Second Skin Audio

Mclaren M8-12D2 Subwoofers

3 hours ago, Joe X said:

Bear in mind that you can fit three medium sized refrigerators  in 130 cubic feet, you may want to check that information.

I wonder if he means cubic liters? Can't see where he's from but 130 liters would fit a hell of a lot easier than cubic feet 😂

45 minutes ago, BumpedCX5 said:

I wonder if he means cubic liters? Can't see where he's from but 130 liters would fit a hell of a lot easier than cubic feet 😂

I was thinking that too, but I couldn't find a converter online to see how many cubic feet 130 cubic inches, centimeters, and liters was...I found the math equation.... but....yeeeeaaaaaah.... give me an app to do it for me lol

I'm also wondering where his LPF is set, on the amp and (if he has one) on the head unit. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I was thinking that too, but I couldn't find a converter online to see how many cubic feet 130 cubic inches, centimeters, and liters was...I found the math equation.... but....yeeeeaaaaaah.... give me an app to do it for me lol

I'm also wondering where his LPF is set, on the amp and (if he has one) on the head unit. 

Just google 130l to cubic feet lol. 4.59091 😁

23 hours ago, BumpedCX5 said:

Not only fit well  but would be the exact right size for sealed in the case of the 70 liters one.

Typos man I apologize. There were suppose to be decimals in those figures. 1.3 cubic feet was a single sub box. 70 or 0.70 was for two subs. .70 was the airspace of only one side giving the entire box of about 1.4. As for lpf I don’t use my head units I only use the one on the amp and I’ll tune it to just where i can no longer hear any frequencies that typically wouldn’t want to come from the subs. I try to find the sweet spot but regardless of where I put the lpf but still no higher bass frequencies. So songs I listen to completely missing now and I think maybe it’s these subs probably needs pairing with some decent components that will help pick up where my sub roll flat on their faces. I also posted the subs specs hoping someone may come up with some numbers for an enclosure and if the enclosure i am using is the reason I am suffering. The gentleman I had gotten the subs from has them in a ported box and he eve said that they didn’t perform well in the higher bass frequencies range. So this is a first for me because over the years I’ve had man decent systems from pioneer premiere in 2009 to the silver p2’s to a set of p3’s  and was always able to tune everything by ear to my liking. These subs I am unable to do so. Never heard a set of subs roll off so suddenly flat on their faces until entires songs can have no bass on them except for what bass comes from my doors and sash speakers.  

again sorry for the typos. 

So, usually, people will tune their LPF to around 80 hz. So that's when whatever slope the amp has starts to occur. 

If you're specifically having trouble with the higher frequencies (I don't know how you went about tuning your amp, maybe you did it this way) play an 80 hz tone, and adjust the LPF and see if you can get something more out of the subs. If not, then you might be right, the subs just don't preform high frequencies very well. 

But I feel like the 2 octaves that subwoofers are asked to play shouldn't be a problem for any. Usually if a subwoofer struggles, it's with the low notes. 

Thanks for replying. I’ve tried every way possible until turning down all frequencies except for the subs and played songs I was having trouble hearing the higher end bass notes and adjusting the lpf from one 0- 180 or however high went, both amp and head unit separately and also simultaneously and still can barely get anything out of them. But I did notice the larger box I was able to pickup lower frequencies a little bit better and also the higher frequencies but the higher frequencies barely noticeable. Really sucks to say the least. 

2 hours ago, Liminlime2005 said:

Typos man I apologize. There were suppose to be decimals in those figures. 1.3 cubic feet was a single sub box. 70 or 0.70 was for two subs. .70 was the airspace of only one side giving the entire box of about 1.4. As for lpf I don’t use my head units I only use the one on the amp and I’ll tune it to just where i can no longer hear any frequencies that typically wouldn’t want to come from the subs. I try to find the sweet spot but regardless of where I put the lpf but still no higher bass frequencies. So songs I listen to completely missing now and I think maybe it’s these subs probably needs pairing with some decent components that will help pick up where my sub roll flat on their faces. I also posted the subs specs hoping someone may come up with some numbers for an enclosure and if the enclosure i am using is the reason I am suffering. The gentleman I had gotten the subs from has them in a ported box and he eve said that they didn’t perform well in the higher bass frequencies range. So this is a first for me because over the years I’ve had man decent systems from pioneer premiere in 2009 to the silver p2’s to a set of p3’s  and was always able to tune everything by ear to my liking. These subs I am unable to do so. Never heard a set of subs roll off so suddenly flat on their faces until entires songs can have no bass on them except for what bass comes from my doors and sash speakers.  

again sorry for the typos. 

No problem, I did run those parameters you listed and the subs in fact work very well in SEALED and the ideal box volume per driver would be about 1.2 cubic feet so 2.4 cubic feet net internal for a box for two of them. To give you an idea a box 14" height x 27" wide x 16" deep would be about 2.4 cubic feet net internal.

So if you have tried a box similar to that and its not working right, you could be dealing with modified/defective or otherwise flawed drivers.

To test that you should try in your current setup without changing anything some different drivers that you have or that you find, and see if it is the same problem or not and you could try your drivers in a friend's setup if possible and see what happens, that would give you some indication on what to do next.

40 minutes ago, Liminlime2005 said:

Thanks for replying. I’ve tried every way possible until turning down all frequencies except for the subs and played songs I was having trouble hearing the higher end bass notes and adjusting the lpf from one 0- 180 or however high went, both amp and head unit separately and also simultaneously and still can barely get anything out of them. But I did notice the larger box I was able to pickup lower frequencies a little bit better and also the higher frequencies but the higher frequencies barely noticeable. Really sucks to say the least. 

I would do what @Joe Xis suggesting, but I would also skip the songs and just straight play a test tone in the higher frequency level. Isolate the problem betting the higher frequencies. Still sucks? Try disconnecting one driver from the amplifier and see what happens with one driver. Then try disconnecting the other. See what happens. It's just experimentation at this point. 

It sounds like you're not a complete newbie to the car audio stuff, so I believe you when you say it's probably the drivers. Maybe it's just one driver canceling it the other at high frequencies. Improbable, but still possible. 

Archived