What size power cable?

I have 3 mechman 400a alternators and a battery bank in the back. I am currently using one 4/0 power cable from the alternators to the battery bank. Voltage drop currently is from 14.8vdc down to 14.3vdc max. Is that one cable big enough to run the 1200a total from the alternators with minimal voltage drop, overheating etc? ( although i will  never draw that much, i want to have the correct cable size to do so, i like overkill on wiring etc). Should i have two or three 4/0 runs?  I looked up ampacity and cable size online but it is at like 35vdc to 80vdc ratings so im assuming with low voltage 13.8vdc its higher. 4/0 is rated 440 amps. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, groundwire said:

I have 3 mechman 400a alternators and a battery bank in the back. I am currently using one 4/0 power cable from the alternators to the battery bank. Voltage drop currently is from 14.8vdc down to 14.3vdc max. Is that one cable big enough to run the 1200a total from the alternators with minimal voltage drop, overheating etc? ( although i will  never draw that much, i want to have the correct cable size to do so, i like overkill on wiring etc). Should i have two or three 4/0 runs?  I looked up ampacity and cable size online but it is at like 35vdc to 80vdc ratings so im assuming with low voltage 13.8vdc its higher. 4/0 is rated 440 amps. Thoughts?

one run of 4/0 per alt to the bank , with 3 4/0 runs for grounds ...

1 hour ago, 02Blazer said:

one run of 4/0 per alt to the bank , with 3 4/0 runs for grounds ...

Great. I was thinking thats the case. Each alternator has its own 4/0 ground to chassis. So i will be adding two more 4/0 charge cables, one for each alt then. Cool, thanks

1 hour ago, groundwire said:

Great. I was thinking thats the case. Each alternator has its own 4/0 ground to chassis. So i will be adding two more 4/0 charge cables, one for each alt then. Cool, thanks

🤞

Archived