Second Skin Audio

How to reach Peak Power? Can someone explain it

m4n1akx

Hello everyone , I`m new to this forum . I`ve been searching for an answer for some time now and can`t find it. 

So for example I have a 500 W rms subwoofer , and an 500w rms amp. The sub is rated for 1000W peak, how can i reach that , when I set my gains , I get only 500W then the signal clips.

So i will never reach 1000W peak. Buying a bigger amp for let`s say 1000w rms , and setting the sub that way will mean it will play all the time at 1000W (peak ) and blow.

Is peak only for SPL competitions where you do 2 3 sec of peak , or I should hear it when playing music in my car and a big bass drop comes in ?

Please someone... I need some light on this.

Peak power is when the bass hits that perfect note on your subs from the amp , you don’t set up for it , it kinda just happens. You have to have good voltage. Peak is just what happens on the right conditions. RMS is all you need to worry about .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

@Ron36and @Kyblack76 are both absolutely right.

when a manufacturer uses the term "max RMS", it's kind of deceiving. Can it handle 1000 watts? Maybe. Should you put 1000 true watts through it? Maybe not. When they actually have a specific measurement for "max", it's usually in reference to the thermal handling of the coil(s), but most of the time, wack companies slap a max value on the box to sucker in customers who are new to car audio and just see this huge number. 

Just worry about matching the RMS of the sub, to the RMS of the amp (say 500 watt RMS sub to a 500-700 watt RMS amplifier at the desired impedance), and setting your gains correctly. That will get you started on the right path. 

Stick around and ask questions. There's a lot of real knowledgeable O.G's on here. You'll learn a lot. I know I have

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived