Midbass speaker "box" designs and tips(please inform me of the basics))

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I've usually seen, people tend to run they're mid bass speakers off a 2 channel amp. 

You said you where going to run a DSP right? Well, in that case, you can pretty much run any amps you want, as long as the frequency range fits the needs of the speakers in question. 

To save some space, if you're going to run a 3 way setup, you could use a 6 channel amp. 2 channels for the mid bass, 2 channels for the mid range, and 2 channels for tweeters. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 5/30/2022 at 9:33 PM, Dafaseles said:

What I've usually seen, people tend to run they're mid bass speakers off a 2 channel amp. 

You said you where going to run a DSP right? Well, in that case, you can pretty much run any amps you want, as long as the frequency range fits the needs of the speakers in question. 

To save some space, if you're going to run a 3 way setup, you could use a 6 channel amp. 2 channels for the mid bass, 2 channels for the mid range, and 2 channels for tweeters. 

Oh if only I could, I don't think that they make amps that push what I'm going for in terms of subs, I'm planning on powering 2 G2 Dynamics Genesys Series 18" Subwoofer Dual 2 Ohm with the 

DS18 H-KO8 HOOLIGANSPL 1-Channel Monoblock Car Amplifier, Voltmeter, Clip Indicator 8000 Watts Rms 1-Ohm Made In Korea

I wanna thank every single person thar has helped infor me and given information it's amazing.  Hopefully I'll be able to apply this info soon however, I'm waiting on the winning lotto ticket lol.

If your wondering what all this information is going towards, here's a list of what I'm wanting to do:

Door speakers :DS18 PRO-X6MSE 6.5" Sealed Back Mid-Range Loudspeaker 450 Watts 8-Ohm

Custom console with speakers (same as the door speakers) total =6 wired down to 1.3ohms

Door frame tweeters:DS18 PRO-TW7L 2.3" High Compression Neodymium Super Bullet Tweeter with RGB LED Lights 240 Watts 1" Titanium 4-Ohm Vc (4)

Trunk wall sub box

Subwoofers: G2 Dynamics Genesys Series 18" Subwoofer Dual 2 Ohm

Mid amp: DS18 GFX-2.2K1 – Full-Range Class D 1-Channel Monoblock Amplifier – 2200 Watts RMS, 1-Ohm

Tweeter amp: DS18 GFX-1.4K1 – Full-Range Class D 1-Channel Monoblock Amplifier – 1400 Watts RMS, 1-Ohm

Subwoofer amp: SPL 1-Channel Monoblock Car Amplifier, Voltmeter, Clip Indicator 8000 Watts Rms 1-Ohm Made In Korea

Oh and did I mention this is all for a 2012 kia forte ex? 😅😂😂😂😇

The Mid Amp won't work.  That's a Monoblock amplifier which means it doesn't have Left & Right Stereo.  Running your Midbass Mono will sound terrible. 

Did you mean that between the doors and center console there will be 6 total, 3 per side? 

Also your concept of Midbass in the doors Plus center console isn't going to work well.  Again because of stereo imaging.  The only thing that can get away with being Mono and still sound good are the Subs.  That's because below 100hz our brains can't process the location of sound the way they can for everything else.  Leaving them running Mono will sound good.  I don't believe this would even fall into the subjective category, it simply won't sound natural to the human ears at all.  By the same token placing the Midbass in a L+C+R but leaving the upper Mids and tweeters in the far L & R the overall imaging won't sound natural either no matter how much DSP you use. 

If you feel you truly need that much Midbass then you will have better results placing 3ea 6.5's in a custom sealed enclosure in the doors, running them down to 2.67ohms.  1500 Watts at 2ohm amp ought to work.  Though finding a 2 Channel amp with those specs could be challenging.  You could use a smaller Monoblock amp per side.  Or... You might also find using 2 5-Channel Amps could work nicely, 1ea per Left & Right sides.  Channels 1 & 2 would power the Upper Mids and Tweeters, you could then add some rear Coaxials (or even separates since you'd have the additional amp channels) powered by Chanel 3 (again both channels 3 & 4 if using separates), then Channel 5 which normally powers a Sub could then be used on the Midbass.  Just a thought.  😁

So, in the front it would be 4 L+C+R and in the back L+R 

However now that I see what you're trying to say I understand and now I'm rethinking the total 6, I might not add the extra 2 anymore and just do my doors.

Now that I know a Monoblock won't be good for mids I'm going to look for a different one that is more specific in terms of specs because the other amp is a bit overpowered. 

Thank you for informing me of this oversight! 

The only reason I was going to add the ones in the center was so there would be MORE of a surround sound feel when your sitting in the front 

Same with the tweeters, you're going to use a mono block? 

And the HPF only goes up to 2 kHz. If you're not using a DSP, you run the risk of playing your tweeters too low and damaging them.

Are you for sure going to use a DSP? If you can let us know for sure, we can help you choose the best amplifiers for what you're trying to do. 

And, my apologies off you'd stated before, but do you have the necessary electrical upgrades to power all this? 

I'm working on doing the big 3, when I get the speakers I plan on getting the DS18 ALT300HD(5-7) Infinite 300HD Alternator With Module And Regulator. And more 2/0 (knuconcepts 1/0 kolossus-fleks-kable) for the electrical upgrades. 

I plan on going with an Audio control DSP, but I've yet to find one that peaks my interest, specs wise and output wise.

Ok, well if you're for sure going to use a DSP, you should be able to use 2 4 channel amps (one for the mids, one for the tweeters) or any 6 channel amp. You seem like a DS-18 fan, so they have a Hydro 6 channel amp

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/ds18-hydro-full-range-digital-marine-6-channel-amplifier/

And another one called the Candy 6, but it seems to be sold out everywhere. 

They have tons of 4 channels to choose from however. 

What features are you looking for in a DSP exactly? 

Archived