak them and move them in and out of my Honda because these subs in a box are not exactly light weight nor are they small.  
some help would be much appreciated

Describe your setup, what, head unit, what amp, what speakers, exactly what vehicle. Describe your box,  maybe a pic or two.

My mistake. 
Jp8 amplifier rated at 850x1 ohm stable

my subs were  running to the amp at 0.5 ohms stable but because the subs aren’t hitting barely at all in higher frequencies so I thought maybe I’ll try one sub and and I’ve tried multiple different amps and different enclosures.  

my precious inclosure was rather smal at around 70-80 cubes and the one I am using now is around 130 cubes. 

For my gain and amp settings I’ve always played by ear but these subs has me stumped at Sahara the issues so I followed this little guide on how to set the amp https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hdVjIC7Cg6K/learn/car/subwoofers/tuning.html

Ok, there's a problem with you box spec, 130 cubes is a box about 63x63x63 inches.

And don't know which speakers are you using and how are installed.

If your front stage can't effectively play down to where your crossover is set you can experience a dip in higher bass, say in the 60-100Hz range.

1 hour ago, Joe X said:

Ok, there's a problem with you box spec, 130 cubes is a box about 63x63x63 inches.

And don't know which speakers are you using and how are installed.

If your front stage can't effectively play down to where your crossover is set you can experience a dip in higher bass, say in the 60-100Hz range.

Did you read the very first post?  2 mclaren 12 inch subwoofers. I’ve tried 4 different boxes ranging from 70-130 cubes. Also I’ve tried running the subs only with barely none other musical sound except just enough so I know where at in the song I am in when I was tuning the subs and still not high bass notes. I think box is issue as well but I tried deciphering my subs specs to figure it out but I’m clueless man. 

I feel like, and just being generic here, 2 12" 800 watt RMS subs in a sealed enclosure should net around 1 cubic foot each. Maybe a little more 

When you say 130 cubes, what do you mean? Inches? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

30 minutes ago, Liminlime2005 said:

Did you read the very first post?  2 mclaren 12 inch subwoofers. I’ve tried 4 different boxes ranging from 70-130 cubes. Also I’ve tried running the subs only with barely none other musical sound except just enough so I know where at in the song I am in when I was tuning the subs and still not high bass notes. I think box is issue as well but I tried deciphering my subs specs to figure it out but I’m clueless man. 

Bear in mind that you can fit three medium sized refrigerators  in 130 cubic feet, you may want to check that information.

Archived