Second Skin Audio

Need some help deciding what to go with.....

So I had two 18" fi btl-4 in a blow thru, ended up frying the coils, so instead of dropping $500 on two recones I've decided to go a different route.... My options are two 12" avatar tsunami's 3000rms/6000max or four skar vxf 15's, my goal is 150+. 

I currently own a 2000 s-10..... But plan on getting another vehicle soon, hopefully another truck. 

I was thinking the two avatars because they won't require a huge box, but I know cone area is king. 

I was thinking I could achieve 150+ with the two btl4 but they proved me wrong, definitely a waste of $1200.

Anyways what are your guys opinions?

Amp is a Taramps md8k

The list of "150db" leader board on term pro, in just DB drag, is about 47 pages long. Just in the 1k class. Most, have 2 drivers, and not 18's.  Your vehicle plays a big role in metering efficiency.  If all you are doing, is chasing numbers, Id rethink your entire set up. 

(To me, the Fi btl, is one of the most rad drivers out there,.. i love them, especially for a daily ground pounder, but hey, do you) 

It’s all about your vehicle and airspace to do 150’s , more science then just throwing power at something, it all needs to hit hard and breath at the right times. People doing 140’s all day with 8’s on 1200 watts. It’s always the box.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Yeah pretty sure my box had alot to do with it lol..... First attempt at a 4th without much knowledge....... I like the btl's for sure. I think 18's were definitely the wrong choice. 

About 10 years ago I heard two l7 12's in an extended cab, stock electrical on a shitty Kenwood class d In a prefab and I remember it was hard for me to breath, so I'm leaning towards the 12" avatar tsunami's.

I've always had 15's and 18's.

So I'm curious to see how 12's will perform on 2500 each. 

I plan on staying away from 4th orders lol. Not my thing yet.

Atleast with 18's, the box is to big for my liking, I definitely miss having my bed. 

Are you keeping the truck If you want to keep most your bed I’d get a high powered 18 and  play with box ideas just my 2 cents but I’m far from spl box knowledgeable   I like odd number set ups lol

Lol, I don't mind odd number setups but it would have to be at least 3 or 5 for me, one isn't enough because I'm addicted to achieving a 150+ and I as well don't have spl box knowledge so I could never achieve my goal with just one sub unfortunately.

And kyblack I know that you know your shit.....what would you do if I may ask?

Cstroker what did you meter with your 6 lvl 3 12's?

• 2 weeks later...

A single sub setup can do 150. I can tell you first hand I did 148-150.1 on a single 12 multiple subs like RD SHW 12, RD Alpha 12, Aq HD12, Skar ZVX12 1st gen on to many different amps to remember, but basically clamping around 4k 2 seasons strong in both an escape and explorer in the kick on the dash usaci, dB drag, midwest spl Steve's shows can't think what they were called like creative nights or some crap. Where do you want to hit this 150? Dash, kick, headrest, outside the window? A burp? Music? I have seen a single crossfire xt3 15 do 152 no problem. S10s are loud! Honestly this question is pretty broad. You want to do a 150 at 20hz? 30hz? Doesn't matter as long as you do a 150? With 8k for power I think 3 12s could do it no problem on music and a budget cost like skar vvx, sundown SAs etc.

Archived