Sonic Electronix

Setting gains without an Osciloscope

Hello everyone

I'm pretty new to car audio so I would like to learn. Thank you very much for your time reading this and helping if you can :)

I have read a lot of forums about setting the gains and a lot of them says to tune by ear , but I don't feel like I can tell the difference and I'm afraid to not damage the speakers if set incorrectly.

I don't have an o-scope , only a DMM . I know how to set the gains with a DMM but I've heard this is not the right way...

So I have a 5 channel amp , 1 ch to each door , and a sub. 

The speakers are 100w rms, 4 ohm each , and the amp can put out the same power for each ch. The sub is 500w rms 4ohm , again the amp can do the same.

So I have set the gains using a DMM , HU on 75% then adjust the gain until I've reached the correct voltage (20v for each ch and 44v for sub ) . I set them with test tones of 0db... now i've read that this is not right...( AGAIN ) , and should use a -5db or even -10db test tone. 

I've been running this setup for 1 year , and I feel like it's not powerful enough , i think even my small pc subwoofer of 60watts sounds louder .

So I started raising question marks and found this forum , read some old threads , and found out I'm doing everything wrong..

Can someone please shed some light.. 

I appreciate it 

The problem with using 0dB is consumer audio equipment is built around a -10dB reference.  Whereas for an alternate example Pro Audio gear is based on -4dBv = Zero reference.  Some ppl go with -5dB or -7dB as a safety buffer.  But at 0dB your definitely leaving a lot of gain potential on the table. 

As for your methods they're spot on.  Lookup the DD-1.  That's a tool sold on SMD's store (on this website) that can tell you exactly how high you can take both your HU and speakers until they Clip. 

10 hours ago, TheBKG said:

The problem with using 0dB is consumer audio equipment is built around a -10dB reference.  Whereas for an alternate example Pro Audio gear is based on -4dBv = Zero reference.  Some ppl go with -5dB or -7dB as a safety buffer.  But at 0dB your definitely leaving a lot of gain potential on the table. 

As for your methods they're spot on.  Lookup the DD-1.  That's a tool sold on SMD's store (on this website) that can tell you exactly how high you can take both your HU and speakers until they Clip. 

I've looked it up , but I'm from Europe and can't find it to buy here..

22 minutes ago, m4n1akx said:

I've looked it up , but I'm from Europe and can't find it to buy here..

I just checked.  Here is the Distributor in Europe:

Germany: MASORI
Daniel Hoppe
masori.de
Tel: 49 (177) 293-3128
Facebook: @masoriaudio 
Instagram: @masoriaudio 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived