High output alternator voltage

So I’m looking into buying a high output alternator and the lithium bank that I have can’t handle anything over 14.8v, should I specify that to the vendor where I’m buying the alternator or should I just rely on my trucks existing voltage regulator (which I’m not really sure if it has an external voltage regulator) thanks in advance 

26 minutes ago, mdnjmmy0613 said:

So I’m looking into buying a high output alternator and the lithium bank that I have can’t handle anything over 14.8v, should I specify that to the vendor where I’m buying the alternator or should I just rely on my trucks existing voltage regulator (which I’m not really sure if it has an external voltage regulator) thanks in advance 

What vehicle is it? What year? Does it regulate the voltage itself? 

Do some research about your vehicle, and learn about its charging system. 

If your charging system tells the alternator to put out more than 14.8, then get an externally regulated alternator from whomever your getting the alt from. Lithium isn't something you really want to half ass with. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

You should get an externally regulated alt for a lithium bank, regardless of charge voltage.

Lithiums don't do bulk-float charge. It's CC/CV. i.e. you might want to charge at 14.4v under all conditions.

Archived