Does bridging an amp present a mono signal if a DSP or Active Crossover is used between the source?

Was doing some thinking about this and was curious if you were using an active crossover (Sony XEC1000, Clarion, or any number of other similar models) or a DSP between the source and amplifier....

Would bridging the amp still present a mono signal to the driver's? 

You are breaking the signal up at processor anyway....so the amp will only be playing what it's recieving right? Or am I missing something?

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

3 hours ago, BumpedCX5 said:

The amplifier will sum the inputs when you bridge it so your speaker will see a mono signal.

Correct....but if I only feed  left inputs on the front and  right inputs on the rear from the processor it will be stereo no?

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

29 minutes ago, shane35fowler said:

Correct....but if I only feed  left inputs on the front and  right inputs on the rear from the processor it will be stereo no?

So you want your front stage playing the left channel and the sub playing the right channel? I don't think that you can call that stereo because with stereo signals share bandwidth, it's not mono either but it will sound really bad in any case.

1 hour ago, shane35fowler said:

I guess technically it would be stereo but your stage would be panning front to back and not side to side. 

Whatever signal you send to an amp's L & R inputs it will sum them when you bridge it. Whether or not you send a stereo signal or two monaural signals won't matter. It'll sum what you send it. Like Joe X said though it probably won't sound good. 

8 hours ago, shane35fowler said:

I get what your asking I think, but leave your RCA channels that are going in to the DSP and out of the DSP the same like normal, and do the swapping of the rcas at the amp itself this way it wont mess with no processing.

So what I think he is asking is say you have a 4 channel amp, typical channel 1 and 2 would be front left and front right and channel 3 and 4 would be rear left and rear right.

What he wants to know is instead of using the front left and right rca for channel 1 and 2 and the rear right and left rca for channel 3 and 4 is if he splits the rca's up and uses the front left rca on channel 1 and uses the rear left rca on channel 2 and then he bridges channel 1 and 2 for the left speakers. Then repeat that process and use front right rca on channel 3 and and rear right rca on channel 4 and again bridge channels 3 and 4 for the left speakers.

So typically bridging a 4 channel amp down to 2 channels which would normally be a mono signal but since channels 1 and 2 input would be fed with left inputs and the same for 3 and 4 with right inputs. So bridging it this way with the rca inputs being swapped you will still have left and right separation when the amp is bridged to 2 channels instead of 4.

13 hours ago, Joe X said:

So you want your front stage playing the left channel and the sub playing the right channel? I don't think that you can call that stereo because with stereo signals share bandwidth, it's not mono either but it will sound really bad in any case.

No no don't get caught up on a single amplifier....

I have multiple Class AB 4 chan's I can use. Probably will use....

Specifically was wondering about the effect of sending the L&L  to Bridged front and R&R to Bridged rear from the Processor. Audiofanaticz nailed what I was working at....but admittedly struggling. 

I have a DSP but I also have an Old Sony XEC1000 Active Crossover. 

It has processing for up to four separate stereo outs and one stereo or mono sub.  

My specific problem lies with all the amps I do have and the Previous owners install techniques... While they have a great sonic signature they aren't particularly powerful excluding my sub amp(Class D 175amp of fuseing on 3x 12" L7s in 3.44CuFt Sealed) . I think the Boston acoustic GT40 is the most powerful at 55w RMS at 4ohm. The rest are 50w RMS. My specific issue is with how my previous owner sound deadening the truck and mounted the Components. 

So while the 3 layers of rattletrap through the entire cab  is great (will literally pop your ears just by turning the AC/Hear on without recirc if you have the windows up) the expanding foam in the kick panels makes it very difficult to run new wire to my doors to run everything fully active. I also do not have the replacement wave guides for the Kicker QS 6.5 Components to take the tweets and mount them separately. 

So instead of using the DSP with the Passives and as my HU has t/a and a halfway decent parametric, I'm thinking about just using the Sony XEC-1000 and bridging the Boston GT40 to the fronts and bridging the Memphis PR50.4 to the rear and using  one of my JBL 504ez on the widebands in the dash. 

I've been uncluck'n the PO install for a while now.... Replacing all the  CCA with 1/0 Welding Cable and adding a run from the second battery + Big 5(It's a diesel) or the rotten CCA speaker wire he used with KnuKoncepts Twisted biwire(HUGE) or tinned OFC from T-Spec for the single runs. 

If you have a DSP use that and ditch the Sony XEC1000!
No idea what DSP you have but even a fairly old DSP is going to be more feature packed than any active crossover which will just give you a few options per channel while the DSP will give you the ability to have an independent 11-31 band EQ per channel, time alignment, broader crossover frequencies and slopes, a boost in rca level voltage, occasionally multiple listening positions, and so much more.
There is really no need for the Sony or any other active crossover and or stand alone EQ for that matter when you have a DSP. 

22 hours ago, shane35fowler said:

Specifically was wondering about the effect of sending the L&L  to Bridged front and R&R to Bridged rear from the Processor.

So the effect of using front and rear left and front and rear right as your outputs is that you likely lose the ability to fader, My suggestion is using front left/right outputs of your processor/head unit to feed the amp, looking at your amp, it's front channels can't be set to mono input so a Y adapter can be used to connect the front left output of your processor/head unit, the rear channels of the amp can be set to mono input and you only to need to connect the front right output of your processor/head unit to either of these inputs.  Really some time was lost for you by not asking the question as you did here above.

Archived