Sonic Electronix

Need some feed back on my boat project. I’m install a removable 15” sub under the seats. I want to be able to drop it in on sand bar days and remove it on fishing days. Right now the boat has 4-8” coaxials and a 10” solobaric laded enclosure in the console. All sounds goods but I want more on sandbar days. I oversized the monoblock that is on the solobaric so interchanging the subs will only require a couple quick connects on the speaker wires and maybe a gain adjustment. 

Here’s what I’m thinking.

I don’t have any experience with down firing subs but what I want to do is build a ported enclosure that fires down and the port will breathe forward.

The enclosure will be glassed over and gelcoat to match the boat.

A few questions I have are

1: Is there any problem with using a Skar EVl-15 sub in the down position? I’m not trying to spend a bunch of money on higher end equipment . And I don’t want any free air subs.

2: Is the port ok located on the end or would I get better performance moving it to the bottom also?

3: Will some of you with experience in outdoor applications such as this give me some feedback on this design and if I need to change anything on it?

2723E627-D8FD-4C95-815D-395B47E5800B.jpeg

EB47C90F-16DA-45E5-BDEE-596AE315FA85.jpeg

Give us the dimensions you have to work with and we can better guide you to some options. If the sub was going to be removed when not it use and not sitting in a moisture rich environment I'd say don't worry too much about it being marine grade or not but longevity could certainly be affected. I've known a few people over the years who have used non marine grade subs with great results but precautions were taken to ensure they didn't get moisture damage. 

On 3/31/2022 at 7:50 AM, Joe X said:

The EVL 15 sub will need some 3.5 cubic feet net to work, under those seats all you could fit is a 10" maybe a 12" ported. Also there are marine grade subs for that kind of application.

Under that seat is 18” x 26” of clearance and 10’ behind it if Need be. I have plenty of room for a single15 or 3 of them for that matter. 

I wasn’t asking about marine grade subs as I am not interested in them at this point. I have used car audio subs in boats for many many years and never had any problems. I was asking about using the standard sub in an inverted position. I was wondering if it would perform the same.

An enclosure 12H x 26W x 28 (18+10) D with a port 10.5H x 4.5W x 30L results in a box 3 cubic feet tuned to 33Hz with barely enough port area,  the box is still undersized for a single EVL 15".  But a single 12" Would do fine.

As far as the sub facing down, there is no problem, many bandpass walls have them all installed that way (facing down) no problem. A stiff suspension would not hurt but you can always call a manufacturer to ask. And glad that you know them those marine grade subs.

2 hours ago, Joe X said:

An enclosure 12H x 26W x 28 (18+10) D with a port 10.5H x 4.5W x 30L results in a box 3 cubic feet tuned to 33Hz with barely enough port area,  the box is still undersized for a single EVL 15".  But a single 12" Would do fine.

As far as the sub facing down, there is no problem, many bandpass walls have them all installed that way (facing down) no problem. A stiff suspension would not hurt but you can always call a manufacturer to ask. And glad that you know them those marine grade subs.

Them those WTF ever . 

Help me with the length on a box 12” tall, 24” wide, tuned to 38hz please. It will give me something to compare my numbers too. Not being a dick here, but I think your assuming that the finished length will be an issue for my boat.  I have plenty of room. I’ll post another picture below.  Driver displacement is .316ft.  

Thanks for any help

6528072B-AAB2-4FDE-A1F3-D71C3A1D1884.jpeg

Archived