Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer best box tuning frequency for feeling the bass on the body

danielmax

Hi, I have just finished an enclosure for a 15" subwoofer and tested it. Here a picture. It sounds good but I expected a more impactful bass on my body, something that hit hard. The expected tuning was around 32Hz, but the measured actually is 27-28Hz. My target isn't SQ at all, so, on the basis of your experience, increasing the tuning will do something? I was thinking something around 39Hz. Or 35, 37 will be good anyway?

And what about the frequencies that can be heard louder outside the car? I want also an impactful bass over the listeners outside 😎.

I remember a car meeting here in Italy, a Toyota Supra... The bass could be felt outside the car heavily on my body. But, when I look inside the car... Nothing. I was expecting to see huge boxs and subs. But I couldn't see any speaker and the trunk was filled with other things. So, I guess space isn't the only that matters. It must be the frequencies that plays and of course the power.

Thank you very much, have a great day

IMG20220407172355.jpg

It might be worth checking your crossover settings. If the low pass is set too low you'll be chocking off a the output of the subwoofer.

While tunning does play a part in output you should still be getting a good amount of volume at your current tune. For reference I have a single 15 tuned around 29Hz that will blur your vision all the way up to 50Hz where I have it low passed. This is in a crossover SUV that is bigger than your vehicle.

Frequencies heard outside the car aren't within a specific bandwidth as the bass range, with sufficient output, will easily be heard. What type of music are you usually listening to that you want heard? Honestly, tunning 32-35 will slap hard for most music types and still sound good doing it. You could tune higher but output gets peaky and your bandwidth really starts getting narrow.

You should show your electrical and amps, the specs of your box and the specs of your sub, how did you setup gains, all that goes into it. If you don't have all those well checked you are not going to be loud with any tuning.

Archived