Midbass speaker "box" designs and tips(please inform me of the basics))

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Alex M said:

Also I havnt done any measurements yet, I know that at least it will be 40×20x20 somewhere around there

Capacitors get their power from the battery and alternator in the first place. 

40×20×20 will give you about 7 and a half square feet. You also have to account for the port. So, completely guessing, but that might leave you with between 6 and 5 square feet. I'm sorry, but I don't think you're getting 2 high powered 18's to work in that space. Just take the Resilient Sounds Team 18 for example. They recommend 4.5-6 cubic feet net (not counting the port or subwoofer displacement) per sub. You might be able to squeeze 2 Resilient Sounds Platinum 15's in that space (1000 watt RMS a piece). I'm not saying you should get Resilient Sounds subs, that's just what happens to be open on my phone at the moment. 

@Joe Xis much better at enclosure calculations than I am. Hopefully maybe he can chime in. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yes but that's my minimum size going off of the box I made for the 3 12s, so I know that when I do the new box I will have MORE than that, tomorrow I'm going to remove some of the trim surrounding my trunk so that I can have more accurate measurements and I'll post those measurements along with the measurements for if i chose to do a whole wall behing the rear seats.

48 minutes ago, Alex M said:

Yes but that's my minimum size going off of the box I made for the 3 12s, so I know that when I do the new box I will have MORE than that, tomorrow I'm going to remove some of the trim surrounding my trunk so that I can have more accurate measurements and I'll post those measurements along with the measurements for if i chose to do a whole wall behing the rear seats.

Keep in mind, if you're measuring the trunk, you have to be able to build the box, so you'll have to plan out the enclosure to be able to fit through the hatch, or to be built inside the trunk. Just some things to think about. 

41 minutes ago, Alex M said:

trunk box: 40x22.5×24

Wall build:44x22x34.25

From the looks of it, I'd say the only way your putting 2 high RMS 18's in there is a wall and that might be cutting it close. 

But again, I'm notdon't have much experience in box design, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. 

The wall gives you about 16.5 square feet gross and the trunk build gives you about 10.5 gross

One thing I would like to point out is that there may or may not be more room than that because I'll be cutting parts of the car off. In order to do the wall build.

Archived