Second Skin Audio

2022 Jeep Rubicon 392 build help

I just ordered a 22 Jeep Rubicon 392 and I have a few ideas.  I'd like to keep the stock 8.4" Alpine Premium Audio System (RC4) head unit and existing sound system which is suitable.  I don't want to do any additional modifications other than possibly adding a few horn speakers to increase the sound outside the vehicle for when the doors and top are off.   I want to install a Sundown Audio SALT-8 with two NS v5 Series (1OHM DVC) 12" subwoofers in a custom enclosure.    I took measurements of the trunk space of a 2021 they had on the lot, from what I could gather depth is 28" from the rear of the upper seat to the gate when closed. Width is approximately 40" left to right.  Top to bottom is 32" which would block the rear view.  Does anyone have any ideas of a custom kerf enclosure (preferably wood grain exterior appearance) that would fit?  I want to do this right with no rock left unturned.  I know I need to upgrade the existing alternator 220 amp (BAJ) but I have not found any available on the market, any suggestions?  I plan to substitute the existing 700 amp factory battery with an XSPOWER D3100, it was suggested to me to add an additional two or three in the rear to supplement the necessary power needed as well as add a "big three".  With all of this I find it important to upgrade the vehicles suspension as it will be carrying weight that will exceed it's factory specs.  I'll also be adding Forgiato Azioni 26 x 14 rims which will need the steering enhanced, any suggestions?  This is my first time on one of these forums, out here in Long Island, NY I haven't been able to find anywhere that can even come close to the standard of what I've seen and hope to achieve to accomplish by the professionals affiliated with this site.  I hope to get all the components prior to the Jeep's arrival, I hope to have this all put together by the end of summer FY 22.  

1.  Rear Trunk Image .jpg

2.  Top to Bottom.jpg

3.  Door opening.jpg

4.  Depth.jpg

I went with a Gately. Super nice, built like a tank, look good, and have PROPER specs for most drivers. Expensive? Yep...... Worth it? Was to me. I didnt want to build a enclosure, dont have the time, and all my tools are an hour and change north of my home atm. So, i clicked buy, got it 5 days later. Done and done. 

Check em out,.. pick one that will work for your drivers, chuck it in, power it up, and let it eat.  Dunno if you know who Tony Damore is. He also bought a Gately the same week i did. His looks awesome (under the rear seat of his big ford)

(I really really like the color choice also. Looks tits imho, and is the proper size, rad looking kerf, tune/vent area for the drivers i chose)

EDIT here is the link to scope em out. 

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/gately-audio-17/

20220415_093716.thumb.jpg.67ba258707bebbbad08afa81837430b8.jpg

Your plans sound fun and should sound very good. 

Just figured I'd add, if you haven't thought about it yet, no use getting a factory warrantee. The second you start to install all this, it will be voided. Save that dough, and spend it on your build! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, Long Island Joe said:

I just ordered a 22 Jeep Rubicon 392 and I have a few ideas.  I'd like to keep the stock 8.4" Alpine Premium Audio System (RC4) head unit and existing sound system which is suitable.  I don't want to do any additional modifications other than possibly adding a few horn speakers to increase the sound outside the vehicle for when the doors and top are off.   I want to install a Sundown Audio SALT-8 with two NS v5 Series (1OHM DVC) 12" subwoofers in a custom enclosure.    I took measurements of the trunk space of a 2021 they had on the lot, from what I could gather depth is 28" from the rear of the upper seat to the gate when closed. Width is approximately 40" left to right.  Top to bottom is 32" which would block the rear view.  Does anyone have any ideas of a custom kerf enclosure (preferably wood grain exterior appearance) that would fit?

You have enough space to do 2 15s way more appropriate to get loud on your vehicle size, and it will cost nearly the same.

28 minutes ago, Joe X said:

You have enough space to do 2 15s way more appropriate to get loud on your vehicle size, and it will cost nearly the same.

I was going to say the same thing. I gave up some room (Roof rack can take care of that largely though) going with 15's. Debated the 12s vs 15s for a while, quite a while actually, and then, just said fuck it. I think going with more cone, is always a win. I'm not running much power at all (Damore 1500.1 at .5, may add a second, if I think it needs it) so, the large enclosure with 15's should get the low end volume up quite a bit, and way easier (efficient). Not to mention, I can unplug the leads, and yank it out, in about 25 seconds if and or when I need all the room for long camping trips or what have you. Not being able to get out as much as I'd like (yet) , giving that space up, to me, is worth.  

Excellent shares and advice fellas.  I thought about 15's but according to the width of the "Gately" to fit a pair of 15" Sundown Audio NSv.5's I just don't see it unless there is a way of squeezing the width and raising the overall height of the box to allow for the recommended port area of 68 sq in per subwoofer.  I don't have the skills nor do I know anyone even remotely close to my area "Suffolk County, NY" that can develop a quality, custom enclosure that would fit in the vehicle, properly house these monsters, and withstand the test of time in order for them to perform appropriately.  If there is any reputable business known that has successfully manufactured something like this, I'd be willing to reach out and get it in motion.  Why not 15"!!!!  

