new to sq needing help?

teardrop

im just looking for input on what i should look for in quality sq equipment such as class of amps 2-3 amps or just one five channel cone materials for best sound not looking to compete just looking for great sq in my 2017 civic si daily driver it has two 6.5 component up front factory locations and a 4 in component set in rear factory locations  im only wanting 1  12 or 10in sub or maybe two 8s and to replace factory mids and highs and processors for retaining factory infotainment center what should i look for in those i know this is a bunch of rambling but any help would be greatly appreciated thanks to all

SKAR_728x90-2.jpg

True, TRUE sq, can get out of hand fast, budget wise. Speaker location, is huge, as well as direct over buying 4000 dollar focal rigs. 

Ive never done a sq build, but, buying seperates, over comp sets seems ideal to me (what ive done) as well as processing, time alignment, location, direction, sound dampening, vehicle resonance at specific frequencies, and such,  then, that brings in tools.

You will want/need a good mic, laptop/3software,  and such, to show you bandwidth, peaks, valleys, direction, TA, and such. (Where a good dsp will help)

Source can be huge, lossless files/music is a full other bag of monsters....

A true sq oriented building is super satisfying and SUPER involved.

Most say SQ, and most just have decent gear in oem locations, and it sounds ok, and they call it sq. 

Gear,.. bring money. Most SQ guys, won't run anythkng but class A, or class AB. They are large amps, that make more heat than your generic class d turd. (See Tonys big boy, sq class holy fuck amplifer line, things cost more than my entire build)

So, its all up to you, how far you wanna go down the rabbit hole. Cheers and good luck. 

(I think most that say SQ, TRUE SQ, really dont have any idea what they are getting into, but, if you're willing, anything is doable no doubt)

5 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

True, TRUE sq, can get out of hand fast, budget wise. Speaker location, is huge, as well as direct over buying 4000 dollar focal rigs. 

Ive never done a sq build, but, buying seperates, over comp sets seems ideal to me (what ive done) as well as processing, time alignment, location, direction, sound dampening, vehicle resonance at specific frequencies, and such,  then, that brings in tools.

You will want/need a good mic, laptop/3software,  and such, to show you bandwidth, peaks, valleys, direction, TA, and such. (Where a good dsp will help)

Source can be huge, lossless files/music is a full other bag of monsters....

A true sq oriented building is super satisfying and SUPER involved.

Most say SQ, and most just have decent gear in oem locations, and it sounds ok, and they call it sq. 

Gear,.. bring money. Most SQ guys, won't run anythkng but class A, or class AB. They are large amps, that make more heat than your generic class d turd. (See Tonys big boy, sq class holy fuck amplifer line, things cost more than my entire build)

So, its all up to you, how far you wanna go down the rabbit hole. Cheers and good luck. 

(I think most that say SQ, TRUE SQ, really dont have any idea what they are getting into, but, if you're willing, anything is doable no doubt)

This.

Now, if you're looking to improve on the factory sound without going crazy (which I think is what you're alluding to) cost wise don't get too hung up on multiple amps and processors. EXCELLENT results have been had with a simple 4ch amp for mids/highs and a good monoblock powering a modest subwoofer. A good set of components in the factory locations and a small 10"-12" (hell even a good quality 8" is lots for a true sq system not based on overall sound output) sub will be miles ahead in sq than the factory system. Your biggest challenge will be making it all play with the factory system. If you're lucky you can bypass OEM amplification and retain full bandwith signals for your aftermarket amps. If that isn't an option then you'll have to research which OEM integration processors best fit your needs and budget.

Hi Teardrop! 

I'm new to this forum but not to Car Audio, and I worked in Pro Audio for over 16 years. 

6K is a fantastic budget to start with.  However, before everyone starts throwing equipment models at you I'd recommend you begin by figuring out exactly what you want from your audio system.  To start it would help to know what kind of music you listen to, and what you don't like in your current sound when you play that music. 

