Wire Size for 400 amp Alternator Upgrade

Totally new here, even though I've had small audio installs over the years in separate vehicles. 

My truck is a 2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L

Looking to do the Big 3 install before my new alternator comes in the mail. 

I've read everywhere that you want to go as big as you can afford(and I prefer not to do things twice) so I purchased the Mechman 400 amp alternator, but I'm now having an issue trying to find a big 3 kit for it. I thought the 1/0 gauge was going to be fine at first, until I found out the amp rating was going to be too low.

I believe you want to use wire that has an amp rating higher than the amps rated on the alternator right? So I believe I need 3/0 wire, but I cant find anything offered for a side post battery big 3 kit. I always thought there was lots of products for these GM trucks?

I don't mind making my own cables, but just finding wire that large seems to be difficult as well. 

Any advice where I could find one would be great. Along with recommended terminals, etc for hooking up cables this size would be greatly appreatiated. Thank you in advance.

The answer is actually simple.  You Double up on each 1/0.  Meaning you run TWO Ground/Charging 1/0 Cables for each of the Big 3, and if you were running that much power to the trunk you would run 2x 1/0 power cables to the trunk. 

Whenever you double cables like that it's the equivalent of going 3 steps down in Wire Guage.  So 2x 12Ga = 9Ga.  And in your case 2x 1/0 = 3/0.

11 hours ago, TheBKG said:

The answer is actually simple.  You Double up on each 1/0.  Meaning you run TWO Ground/Charging 1/0 Cables for each of the Big 3, and if you were running that much power to the trunk you would run 2x 1/0 power cables to the trunk. 

Whenever you double cables like that it's the equivalent of going 3 steps down in Wire Guage.  So 2x 12Ga = 9Ga.  And in your case 2x 1/0 = 3/0.

Oh, I didn't realize you could do that. I thought I would be stuck trying to find 3/0 wire. 

Would the post on the alternator be able to handle more than one 1/0 cable? And what kind of post would you recommend for a side post battery? to connect the multiple cables.

Thank you for your reply.

17 minutes ago, Time2SHO said:

Oh, I didn't realize you could do that. I thought I would be stuck trying to find 3/0 wire. 

Would the post on the alternator be able to handle more than one 1/0 cable? And what kind of post would you recommend for a side post battery? to connect the multiple cables.

Thank you for your reply.

This is what I used on mine. Very convenient and clean looking

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/alternator-distribution-block-1-0-shca-ring-terminal/

Also, there is 4/0 wire out there. Sky high makes some good stuff and so does knukonceptz. 

If you feel froggy, Shok Industries makes an 8/0 lol

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

This is what I used on mine. Very convenient and clean looking

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/alternator-distribution-block-1-0-shca-ring-terminal/

Also, there is 4/0 wire out there. Sky high makes some good stuff and so does knukonceptz. 

If you feel froggy, Shok Industries makes an 8/0 lol

I really appreatiate the reply. Thank you for the alternator distribution block link. That'd very helpful, I'm just curious what I should use to connect to the battery? I think I've seen a JL kit that converts the side posts to a stud like top post batteries, then you can connect top post connectors to it? (If that makes sense?)

Or just find simple side post extenders for multiple 1/0 gauge connections?

I'm thinking 8/0 might be too wild for right now haha.

I actually have the Knukonceptz 1/0 amp kit powering my two amps in the back. I was actually surprised it just barely fits under the sill plates. I'm thinking I may have to run 2 smaller gauges now for it to fit better. But I guess that's a whole other conversation. 

7 minutes ago, Time2SHO said:

I really appreatiate the reply. Thank you for the alternator distribution block link. That'd very helpful, I'm just curious what I should use to connect to the battery? I think I've seen a JL kit that converts the side posts to a stud like top post batteries, then you can connect top post connectors to it? (If that makes sense?)

Or just find simple side post extenders for multiple 1/0 gauge connections?

I'm thinking 8/0 might be too wild for right now haha.

I actually have the Knukonceptz 1/0 amp kit powering my two amps in the back. I was actually surprised it just barely fits under the sill plates. I'm thinking I may have to run 2 smaller gauges now for it to fit better. But I guess that's a whole other conversation. 

What battery do you have under the hood now, so I can see a picture of what you're referring to.

Yeah, that 8/0 is hood, and expensive. I thinks it's $1000 for 50 ft lol. I was just throwing that out there because I thought it was interesting. 

2 runs of 1/0 is rated higher than 1 run of 4/0, so you can go wrong with 2 runs of 1/0. Just of you REALLY wanted to have just a single run, 4/0 will handle it. 

1 minute ago, Dafaseles said:

What battery do you have under the hood now, so I can see a picture of what you're referring to.

Yeah, that 8/0 is hood, and expensive. I thinks it's $1000 for 50 ft lol. I was just throwing that out there because I thought it was interesting. 

2 runs of 1/0 is rated higher than 1 run of 4/0, so you can go wrong with 2 runs of 1/0. Just of you REALLY wanted to have just a single run, 4/0 will handle it. 

It's just a stock napa legend side post GM style battery. I'll try to see if I can up load a picture to here though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+side+post+battery+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjzmN7Vtsv3AhXmn3IEHa_WAAwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=gm+side+post+battery+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIHCCMQ7wMQJzIECAAQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYUO8JWO8JYJ4PaABwAHgAgAFEiAGHAZIBATKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=mV51YrPoFea_ytMPr62DYA&bih=969&biw=1920#imgrc=LVx7XrTHLlLNlM

It kind of like this side post XS battery.

