Sundown Audio

Dual Sundown 15" E Series V4 DVC 4 Ohm

GoT_2B_BuMpiN

Ok, So I bought a Budget bass package from a reputable company. 2 Sundown Audio E Series 15 V4 4 Ohm Subs and SFB 2000w amp. I am finishing up my box build and it has come time to wire up subs and hook up amp. Subs are rated 500w each. I realized that since they are 4 Ohm subs that I can hook up 4 Ohm or 1 Ohm. The amp is rated at 950w at 4 Ohm ( which will underpower ) and 2000w at 1 Ohm ( which is twice rated power for subs) I contacted Sundown and they said to wire it to 1 Ohm, but not to Turn up too much. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pretty sure Sundown meant to not turn the Amp gain up a lot , I would hook up at 1 Ohm and start with the gain turned down all the way and see if they get smelly. Maybe run these subs for a year then you can always upgrade to the SA’s , that amp is perfect for them.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I honestly don't understand the logic of running them 1 Ohm with the very strong potential of blowing them just to gain 25 Watts per Sub.  That's only a +3dB gain.  Running them at 4 Ohm is totally safe as long as gains are set thru the system to run without Distortion.  You can let them amp do its Max in that setup and the Subs will be slamming.  Switching to 1 Ohm only adds the Bare Minimum Audible difference that most people can perceive.  It will sound just a touch louder while being just a tiny twist of the gain knob away from destroying the Subs forcing you to have to replace them.  

High Risk, tiny reward.  Not very wise.  If something so much as brushes against the knob it's over. 

27 minutes ago, TheBKG said:

I honestly don't understand the logic of running them 1 Ohm with the very strong potential of blowing them just to gain 25 Watts per Sub.  That's only a +3dB gain.  Running them at 4 Ohm is totally safe as long as gains are set thru the system to run without Distortion.  You can let them amp do its Max in that setup and the Subs will be slamming.  Switching to 1 Ohm only adds the Bare Minimum Audible difference that most people can perceive.  It will sound just a touch louder while being just a tiny twist of the gain knob away from destroying the Subs forcing you to have to replace them.  

High Risk, tiny reward.  Not very wise.  If something so much as brushes against the knob it's over. 

Google impedance rise my guy. Wired at 4ohm nominal,  when music is played (a dynamic load) , the board will see around 3 times that,.. reactive. 

(Good god ive been asking about that a ton lately)

Edit- honestly, i see more people blowing their shit, because they "expected more" from a board not even coming close to rated (crank that gain) than people "over powering," from a good clean signal. 

Watch or skip to around 5:40

A amplifier at 1ohm, doing around 5k on the dyno. The amp dyno is a reactive load test.  So a 1ohm test, is like wiring down to .33 nominal,.. ish,.... many factors play here, and no way to know, unless you test. 

Watch the 1ohm nominal load (the quad box is wired at 1ohm, NOMINAL) on a reactive load, and watch the power made. 

Now, wire that to a 4ohm nominal,... the power would be around half, or a 3rd of what you see there. 

A difference even to your ear, fuck ya,... 

Im with sundown here

Wire to one ohm, nominal if you want any power from the board. Or, by a 10k amp, and wire at 4ohm. 

Edit- daily drive a 1500, at .5. Competed around .33 for music (average time runs) disciplines, lower for burps (reactive load doesn't fluctuate near as much)..everyone in the lanes, does the same. 

For daily, a 1ohm load, nominal, is completely fine for his set up. Obviously, be smart, regardless 

Archived