Second Skin Audio

Need help with first build.

JDiesel79

I recently started my first car audio build. I have a Skar Rp1500.1d, Skar EVL15D2, a good HU that has clean volume till 1 before max, an epicenter, components up front, 6x9s in rear deck, and a 1000w pioneer 4ch, all on 1/0g to an XS bank, then 4g to the amps. My problem is this...I am on a budget. A VERY TIGHT budget. I have 2 full sheets of 5/8" ply. I need an enclosure that will fit the trunk of a 1995 Honda Accord 4dr, while leaving room for batteries and amp rack. I listen to mainly rock and some rap. The maximum dimensions of the trunk space I can use are: 33"x25"x16.5". Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I suck at designing and math so...yeah...roast away.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:33 AM, JDiesel79 said:

I recently started my first car audio build. I have a Skar Rp1500.1d, Skar EVL15D2, a good HU that has clean volume till 1 before max, an epicenter, components up front, 6x9s in rear deck, and a 1000w pioneer 4ch, all on 1/0g to an XS bank, then 4g to the amps. My problem is this...I am on a budget. A VERY TIGHT budget. I have 2 full sheets of 5/8" ply. I need an enclosure that will fit the trunk of a 1995 Honda Accord 4dr, while leaving room for batteries and amp rack. I listen to mainly rock and some rap. The maximum dimensions of the trunk space I can use are: 33"x25"x16.5". Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I suck at designing and math so...yeah...roast away.

Ok, I have no idea what your exact budget constraints are, or bass goals (like hairticks, intentionaly blowing out glass, or just being a straight menace to society) but my advise would be to go to https://www.caraudiofabrication.com/box-designs , take a look at the pricing and weigh your options. I built my own subwoofer box with help from the youtube videos that he posts and decided not to contact him about a box design and there are a few minor kinks in my build that were overlooked (a single supporing stucture) so now the entire wall of my port flexes and ruins some of the sound. And yea why plywood? Good thickness, not entirely the best box material 👌 

1 hour ago, Alex M said:

And yea why plywood? Good thickness, not entirely the best box material 👌 

Nothing wrong with building an enclosure from plywood if you design properly. If it's Baltic birch ply it's one of the best materials to build with IMO. Builder grade ply from home depot (which I'll assume is what's been bought) not nearly as good but can work if you understand it's limitations and design properly. With 5/8" I'd say laminate the sheets together giving you a strong flex free enclosure. If it's Baltic I'd say given the lower power you could get away with using the 5/8" but bracing it all up very well and a double baffle for the sub. 

24 minutes ago, BumpedCX5 said:

Nothing wrong with building an enclosure from plywood if you design properly. If it's Baltic birch ply it's one of the best materials to build with IMO. Builder grade ply from home depot (which I'll assume is what's been bought) not nearly as good but can work if you understand it's limitations and design properly. With 5/8" I'd say laminate the sheets together giving you a strong flex free enclosure. If it's Baltic I'd say given the lower power you could get away with using the 5/8" but bracing it all up very well and a double baffle for the sub. 

I can completely agree

So to answer, the reason I said 5/8" wood is because that is all I have. Just shooting straight, i just did 20 years in prison. I just came home and the budget I have is almost non existant. I have the entire system. I just need a box that fits my car. I just enjoy music. Hair tricks and SPL is all cool and stuff, but as long as the passenger looks at me like their heart is gonna explode when I turn on my deck, I'm good.

Ok, well with that being your goals, there's a bit of "wiggle room " with the box, I would go with BumpedCX5's suggestion where he says "With 5/8" I'd say laminate the sheets together giving you a strong flex free enclosure" I would use that as the surface that holds the subwoofer or subwoofers. If you're going to have multiple subwoofers on the single "plane" I would add "window bracing" in-between each subwoofer extending from the bottom to the walls and then top, if you're doing a ported box, Obviously the bracing won't go into the port area instead it will go against the walls of the port. If you would like I can draw up a few ideas if you'd like?

On 4/10/2022 at 10:04 AM, Alex M said:

Ok, well with that being your goals, there's a bit of "wiggle room " with the box, I would go with BumpedCX5's suggestion where he says "With 5/8" I'd say laminate the sheets together giving you a strong flex free enclosure" I would use that as the surface that holds the subwoofer or subwoofers. If you're going to have multiple subwoofers on the single "plane" I would add "window bracing" in-between each subwoofer extending from the bottom to the walls and then top, if you're doing a ported box, Obviously the bracing won't go into the port area instead it will go against the walls of the port. If you would like I can draw up a few ideas if you'd like?

Thanks man. I would really appreciate it.

Archived