Second, I recommend visiting a few car audio shops in your area and bring some of your music with you and listen to different speakers in order to figure out what you like.  No 2 set of speakers sound exactly alike.  There are a number of different speaker styles, a wide mix of materials used for woofer and tweeters which yield wildly different acoustical properties.  And when it comes to sound, until you've Heard it you won't know what you truly like and want.  And until you know that, any advice you get from us will be literal shots in the dark.  Nearly everyone here who would offer ideas can devise a system with that budget that will absolutely sound better than what you have.  But it might not match with how you prefer your music to sound.  So going with blind system designs could lead you to wanting to make changes to your brand new sound system 3 months after its installed. 

So start there.  Learn what kind of speakers and what kind of "Sound" sounds good to You.  Then come back and let us know what vehicle it's going in, if it's getting professionally installed or DIY'd (or a mix of both).  From there we can begin offering advice that's focused on your likes and needs rather than our own preferences. 

if your truely looking for sq and not loud this amp is regulated and will put out 250 watts at 2 ohms mono and the price is way right.  Then all you would need is a dual 4 ohm subwoofer to go 2 ohms.

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-469-x1002-phoenix-gold-2-channel-250w-rms-xenon-series-amplifier.html

with this 10 inch subwoofer....A Hertz es250d.5 (its a dual 4 ohm)

https://www.soundoftristate.com/hertz-es250-d-5?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwu_mSBhAYEiwA5BBmfy_qIWYSB1vSsWKmNyMn1n-x4wiCFUhRSENEi9we7PbU3psD2zf2nBoCKEwQAvD_BwE

total price for all....310 bucks

Oh... 

As for the specific questions you did ask.. 

Number of amps doesn't matter so much as matching the Amps to the Speakers, your budget, and space limitations.  Finding the speakers first determines the Amp options.  As for Amp class..  A/B is better for a SQ Mids & Highs build, but they tend to cost more and since they're far less efficient they require more power.  So it depends on just how discerning your tastes are.  An Audiophile would absolutely spend money on quality A/B for the front sound.  But that doesn't mean it's truly necessary for everyone. 

3 hours ago, teardrop said:

thanks guys yea im not wanting to go crazy or super loud just sound really good  my budget is 6k or less 

You can integrate your stock head unit with one of these amp/dsp/loc devices, everything you need in a single device to install:

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/power-amplifiers/d-61200/

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/amplifiers/p-six-dsp-mk2

If you want a high power bass stage you can add a second amp later.

The Helix one will allow to directly stream to it completely bypassing the stock head unit for real sound quality.

18 hours ago, TheBKG said:

Hi Teardrop! 

I'm new to this forum but not to Car Audio, and I worked in Pro Audio for over 16 years. 

6K is a fantastic budget to start with.  However, before everyone starts throwing equipment models at you I'd recommend you begin by figuring out exactly what you want from your audio system.  To start it would help to know what kind of music you listen to, and what you don't like in your current sound when you play that music. 

Second, I recommend visiting a few car audio shops in your area and bring some of your music with you and listen to different speakers in order to figure out what you like.  No 2 set of speakers sound exactly alike.  There are a number of different speaker styles, a wide mix of materials used for woofer and tweeters which yield wildly different acoustical properties.  And when it comes to sound, until you've Heard it you won't know what you truly like and want.  And until you know that, any advice you get from us will be literal shots in the dark.  Nearly everyone here who would offer ideas can devise a system with that budget that will absolutely sound better than what you have.  But it might not match with how you prefer your music to sound.  So going with blind system designs could lead you to wanting to make changes to your brand new sound system 3 months after its installed. 

So start there.  Learn what kind of speakers and what kind of "Sound" sounds good to You.  Then come back and let us know what vehicle it's going in, if it's getting professionally installed or DIY'd (or a mix of both).  From there we can begin offering advice that's focused on your likes and needs rather than our own preferences. 

hey bkg i listen to all kinds of music from the 50's to today hiphop rock metal r&b soul country a little of everything im only wanting to replace the factory location speakers nothing crazy and a small sealed subwoofer setup  also would i need to ad anything to the electrical of the car im starting with adding some sound deadener right now next will be a dsp liking what i see in the audiocontrol lineup is the flac focals worth the cost or has anyone ever ran the  cdt audio speakers ?

SKAR_728x90-2.jpg

Archived