Second Skin Audio

3 JL Audio W7s in a Big Body Benz Coupe - Box type/design help

SwissBliss

Vehicle : 1989 Mercedes Benz 560SEC  (Coupe)

Location in the vehicle: Trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): ENTIRE big ass trunk

Subwoofer make and model:  3 JL Audio W7s - 10 inch

What type of music do you like?: Hip Hop / Electronic/ Rock

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday Music

Tuning Freq (Hz): 32HZ

Volume : ~ 4.5 CF
Questions:

Hello, I am hoping to get some great advice. I am having a shop design a high quality box for my 560 SEC. I have 3 JL Audio 10" W7s (going with 3 for many factors but big one is it will be a 1 ohm setup).

However, the issue that that the fuel tank is in the trunk, in a space in between rear seats and trunk. So for porting I am unsure of the type of box. There is a space on the rear deck directly below the rear window that has plenty of room to have custom grills installed and fire the bass in that way, but the box design is tricky, especially it being 3 subs.

I was thinking that it would be good to do a ported box, and the port going into the cab, but one shop said that wouldn't sound right having the port going into cab and subs firing in trunk. Would a bandpass box be better for this? Or perhaps just have the subwoofer faces pointed up at the grill into the cab, with a port into the trunk?

I really appreciate any advice. Here is a link to the grille space:

rear-glass-jpg.306595  

Simplest way would be to open the rear deck up with grills as you were thinking and just let the bass pass through that way. Less dicking around with routing ports and such. Lots of trunk cars pull deck speakers out to let the bass pass through and it works well. 

I'd pull the whole backseat, fire the subs forward, and seal the front baffle from the rear trunk. But that requires a commitment not all are willing to do

EDIT- Just re-read the post. The fuel tank is there. Disregard my dumb ass

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

WOW! Thanks for all the quick replies!!! 

Yes, looks like the rear deck is definitely getting pulled and replaced with a custom grille setup.

Actually, I think I figured out EXACTLY what I am looking for, check this video (can skip to end but its only a few minutes): 

That is a severely compromised 4th order BP design made to look good and to preserve trunk space, here's is how a correctly designed 4th order bandpass box ported through the rear deck looks like:

PORTEDrd.png

I am pretty sure that for your 3 W7 10's a correctly designed 4th BP would take the whole trunk or won't even fit at all.

4 hours ago, Joe X said:

That is a severely compromised 4th order BP design to made to look good and to preserve trunk space, here's is how a correctly designed 4th order bandpass box ported through the rear deck looks like:

PORTEDrd.png

I am pretty sure that for your 3 W7 10's a correctly designed 4th BP would take the whole trunk or won't even fit at all.

F*CK!!!!

Could you explain more or possibly provide more info for my installer? 

Or any suggestions on an alternative ?

Thanks so much, this is kind of my concern. I do have a HUGE trunk, but once I found that video I still was on the fence as to if that was too good to be true....

At first glance, a ported box box looks very doable, you just open up the rear deck with those grilles as we said before, if you can provide trunk dimensions HxWxD I could tell you if there is enough space for a 4th order bandpass.

The most important thing though is that you know your installer is actually good and if they can let you listen and take a look at one of their builds.

Installer is VERY capable, his shop was filled with extremely intricate builds, however he had me when he showed me the MB 500E Hammer hiding in the back.

I will try to post trunk spec tomorrow...

Here is his response after I sent him this thread:

Lol, I told you it's a big ass box. It's a compromise between functionality and esthetics. It will bang, it will fit and look thought out, not just thrown in. A ported box and vents in the rear deck lid isn't a bad idea, helps keep the box smaller, problem is rattles but tons of sound deadening helps there. 

3 in a sealed box will bang too, some would argue it's best for SQ and with a smaller box, you can disguise it but ported is more efficient and louder. 4th order is picky, can be bandwidth limited but we use term-pro to design and plot. I can run it tomorrow and give you an idea. 

Archived