Sundown Audio

can i run 8 or 6 ohm speakers?

slybu

from an old alpine mrv-1507 thats specced for 4ohm per channel, can it run 6 or 8 ohm speaker on each channel or will it bust the amp? i know running lower like 1ohm is not good at all for the amp but dont know what rule to apply when going higher than the specced impedance. 

21 minutes ago, slybu said:

from an old alpine mrv-1507 thats specced for 4ohm per channel, can it run 6 or 8 ohm speaker on each channel or will it bust the amp? i know running lower like 1ohm is not good at all for the amp but dont know what rule to apply when going higher than the specced impedance. 

You'll be fine, though the power from the amp will be quite a bit lower at the lower impedances 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Check and see, I dint know much about that amp, but at those higher impedances, you might be getting more power hooking then straight up to the receiver. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

ahh ok, i dont have a receiver as such. just an arcade machine that has a PC in it. sound was weak but i have bigger speakers and this amp lying around and a power supply to run it all so thought id check before trying high ohm speakers incase they bust the amp.

speakers are only 50wrms so amp will be turned low since i wont need much power from it but saves having to spend money buying another amp etc if i can use what i have lying around.

• 4 months later...

Archived