Sundown Audio

Taramps Smart 5 single RCA IN?

whoopdeedoo

I have a Pioneer 80prs with the standard red/white RCA sub output. I've seen 3 different methods for hooking up the Smart 5. All 3 recommend by some and criticized by others. Which method do you use/recommend?

1. Use a Y splitter to combine the L/R RCAs into one and plug that into the IN.
2. Just use one side of the RCA to connect to the IN. Taping up the other and letting it hang.
3. Use both L/R into the IN and OUT. Treating it like a standard connection and basically ignoring the word OUT. I emailed Taramps about this and they said it would work normally this way but the majority of people I talk to seem to be convinced this is a terrible idea and will damage the amp.

The perfectionist in me really wants to do this in the most optimal way but I can't find a solid answer as to which way that is.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)
  • KnuKonceptz wire and RCAs
  • Slam Panda knob (RJ45 model)

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

I have a Pioneer 80prs with the standard red/white RCA sub output. I've seen 3 different methods for hooking up the Smart 5. All 3 recommend by some and criticized by others. Which method do you use/recommend?

2. Just use one side of the RCA to connect to the IN. Taping up the other and letting it hang.
3. Use both L/R into the IN and OUT. Treating it like a standard connection and basically ignoring the word OUT. I emailed Taramps about this and they said it would work normally this way but the majority of people I talk to seem to be convinced this is a terrible idea and will damage the amp.

The perfectionist in me really wants to do this in the most optimal way but I can't find a solid answer as to which way that is.

I know the Sundown full bridge amps that have the single in and single out, they say you can use them both as "in". I don't know if taramps is different though. 

I would do either 1 or 3, depending what they say when they email you back. If they say it's ok,I would prefer 3, but if not, I'd do 1. I'm not leaving an RCA just hanging there

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

You can not use a Y adapter on a stereo signal if you go with option 1, it needs to be a mono signal like the one you get from the sub outputs of your deck.

13 minutes ago, Joe X said:

You can not use a Y adapter on a stereo signal if you go with option 1, it needs to be a mono signal like the one you get from the sub outputs of your deck.

The Taramps manual wasn't clear if I recall correctly but I can take a second look. I'm currently using option 1 with a high quality y splitter. My 80prs allows me to select MONO or STEREO for the sub output, so I selected mono.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

Anyone know why I'd be getting noise thru the subs when I hook up my universal rca style bass knob?

Tried 2 different knobs and different rcas to no avail, didn't do this with my last amp.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Anyone know why I'd be getting noise thru the subs when I hook up my universal rca style bass knob?

Tried 2 different knobs and different rcas to no avail, didn't do this with my last amp.

Sounds like a grounding issue.  Make sure the ground connection to the chassis on your Amp is really good.  For example the paint should be sanded off, the connector on the ground cable should have a large surface area making contact with the chassis (or with a washer in between as long as the washer too ihas equal surface area and making tight flat contact with grounding point).  It's possible the ground is sufficient for the Amp but the knob is adding too much resistance to the signal path ground creating an issue. 

You can also attempt to ground the knob itself to see if that removes the noise.  If it has a metal chassis that would be easy.  This could also create a ground loop depending on how the Knob is wired internally. 

15 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

The Taramps manual wasn't clear if I recall correctly but I can take a second look. I'm currently using option 1 with a high quality y splitter. My 80prs allows me to select MONO or STEREO for the sub output, so I selected mono.

If the Output is Mono then I would stick with the Y-adapter, that will capture the full voltage being sent from the head unit.  Actually if the Amp Output is simply wired in series with the Input then either solution will yield the exact same results.  Well  solutions 1 & 3 that is.  Never ever do #2!  Not only would you cut your signal voltage in half you also risk creating a short unless you cover the unused RCA with an insulated cap or electrical tape (which is likely to melt in the summer).  Just not a good idea. 

50 minutes ago, TheBKG said:

Sounds like a grounding issue.  Make sure the ground connection to the chassis on your Amp is really good.  For example the paint should be sanded off, the connector on the ground cable should have a large surface area making contact with the chassis (or with a washer in between as long as the washer too ihas equal surface area and making tight flat contact with grounding point).  It's possible the ground is sufficient for the Amp but the knob is adding too much resistance to the signal path ground creating an issue. 

You can also attempt to ground the knob itself to see if that removes the noise.  If it has a metal chassis that would be easy.  This could also create a ground loop depending on how the Knob is wired internally. 

Grounds are all solid. 2 1/0 frame grounds on clean metal. Only change is the amp, everything else identical. I'll try grounding the knob and see if that does anything. The way it sounds its almost like when I have a knob hooked up its picking up interference. The RCAs are good quality and shielded though.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

On 4/26/2022 at 9:02 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

You are probably doing the right thing but if you are just curious if you can use option 3 just check if the output jack is directly connected to the input one, you can do that with a multimeter continuity test and the amp disconnected.

Archived