Midbass speaker "box" designs and tips(please inform me of the basics))

13 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If you get one with a crossover network built in, you won't need a DSP

So what type of head unit do you recommend? 

18 minutes ago, Alex M said:

So what type of head unit do you recommend? 

I can only recommend what I've used. I love my pioneer and I never had any complaints about my alpine. From what I understand, kenwood makes some absolutely amazing double din decks as well. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

There's a dude over at the Car Audio Forum that is selling a used one along with a 3 way B2 component setup for I think $2700. 

But you're really going to send "16,000 watts" to a pair of 18's in the trunk of a car? This will take some serious planning to pull off

Yeah, I've been planing this for about a month or 2 now, I've looked at sound deadening, and more wire, I've currently got drawing of how I was going to make a center console, but that fwll through, and I also have picked out a new headliner that I'm going to do so you don't see the sound deadening. I'm still kinda looking at boxes and how I can do the box to spec so that there's hairtricks and busted glass whenever I go full tilt, as well as making it so I can keep using the cooled amp rack I made.

44 minutes ago, Alex M said:

Yeah, I've been planing this for about a month or 2 now, I've looked at sound deadening, and more wire, I've currently got drawing of how I was going to make a center console, but that fwll through, and I also have picked out a new headliner that I'm going to do so you don't see the sound deadening. I'm still kinda looking at boxes and how I can do the box to spec so that there's hairtricks and busted glass whenever I go full tilt, as well as making it so I can keep using the cooled amp rack I made.

Well, first off is deciding how much space you're willing to part with. Just the trunk? Trunk box facing forward, back seat delete sealed off from the trunk? Or full wall behind the front seats? 

Measure that space and come up with how many cubic feet that space yields. Keeping in mind building the box. Making sure you'd be able to either build the enclosure outside of the car and get it in, or build the enclosure inside the vehicle. 

Then you decide on the subs and amplifier(s) to use. If you don't have the space for 2 18's on tons of power, well then no matter what you do it'll sound like shit. 3 12's on say 5000 watts in the correct enclosure will sound better than 2 18's on 16k in the wrong enclosure every single time. 

Also, to power a massive amplifier like that will take a lot! There's the planing your electrical plan and layout as well. 

Your enclosure, and your electrical support are, in my opinion, the 2 most important things that can make or break a build. 

Yeah and see I did have 3 12s in a ported box that I made but then I blew one of the 12s and there were some problems with the box and I just kinda wanted more, no needed more bass and bolts loose in my car lol. The problem with the 3 12s tho is it's a really awkward box that would slide around but if I ever tried to take it out of my car it would take 15 minutes to pull it out. So I know I want to do a box that is built into the car and whilst I don't necessarily want to do a rear seat delete I thought about removing the top part of the trunk in my car and doing a full wall build there and either upholdering the box so it's comfortable to be against or making my seats go forward so there's still a place for my friends and everything.  I've already found a way to be able to see behind me using the WOLFBOX G840H 12" 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam with Full Touch Screen, Waterproof Backup Camera Rear View Mirror Camera

So that I'm still able to use a rearview mirror is I do go that route. I completely agree that airspace and enclosure is a big thing towards making everything sound good.

I'm also trying to figure out how I can get more output from an Alternator because I'm almost certain I can only have 1 on my car due to engine space. Or a way that I could add an alternator.

Have you measured the space you're willing to give up? What are the measurements? 

Well, in the case of your alternator, throw enough money at a problem and someone will come up with a solution.... though that's not always the best route. 

Check the different alternator dealers and see if anyone will make you an alternator. It's important that you don't go cheap on your alternator! That's the heart of your entire car! You go cheap alternator from a garbage company, you'll have nothing but problems. 

Mechman, Singer, and brand x come to mind. As what they have to offer. And if you can go externally regulated, lithium batteries can pack a punch, though they don't like major fluctuations in voltage coming from the alternator, and depending on what chemistry you go with, they like a certain voltage to charge to. 

But first things first. Measure how much space you want to give up. 

So I've been thinking about alternators, but why don't I use a good quality capacitor? Wouldn't it work the same in terms of providing volts?

Archived