Sonic Electronix

Amplifier not enough Current draw

I have a weird problem when i mesaure with a clamp meter how many amps my 5 channel is pulling at full blast throught the power wire it only reads 5 amps.. when we mesaure my buddys 5 channel it pulls around 40 and when we put my 5 channel in his car it does pull normaly around 35-40 any idea why my amp wont pull amps like it supposes 2.?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your buddies system, a lower load to the amplifier ?  ;) 

Ill be it is.... just heads up. The amp, will/can only put out, by the resistance (ohm load) your presenting it. A 10k amp, wont draw (make power) if presented a 40ohm load. Thats the way this shit works mate. 

4 hours ago, marxx said:

even when we play a test tone mine only pulss 20amp out of 90.. but in my buddys it hits almost all 90.. u can tell thers something wrong 

Ohm load my guy. I highly doubt you have the exact same nominal load. Then again, maybe you do.

What is your nominal load, and what is his. Report back. 

If your amp isnt going into protection, i highly doubt its "just not putting out the same".

What is your nominal loaf to each (5 channel right?) And what is his..report back. 

11 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

Ohm load my guy. I highly doubt you have the exact same nominal load. Then again, maybe you do.

What is your nominal load, and what is his. Report back. 

If your amp isnt going into protection, i highly doubt its "just not putting out the same".

What is your nominal loaf to each (5 channel right?) And what is his..report back. 

Just a thought, I don't know if it would make that much of a difference or not, just throwing it out there....

Would varying voltages to the amplifier effect current draw as well? If his vehicle has some sort of stock voltage regulating system that will send a lower voltage out than his buddies vehicle? Like I said, I don't know if that would really make that huge of a difference

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

@Kyblack76we both have 6 speakers and sub sub channel at 4ohm speaker channel 1-2 at 2ohm and 3-4 at 4ohm for both of us and like i said man even when i play a test tone to see the full current of my amp which is rated at 90A cuz it has 3x30A fuses it only reads 20A out of 90A in my buddys car when i put it it hits around 60-70 u can tell somethings wrong  even from the test tone..

What vehicle is it? If what you say is fact, and the loads are also identical, then your source is in question. I highly doubt there is any vehicle on the planet/made, that would "reduce" amperage draw of a car amplifier. What is your source again? Sorry, i dont really read anything. 

And you have used a dmm to see your impedance load to the amplifier, from your rig, and your buddies ? Sorry, but I am hung up on the load. Its what dictates what the amp is going to do. 

Archived