Second Skin Audio

Is it bad to play my subs till they stink?

58 minutes ago, Sundownslamma said:

I am new to car audio, and have a couple questions. it ok to play my sub until it stinks if I am not clipping it? If i smell my sub, is it ruined?

If you smell it, you're clipping the shit out of it (or reaching it's mechanical limits, or something asking those lines. Either way, your coil is burning).

It could very well be ruined already. 

What subs are they? 

What amp are you running? 

Any electrical upgrades to the vehicle? 

What size and tuning is the enclosure you're running? 

What are the crossovers on the amplifier set to? 

How did you set the gain on the amp(s)?

All these could be contributing factors to why you're smelling your voice coil(s)

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

How do you know you are not clipping? 

Edit -  And you can absolutely hit thermal capacity, and smell coil, even if you are not clipping. If you put a 17-NS1s on each coil, even though you arent clipping, you will smell that coil at some point eh ?

That said, if they are new, you may be smelling glue. I know my brand new sp4s back in the day, would smell sweet, just driving around on low volume. This was the coil glue warming up. It was not coil reaching thermal cap. 

10 hours ago, Sundownslamma said:

I set my gains using a oscope, and a 45hz test tone, so i know i am not clipping. I am running a Sundown sa-12 750w rms wired to one ohm off a SFB-1000 sundown amp. My box is tuned to 35hz, and is 2 cubic ft ported.

What volume did your head unit or source show clipping? What if any over lap did you use? Do you listen to any "slower/adjusted" music? 

How new are the drivers? Could it be just the new glue as i had happen?

On 5/13/2022 at 8:27 AM, Kyblack76 said:

What volume did your head unit or source show clipping? What if any over lap did you use? Do you listen to any "slower/adjusted" music? 

How new are the drivers? Could it be just the new glue as i had happen?

The subs are about a month and a half old, and my headunit does not clip upto 97% volume. I set my gain with the headunit set to 97%.

I do not listen to any slowed/rebassed music

Would the subsonic filter or lpf being set wrong cause a sub to get warm? 

2 hours ago, Sundownslamma said:

The subs are about a month and a half old, and my headunit does not clip upto 97% volume. I set my gain with the headunit set to 97%.

Doubtful. If the subsonic filter is set to high, less voltage would be put to the drivers. (you'd be cutting off low end), the low pass set to low, would be the same. Less signal, and to high, id think you'd hear the sub playing wonky shit (cymbals and shit). If you are wanging on it, and they just get warm, and you are certain the clipping is under control, I would sweat it, and just let it eat. 

2 hours ago, Sundownslamma said:

You said sub and now you say subs. How many?

Archived