switched to a new pioneer FH-S52BT & shit went south

2018 tacoma -b4 today - had factory head unit - audiocontrol lc2i - jl 450/4 amp - shit sounded badass - lc2i goes out so i decide to do away with the factory shit _ got the pioineer FH-S52BT head unit & it doesnt sound half as good  & isnt as loud and the jl amp gets hot & goes into protect mode after a few minutes-which it never had before- even cranked for hours at a time - royally pisses me off - this was 'supposed" to b way better than factory- but it damn sure aint - anybody got a clue on this deal?

Did you retune the amp or leave all settings the same? Rca voltage might be different and your now clipping causing amp to heat up. Did you figure out deck clean signal Max volume?

I can't find a JL 450.4 on the website. No big deal. 

You where getting such a huge bump because that's how the Audio Control LOC's are designed. They have their own gain. What's really cool and helpful is, you turn your head unit up to where you set the gains for the LOC and the amp, then you use the volume knob that came with the LOC, instead of the master volume in the head unit, and it keeps that great voltage kick working so your amps don't have to. 

The way I see it, you have 3 choices...

Get a new head unit with 4 or 5 volt pre-outs.

Purchase a line driver to up the voltage in your RCA's 

Or, purchase an Audio Control Three.2 in dash processor. It'll do the same voltage bump as the LOC's do, along with a lightweight EQ of sorts. I love mine. It's awesome

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

100% in agreement with Dafaseles. The issue is the lower line voltage from the Pioneer deck. I am on my second system with the Audiocontrol Three.2. Very few units can approach the line voltage it produces plus it has a superior crossover than most other loc’s or head units.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, BumpedCX5 said:

Have you checked to see if you have a full bandwidth signal going to the factory amplifier yet? You may not need anything more than a line driver. Why add more processing to the signal if you don't have to? You might be lucky and have a clean signal coming straight from the factory deck. If that's the case it's as straightforward as splicing a line driver (if it's a weak signal you may not even need one) and sending a clean signal to your amp.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:52 PM, Dafaseles said:

I can't find a JL 450.4 on the website. No big deal. 

You where getting such a huge bump because that's how the Audio Control LOC's are designed. They have their own gain. What's really cool and helpful is, you turn your head unit up to where you set the gains for the LOC and the amp, then you use the volume knob that came with the LOC, instead of the master volume in the head unit, and it keeps that great voltage kick working so your amps don't have to. 

The way I see it, you have 3 choices...

Get a new head unit with 4 or 5 volt pre-outs.

Purchase a line driver to up the voltage in your RCA's 

Or, purchase an Audio Control Three.2 in dash processor. It'll do the same voltage bump as the LOC's do, along with a lightweight EQ of sorts. I love mine. It's awesome

Archived