Sonic Electronix

Gonna have a new build log Alice has a engine clatter so time to rip that out new car is gonna be a 2017 Equinox anyone have any information on this here vehicle already have a js 250a alt on the way for it

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

How much power are you going to throw in there? 

What is your plan for the electrical? 

Is it the 6 cylinder or the turbo 4?

You will have to deal with the stupid VRC (voltage regulator controller) in the vehicle.... depending on what the goal is, it can be a pain in the ass

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

10 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

How much power are you going to throw in there? 

What is your plan for the electrical? 

Is it the 6 cylinder or the turbo 4?

You will have to deal with the stupid VRC (voltage regulator controller) in the vehicle.... depending on what the goal is, it can be a pain in the ass

Well I'm adding the 250a alt and putting the equipment from the charger in it and buying another xs battery 2 runs of 1/0 for now and it's the 4 banger but possible upgrades after I get my savings back right after having to buy a new car and any help you can give me on the vrc would be much appreciated 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

3 hours ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Well I'm adding the 250a alt and putting the equipment from the charger in it and buying another xs battery 2 runs of 1/0 for now and it's the 4 banger but possible upgrades after I get my savings back right after having to buy a new car and any help you can give me on the vrc would be much appreciated 

Well, the easiest solution is to just stick with AGM's. 

Also, you'll have to find it, but between your battery negative post, and the engine block/ alternator ground, there will be this plastic ring. If any of your grounds bypass this ring, it can cause real problems with your charging and the electrical of the truck. So what I've found you have to do is grounds all the equipment to the battery (if I'm not mistaken, that truck doesn't have a frame. It's one of those unibody cars. I could be wrong though). Then also have 2 runs between the battery negatives as well. So, install your positive runs as you would, then do the same for the negatives. 

Now, to ground to the block, all that has to go through the VRC ring. They also recommend keeping the stock wire as well. So, what I've seen that seems to work best is to use thick wire for this run. For example, in my buddies Envoy, we're going to use 2/0 for this one ground. He's using 2 SKV21500.1D's. 

My cousin and I took the ring apart in his truck (he had to get a new one, so we where curious) and really, it's just a plastic ring with a metal sensor plate, that plugs into a set of wires. So (and this is just speculation, we haven't tried it) I would assume, if you had to, if you just secure that plate with the plug onto any size of wire, it should work fine. Though I would try just to shave it down, and make the inside of the ring larger to begin with before trying something like that. In Steve's Escalade, he was able to get 2/0 though his ring with minimal modification. 

30 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, the easiest solution is to just stick with AGM's. 

Also, you'll have to find it, but between your battery negative post, and the engine block/ alternator ground, there will be this plastic ring. If any of your grounds bypass this ring, it can cause real problems with your charging and the electrical of the truck. So what I've found you have to do is grounds all the equipment to the battery (if I'm not mistaken, that truck doesn't have a frame. It's one of those unibody cars. I could be wrong though). Then also have 2 runs between the battery negatives as well. So, install your positive runs as you would, then do the same for the negatives. 

Now, to ground to the block, all that has to go through the VRC ring. They also recommend keeping the stock wire as well. So, what I've seen that seems to work best is to use thick wire for this run. For example, in my buddies Envoy, we're going to use 2/0 for this one ground. He's using 2 SKV21500.1D's. 

My cousin and I took the ring apart in his truck (he had to get a new one, so we where curious) and really, it's just a plastic ring with a metal sensor plate, that plugs into a set of wires. So (and this is just speculation, we haven't tried it) I would assume, if you had to, if you just secure that plate with the plug onto any size of wire, it should work fine. Though I would try just to shave it down, and make the inside of the ring larger to begin with before trying something like that. In Steve's Escalade, he was able to get 2/0 though his ring with minimal modification. 

Alright thanks for the help looks like I need some 2/0 wire then and more zero gauge

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

Another thing, if it's like my buddies car, if you disconnect the battery, it resets EVERYTHING. Even the key fob. So read the owners manual and see if that is also the case for yours. 

He bought this 12 volt jumper plug thingy. He plugs it into a spot under the dash board, that keeps specific parts live with a 12 volt input, so when you disconnect the battery, it doesn't reset everything. 

In his owners manual, it doesn't say anything about that 12v plug, it'll tell you to take the truck in to the shop to even replace the battery. 

25 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Another thing, if it's like my buddies car, if you disconnect the battery, it resets EVERYTHING. Even the key fob. So read the owners manual and see if that is also the case for yours. 

He bought this 12 volt jumper plug thingy. He plugs it into a spot under the dash board, that keeps specific parts live with a 12 volt input, so when you disconnect the battery, it doesn't reset everything. 

In his owners manual, it doesn't say anything about that 12v plug, it'll tell you to take the truck in to the shop to even replace the battery. 

Ok I'm definitely gonna look into that and do you know what that video is that shows what he does to the sensor

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

22 minutes ago, Never Enough Bass said:

Ok I'm definitely gonna look into that and do you know what that video is that shows what he does to the sensor

It's one of the videos on the cadillac. I think it's the one where he's installing the alternator, but I'm not 100%sure

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

It's one of the videos on the cadillac. I think it's the one where he's installing the alternator, but I'm not 100%sure

Ok I'm gonna have to check it out after work and then figure out how much 2/0 I'm gonna have 2 buy and I looked into the battery thing I'll be ok my car doesn't do that

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

On 5/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, Dafaseles said:

He just bypasses it and has a battery light on

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

2 Sundown U series 12's

Xs power d3400