Sonic Electronix

Swapping from spl to air movers, which ones to get?

I have a '91 isuzu pickup spacecab with 4 Treo 15's in it, each wired to 1ohm to a Skar RP-2000.1D each (total of four amps). They're sitting in a custom ported box right behind the seats, roof to ceiling. I'm looking to switch into some subs with stupid xmax instead. I was thinking SKAR EVL 15's or ZVX 15's (in a custom 4 sub box, or two dual boxes right behind the seats, wired to the same amps). Any input on what subs to get? Looking to hairtrick and neither my father nor I have purchased subs in over a decade, so I don't know what to get for big air movement. I don't have a fixed budget right now - but I know top end will hopefully be less than $2,800 for four subs and a box. OR, two 18's and a box (I've never had any 18's, so I don't know if two 18" air movers will be better than four 15" air movers). Thank you for all input! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Joe X said:

Check out the Crossfire XT3 line.

Never heard of them, I'll definitely check them. Thanks for the input.

13 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Are you planning on upgrading the amps as well? Or just the subs? 

If just the subs, check out the FI 3.5 subs. 1750 RMS and 34mm of X-Max

Just the subs - I'll look into Fi. I've seen them on EXO's channel but never heard them in person. Thanks for the tip!!

1 hour ago, SlammedRides said:

Never heard of them, I'll definitely check them. Thanks for the input.

Just the subs - I'll look into Fi. I've seen them on EXO's channel but never heard them in person. Thanks for the tip!!

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Crossfire or Fi, so I don't think you can go wrong with either one. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Crossfire or Fi, so I don't think you can go wrong with either one. 

Spent a lot of time looking at the FI subs today. I read on their site to get the daily not the competition if you're not burping only, but I couldn't find any specifics on which are dailies. I'm trying to find the ones that'll produce the most wind, but since I've never had high SA high xmax subs, I'm having a hard time figuring out the best option. I like those FI 3.7's with the gloss 7" cap. Any idea if the NEO's are better than the Ferrite for what I want (deep bass for air movement)? 

57 minutes ago, SlammedRides said:

Spent a lot of time looking at the FI subs today. I read on their site to get the daily not the competition if you're not burping only, but I couldn't find any specifics on which are dailies. I'm trying to find the ones that'll produce the most wind, but since I've never had high SA high xmax subs, I'm having a hard time figuring out the best option. I like those FI 3.7's with the gloss 7" cap. Any idea if the NEO's are better than the Ferrite for what I want (deep bass for air movement)? 

I can't find on their site where it takes about daily and competition subs. If you know where you saw it, if you can tell me where, if like to read it. 

The difference between neo and ferrite is, to my understanding, just application. Neodymium magnets are stronger, so you can get away with less magnet than with Ferrite. Basically, you can get more motor force while using less mass. I'm sure there are probably a ton of other pros and cons between the two as well. I'm sure one of the O.G's knows more about all that than I do. 

The bigger dust cap will help with voice coil cooling as well. You'll be underpowering the 3.7's quite a bit with those RP2000.1's, but that will leave you plenty of room to upgrade in the future if you choose to do so. 

8 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I can't find on their site where it takes about daily and competition subs. If you know where you saw it, if you can tell me where, if like to read it. 

The difference between neo and ferrite is, to my understanding, just application. Neodymium magnets are stronger, so you can get away with less magnet than with Ferrite. Basically, you can get more motor force while using less mass. I'm sure there are probably a ton of other pros and cons between the two as well. I'm sure one of the O.G's knows more about all that than I do. 

The bigger dust cap will help with voice coil cooling as well. You'll be underpowering the 3.7's quite a bit with those RP2000.1's, but that will leave you plenty of room to upgrade in the future if you choose to do so. 

Thanks for the input. Idk how I found their "subwoofer options" page, but I linked it below. On another post I made, someone pointed out switching from four 15's to two 18's will lose me about 40% cone area, so I'm going to figure out a new plan, since the point of this build is just to do some silly hairtricks. 

https://ficaraudio.com/options/

33 minutes ago, SlammedRides said:

Thanks for the input. Idk how I found their "subwoofer options" page, but I linked it below. On another post I made, someone pointed out switching from four 15's to two 18's will lose me about 40% cone area, so I'm going to figure out a new plan, since the point of this build is just to do some silly hairtricks. 

I've read that before. I think that was just an old page they had that they didn't delete or something. That page was easy to find when I ordered my subs years ago. They refer to subwoofers and options that aren't available anymore. Before you order, if you have any concerns, email them. They've always gotten back to me quickly. 

Have you thought about maybe 3 18's? It's a little more cone area than 4 15's. Not really much though

51 minutes ago, SlammedRides said:

What specific Treo's do you have and what size/tune enclosure are they in? At least then we can compare apples to apples spec wise to other subs. 2 18's may have less cone area than 4 15's but if they have double the xmax of your 15's you may still be ahead. Enclosure wise I'm wondering if it could be optimized more for what you're after. 4 treo 15's (even older ones) should be able to move some air and maybe you're just in need of an enclosure change. 

Archived