The factory warranty is definitely a concern, I want to see if there is a way I could isolate the power demands of the subwoofers from the existing electrical system in a way that prevents any catastrophic dilemmas.  I was considering adding an alternator but the friggin 392 engine doesn't leave much room to spare lol.  I'm a firm believer in overkill when it comes to preserving the equipment as well as the vehicle, just need to conduct more research to see if there are any possible options.  

Thanks again for the feedback, truly helpful and inspiring to know there are like minded bass fanatics out there that grasp the insanity!  I look forward to any suggestions in getting this dream to reality.  I don't look to compete, it's more or less a self gratifying endeavor to listen to music the way it needs to be heard!  I finished up with over 20 years in the Army and I want to enjoy some loud ass music without all the restrictions I had to deal with imposed by the countless military installations.    

15 minutes ago, Long Island Joe said:

Excellent shares and advice fellas.  I thought about 15's but according to the width of the "Gately" to fit a pair of 15" Sundown Audio NSv.5's I just don't see it unless there is a way of squeezing the width and raising the overall height of the box to allow for the recommended port area of 68 sq in per subwoofer.  I don't have the skills nor do I know anyone even remotely close to my area "Suffolk County, NY" that can develop a quality, custom enclosure that would fit in the vehicle, properly house these monsters, and withstand the test of time in order for them to perform appropriately.  If there is any reputable business known that has successfully manufactured something like this, I'd be willing to reach out and get it in motion.  Why not 15"!!!!  

The factory warranty is definitely a concern, I want to see if there is a way I could isolate the power demands of the subwoofers from the existing electrical system in a way that prevents any catastrophic dilemmas.  I was considering adding an alternator but the friggin 392 engine doesn't leave much room to spare lol.  I'm a firm believer in overkill when it comes to preserving the equipment as well as the vehicle, just need to conduct more research to see if there are any possible options.  

Thanks again for the feedback, truly helpful and inspiring to know there are like minded bass fanatics out there that grasp the insanity!  I look forward to any suggestions in getting this dream to reality.  I don't look to compete, it's more or less a self gratifying endeavor to listen to music the way it needs to be heard!  I finished up with over 20 years in the Army and I want to enjoy some loud ass music without all the restrictions I had to deal with imposed by the countless military installations.    

Awesome. Good stuff mate. And, a late welcome. Are you going to add more reserve/2nd battery? For both audio, and camping/peace of mind? Also, if you can spare the time, could you get a pic of the entire rig, as well as a shot of the sex under the hood?  Id love to see it. Man, you are lucky. I wish Toyota stuck a locker in the front of the 4 runner. Feelsbadman. I am actually going down to Moab (I live in Utah) this weekend. Gonna run 2 planned trails. And chicken corners if time allows. My roof rack is going to be put to the test, because I'm taking the subs with me lol. 95% of everything 3 people are packing, is going on the roof. I have some RSG sliders, that got here 8 days ago, sitting in my carport. I need to raptor line em, and get them tossed on, but have been pulling double shifts the last 9 days. I got tonight, and tomorrow night, then I'm off till Wednesday .....  I also have to hook the amplifier up for the subs, get everything wired and screwed down. Ton to do, but I'm looking hella forward to getting down south. Super stoked. Cheers my guy, and best of luck pushing forward. 

There's plenty of people who sell custom sub box designs to your specifications.   Caraudiofabrication.com is the one I've used myself.  Mark makes Excellent designs with detailed blueprints.  Tell him the speakers you want to use, the space you have to work with, style of music you listen to and kinda sound and box your looking for and he will design it for you.  If you don't know how to build it yourself he has 6+ years of YouTube videos teaching how to build the most intricate custom fab installs, including sub enclosures.  This way you can get a top of the line design wherever you live. Even if all you have is basic tools a Sub box isn't all that hard to build.  Circular saw, jigsaw, router, and drill are all the power tools really needed. 

Again there are other companies out there that sell custom designs.  When you don't have access to good installers that's the alternative I recommend.  Mark is the best YouTube Car Audio Teacher I've seen online, even if his voice takes a little getting used to (sorry Mark), and the one I personally recommend.  But others might recommend someone else your familiar with.  Either way, that's the route I'd steer you towards. 

On 4/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, Long Island Joe said:

Hey Fellas,

Looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!  The 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 has an extremely limited engine compartment.  I'm dead in the water unless someone knows of a fabricator who can create a bracket that can allow for an additional alternator.  Swapping out the existing alternator is possible but it will void out any warranty on electronics and it has the possibility of setting off the computer to go into protect mode.  I have to find a way to get a supplemental alternator to fit under the hood or plans are at a stand still.  Any suggestions would be a real help with this dilemma!!!!

Archived