Sonic Electronix

Swapping from spl to air movers, which ones to get?

10 hours ago, BumpedCX5 said:

I'm in the same boat car audio has all but died in my area lol. You'll get output below tuning but the excursion starts to go way up. My enclosure is tuned to around 29Hz but I'll get lots of output below that. A subsonic filter will be set at 15Hz which will let my excursion max out at about 17Hz. Years ago when I had a car at shows I had music on hand to showcase the systems strengths so I would assume that people would still be going that route. I try to tune to the music most listened to and for me I have stuff with a fair amount of bass in the mid 20's and 30's. The lower tune usually gives you a flatter curve that lends itself better to music rather than a one note wonder SPL tune like what you have now which typically has a massive peak to get the highest score. Great for numbers not so much for everyday listening.

Okay, thanks. I have a couple different playlists of lows (I mean, 35 is consider a low, right? 😂) that I know they can handle with some power and ones for just showing off this box's strengths. I'm going to post some pictures of the truck and try to get some opinions on what route to go to re-tune it, and I'll make sure you see it to see if you've got any tips. Thanks for all the help so far.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Joe X said:

Bear in mind that many of those demo vehicles are using bandpass enclosures which can load the drivers not at a small range of frequencies like ported does but to a custom range that you can set (usually a full octave) in the case of 6th order bandpass enclosures, so they can be mighty loud with almost anything they play.

Okay, thanks. I had no clue what type of boxes demo vehicles might be using. I am still trying to figure out what type of box is good for what type of bass. Whenever I Google stuff, I get hit with generic articles that all regurgitate "Here are the different type of subwoofer enclosures - ported and sealed." And that's about it. I'm not looking to make Michelangelo's "The David" for my first enclosure, but I wouldn't mind a challenge that will look good and sound even better. 

Enclosure type is mostly dictated by how much space you have and what the subwoofer's specs say it'll work well in. In your case you'll likely be looking at ported, 4th and 6th order bandpass. Ported is straightforward to build and of those 3 will have the smallest enclosure requirements. 4th order a little more complicated and will take up more space. 6th orders take up the most space and are even more complicated to design. There's lot's of knowledgeable people on here that can lend a hand with the design phase when you figure out which way you want to go with subs. Ported was the most common years ago when your system was built but now it seems that the 6th order is the way to go when it comes to crazy bass over a wider range and space isn't a problem.

3 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Haven't heard of Crossfire or Fi....

Ill go cry in a corner now :(

You need to get with the times cupcake 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Archived