Just bought a smd dd1 and I connected my pos and negative lead to pos and neg speaker output on my sub amp. Set all settings to flat on my HU and played tracked 1. I’ll get to volume 32/40 and it will BLINK not stay a constant red distortion signal. This same thing happens when I set my gain for the amp after (I use track 5). The distortion light only blinks not stay steadily lit which makes it difficult to adjust my gain perfectly. My sub output level is at 0 on my headunit. I’m wondering if my hu voltage output is too low. It’s a pioneer AVH120BT. 

So I mean after the method I did above worked and it sounded nice but I’d like to tune it even more precisely. Would increasing my sub level on the head unit work? Or is that just introducing distortion. I’ve had issues before getting my target voltage with a dmm on the speaker outputs before as well. I was trying to get 77v and only came up with 71-72v

It will blink sometimes. It's the DD-1 stepping up the level or something (I can't remember exactly what it's doing. The DIY audio guy on YouTube talks about it on his video about the DD-1 and DD-1+. It's normal).

Keep increasing until the light stays on. Then knock it back. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

9 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

It will blink sometimes. It's the DD-1 stepping up the level or something (I can't remember exactly what it's doing. The DIY audio guy on YouTube talks about it on his video about the DD-1 and DD-1+. It's normal).

Keep increasing until the light stays on. Then knock it back. 

Well that was my issue! I couldn’t get it to stay a solid red 🤣 

Not even by turning the head unit volume all the way up? 

Edit-i just read it again. Your subwoofer level is at 0? I've read in some instances, a sub level of 0 is actually only 50%. Try turning your sub level up, and retry setting your gains. See if that helps. 

The great thing about the DD-1 is it'll detect any distortion. So, if you torn up your level, and get no distortion, then you're introducing no distortion, so you're not amplifying any distortion. 

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Not even by turning the head unit volume all the way up? 

Edit-i just read it again. Your subwoofer level is at 0? I've read in some instances, a sub level of 0 is actually only 50%. Try turning your sub level up, and retry setting your gains. See if that helps. 

The great thing about the DD-1 is it'll detect any distortion. So, if you torn up your level, and get no distortion, then you're introducing no distortion, so you're not amplifying any distortion. 

I’ll have to try with my sub level on plus one dB. I’ll let you know how it goes! Yeah it’s been a great lil tool so far. Also if you remember I’m the 4Runner with two x15s guy that asks too many questions on here! Just got my new ho alternator in and one 90ah agm to power one smart 3k and I’m already thinking about returning the agm and going with lithium! I think a battery delete will be super easy. Just need to check my vehicles charging voltage but I am thinking of running two Down4Sound lto 6.0

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

I’ll have to try with my sub level on plus one dB. I’ll let you know how it goes! Yeah it’s been a great lil tool so far. Also if you remember I’m the 4Runner with two x15s guy that asks too many questions on here! Just got my new ho alternator in and one 90ah agm to power one smart 3k and I’m already thinking about returning the agm and going with lithium! I think a battery delete will be super easy. Just need to check my vehicles charging voltage but I am thinking of running two Down4Sound lto 6.0

If you decide to go lithium, you should get an external regulator for your alternator. Read this carefully. Especially the part about charging voltages 592666227_Screenshot_20220510-051540_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.de44b20f1dc4d3ec3ca9d116298a05d0.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

The blink,  is in the manual. If ya read it fully. 

I did read about the blinking distortion light. It says in the troubleshooting section you are supposed to aim for the distortion light to stay on constantly then you go down slightly from there until it disappears. My issue was my head unit not putting out enough voltage. I had to raise my sub level from 0 to 6 on my headunit in order for that distortion light to stay lit. It worked. Finally got my gain set right and hu max volume figured out. Next step is lithium and my 5k amp is going in

16 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

Sub level needs to be all the way up on alot of head units and if I remember correctly been awhile since i read the manual the negative  is on ground not speaker ground 

I adjusted the sub level all the way up and it worked! Finally have everything set right. You are wrong about the ground. It does say in the manual you connect black to negative speaker terminal 

Archived