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Terminal-Ampper-Standard-Extender/dp/B089FD7T7N

Dam, that is crazy. I was thinking I might be getting a little more into it than I was expecting. I've never gone this far with an audio setup before. I just wanted the dash to stop diming when I got the stereo turned up lol. Guess its just like modifying my mustang, I can already see where this is going..

That's interesting, as I was talking to my uncle to see if industrial cable was similar to car audio, and it turns out it isn't. Different amp ratings. Sticking to 2 runs of 1/0 is probably easier, than finding adapters for 4/0 gauge and what not. 

Check Knukoncepts, SMD, and Crutchfield for Battery Terminals.  Also, there are adapters on the market that slide into the Power Cable 1/0 input on your amp and give you 2x 1/0 cable inputs if you need to feed it more than one cable.  Obviously you'd also do the same for the Ground plugs.  I've seen them used so I know they exist but I don't know offhand where to buy em. 

1 hour ago, Time2SHO said:

It's just a stock napa legend side post GM style battery. I'll try to see if I can up load a picture to here though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+side+post+battery+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjzmN7Vtsv3AhXmn3IEHa_WAAwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=gm+side+post+battery+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIHCCMQ7wMQJzIECAAQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYUO8JWO8JYJ4PaABwAHgAgAFEiAGHAZIBATKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=mV51YrPoFea_ytMPr62DYA&bih=969&biw=1920#imgrc=LVx7XrTHLlLNlM

It kind of like this side post XS battery.

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Terminal-Ampper-Standard-Extender/dp/B089FD7T7N

Dam, that is crazy. I was thinking I might be getting a little more into it than I was expecting. I've never gone this far with an audio setup before. I just wanted the dash to stop diming when I got the stereo turned up lol. Guess its just like modifying my mustang, I can already see where this is going..

That's interesting, as I was talking to my uncle to see if industrial cable was similar to car audio, and it turns out it isn't. Different amp ratings. Sticking to 2 runs of 1/0 is probably easier, than finding adapters for 4/0 gauge and what not. 

It's a fun hobby, but one that can get expensive, just like fixing up a car lol. 

By industrial cable, do you mean welding cable? 

As far as getting into it deeper than you expected, you do it right the first time, you won't have to worry about anything in the future. 

If you don't mind me asking, what gear are you running? Amp, and subs specifically. 2nd battery? 

In the interest of keeping things clean looking, I prefer something more like this

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/copy-of-sky-high-car-audio-6-flat-battery-terminals/

Or input style of you prefer

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-sae-4-0-xl-2-0-xl-or-1-0-4-input-set-screw-battery-terminal/

They make different sizes and different configurations. This is just to give you an idea. 

And to expand on what @TheBKGsaid, I think he's referring to something like these

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-dual-1-0-to-1-0-gauge-inputs/

They also come in different sizes and configurations as well

14 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

It's a fun hobby, but one that can get expensive, just like fixing up a car lol. 

By industrial cable, do you mean welding cable? 

As far as getting into it deeper than you expected, you do it right the first time, you won't have to worry about anything in the future. 

If you don't mind me asking, what gear are you running? Amp, and subs specifically. 2nd battery? 

In the interest of keeping things clean looking, I prefer something more like this

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/copy-of-sky-high-car-audio-6-flat-battery-terminals/

Or input style of you prefer

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-sae-4-0-xl-2-0-xl-or-1-0-4-input-set-screw-battery-terminal/

They make different sizes and different configurations. This is just to give you an idea. 

And to expand on what @TheBKGsaid, I think he's referring to something like these

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/sky-high-car-audio-dual-1-0-to-1-0-gauge-inputs/

They also come in different sizes and configurations as well

I appreatiate the time your taking to help me out. 

He uses cable for power transfer(Generator to panels that distribute to lights, A/C units, media use, etc), not exactly welding, but at that size I imagine it similar?

That is the plan, I'm hoping to just buy once, cry once and be done for the time being. 

I don't mind,

Kenwood head unit: DDX9907XR

Front door speakers/tweeters: Focal 165 K2 Elite (Full active I believe is how the speakers and tweeters are set up)

Speaker amp: Clarion XC7 420

Sub amp: JL HD1200/1

Subwoofer: JL 12w7

Amp kit: 1/0 Knokonceptz to a distribution block then powers the two amps. I had a shop do the install for me. 

In the future I'd like to run my 

JL HD600/4 for the rear speakers whenever I get speakers for the back. 

And eventually would like to do a second 12w7 at some point as well.

No second battery at the moment, I'm wondering if I should hold out and wait till I can get two batteries at the same time, or just one?

I talked with Mechman, and the guy says I should be fine with one battery as I'm not needing a ton of power out of it at my current stage. But then that means I'll need to buy 2 new batteries down the road?

He was also saying I'd be ok with just a single 1/0 gauge cable big three as I'm also not pulling all the amps needed through it. I guess I could always add a second big 3 down the road when I up the power needed?

I definitely like to keep the system as clean and neat as possible. 

I never thought to use those flat battery connectors. I'll be looking into those as they look like they might be the easier ones to do?

Archived