Disappointed with upgrade

So I went from a 3 cubic foot box tuned to 32 with a single 12” cerwin Vega stroker (1250w rms) on an audiopipe 1500w mono amp to two sundown x15s (the v2s, rated 1500w rms each) in a 8.5 cubic foot box tuned to 30 on a smart 3k. It is louder? Yes but not by much really. I was expecting it to be much louder. I don’t think I’m getting a true 3000watts out of that amp. I have a the big 3 done with 1/0 welding wire, single 1/0 welding wire run to the back to an energie 4k agm. I have a yellow top under the hood (yeah Ik, not the best 🥴)  

I set my gains using a DMM and I had to max out the gain knob to get my target voltage (77.45) and it still ended up only getting up to 74v. The amp can get really loud but it sounds horrible and is very distorted which I assume is clipping obviously and I’ll turn it down right away. My voltage stays pretty solid too. Seems to stay above 14 and dip below 14 when goin hard. Now I do have a smart bass 5k and an aftermarket alternator (dc power 270a) but I’d like to learn what the hell I’m doing before throwing all that in and solve my current situation while learning something along the way. 

I don’t know guys just feel like I’m missing something here. I really thought the 3k with two 15s would be a huge upgrade and blow my mind compared to my single 12 on that audiopipe 1500:/

You should never need to max out the gain to get an amp to make rated power so something is wrong.
Refer to my post on this thread because I'm not going to type it all over again, but this person had similar issues with gain voltage.
Then again using a dmm is part of the problem in these scenarios.

You have the 15’s hooked up to one ohms? … also I’ve seen a few examples of someone having smaller subs going to bigger inside it was louder snide the car and outside of the car it was a lot louder.. try moving box position if you can and the was the subs are pointed if possible….  Do they x’s sound better? I heard some of the stroker 12’s I liked how they sounded and I miss my bubbles dome stroker 15” other then A.A havoc it’s my favorite sub I’ve heard lol anyways

and what deck you have? Could be what is effecting your volts 

There's definitely something not right. I have a single x15 and with 2000W going through it and even the wipers bounce a bit on the right song. 2 of them with more power should absolutely slap you silly. I agree with Audiofanaticz that something seems off with the gains. Any chance you have a subsonic set too high or a lowpass set too low that's choking off the subs?

1 hour ago, BumpedCX5 said:

There's definitely something not right. I have a single x15 and with 2000W going through it and even the wipers bounce a bit on the right song. 2 of them with more power should absolutely slap you silly. I agree with Audiofanaticz that something seems off with the gains. Any chance you have a subsonic set too high or a lowpass set too low that's choking off the subs?

My amp does not have a subsonic setting but I’ll have to check out my lowpass again. I had it set to around 20-30 I think but I know right. I would’ve thought 3000watts on two 15s would be nuts 

8 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

You have the 15’s hooked up to one ohms? … also I’ve seen a few examples of someone having smaller subs going to bigger inside it was louder snide the car and outside of the car it was a lot louder.. try moving box position if you can and the was the subs are pointed if possible….  Do they x’s sound better? I heard some of the stroker 12’s I liked how they sounded and I miss my bubbles dome stroker 15” other then A.A havoc it’s my favorite sub I’ve heard lol anyways

and what deck you have? Could be what is effecting your volts 

They’re wired to 2ohms right now. My smart 3k is rated to do 3k at 2ohms tho. The cerwin Vega was awesome and I loved that sub but it was time to go bigger. They do sound better yes. I have a double din pioneer AVH120BT headunit 

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

My amp does not have a subsonic setting but I’ll have to check out my lowpass again. I had it set to around 20-30 I think but I know right. I would’ve thought 3000watts on two 15s would be nuts 

If your low pass is set that low, that could be your problem. Normally, people will set that around 80 hz so that frequencies below 80 hz will pass through at full power. 

I think that amp has a high pass, which is technically the same function as a subsonic crossover. 

Even though it's rated 3000 watts at 2 ohm, if your subs are wired for a final 2 ohm impedance to the amplifier, you can still be rising to 4+ ohms. That just happens. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

10 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

If your low pass is set that low, that could be your problem. Normally, people will set that around 80 hz so that frequencies below 80 hz will pass through at full power. 

I think that amp has a high pass, which is technically the same function as a subsonic crossover. 

Even though it's rated 3000 watts at 2 ohm, if your subs are wired for a final 2 ohm impedance to the amplifier, you can still be rising to 4+ ohms. That just happens. 

I messed with those and I think rise is probably what my issue is. Gonna get my 5k installed today and see how that goes. Gonna really have to watch my voltage with the stock alternator but one of these days I’m gonna get that new alternator in too. Watched some videos and doesn’t seem too bad

Archived